Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Flashpoint, by far, it was bad enough in itself and additionally caused New 52 and several of the still existing problems.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Miller is a double edged sword, because we wouldn't have a lot of the great content we have today without him boosting Batman's popularity.

I can't say I personally like his influence on Batman though. I like to view Batman as a hero, and Miller (and the takes inspired by him) lead to Batman not being remotely heroic.
    I think Miller's batman does have heroic quality or do act heroically.People just wierdly believe heroes can't be effed up.They want "not a particular" act to heroic.But,that particular character's entire history and life to be "heroic".which leads to dumb and unimpactful stories.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-12-2023 at 09:04 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    -Keep Jason Todd dead. Again again, make Death in the Family and death have some kind of real impact.
    Don't know, I mean in Jason's case his Death has at least still a lot of impact on the character, even if he returned more than 15 years ago.

In case of most other Characters (and that includes almost the entire rest of the core Batfamily), their death and return is often barely a foot note to their history.

Is it good or bad that the most notable thing I remember about Jason Todd post-resurrection was him getting his butt kicked by Viza'aziv?

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Don't know, I mean in Jason's case his Death has at least still a lot of impact on the character, even if he returned more than 15 years ago.
    Really? In what way?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Really? In what way?
    Not OP, but at the very least there is still some friction to the Bruce/Jason relationship stemming from his death, even though it was decades ago.
    Bruce and Damian have falling outs every year, and after a few months it is completely forgotten.
    Over on the Marvel side, Bucky 'dying' feels completely forgotten, as now the Winter Soldier identity has completely subsumed any aspect of his death.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Zero Hour was epic indeed but I understand that it suffered from editorial interference. Apparently the fate of the JSA was to be very very different. But in a way, it was the spiritual precursor to Infinite Crisis and War of the Gods in the way the lead up was handled. ZH had fully a year of build up in the League books with major threats leading up to ZH. While IC had a year's build up across multiple titles across the DCU as well as specials and minis.
    Jurgens wanted Zero Hour to end with the reboot of time including two Earths: Earth-1 and Earth-2. This would solve the problem of the aging JSA and, though I don't think he's mentioned this directly, it would also solve the problems with the Legion. If Earth-1 is restored, Clark may not have been Superboy publicly, but he might have traveled to the future with the Legion and used a flight ring his developing powers to have adventures with them.

Sadly, editorial (DC and WB) didn't want any whiff of a Multiverse. Once they were out a few years later, Infinite Crisis happened.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    Jurgens wanted Zero Hour to end with the reboot of time including two Earths: Earth-1 and Earth-2. This would solve the problem of the aging JSA and, though I don't think he's mentioned this directly, it would also solve the problems with the Legion. If Earth-1 is restored, Clark may not have been Superboy publicly, but he might have traveled to the future with the Legion and used a flight ring his developing powers to have adventures with them.

Sadly, editorial (DC and WB) didn't want any whiff of a Multiverse. Once they were out a few years later, Infinite Crisis happened.
    That is sad because they could've had Superboy exist on Earth 2 and then all of Legion history could've been replaced with Earth 2's Superboy, Supergirl, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    COIE. DC is still cleaning up the mess it made to this day. When you're still trying to sort out your continuity 40 years after and event happened, it might be safe to say it was more trouble than it was worth.
    I am SO with you on this. I enjoyed COIE when it was coming out, but what it did to the DC Universe was horrendous.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    This is what I opened this thread to post, almost word for word.
    If it would get too monotonous, I would respond to each post that says what bad things resulted from New 52 or Infinite Crisis as follows: "And that never would have happened if it weren't for COIE!"
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I think Miller's batman does have heroic quality or do act heroically.People just wierdly believe heroes can't be effed up.They want "not a particular" act to heroic.But,that particular character's entire history and life to be "heroic".which leads to dumb and unimpactful stories.
    It's one thing for heroes to have flaws.

But Millers Batman edges towards psychotic fascist villain.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I feel Flashpoint and the New52 broke a lot of characters, and I feel DC has failed to rebuild them to anywhere close to what they were. Crisis kind of did this too, but I feel it was on a smaller scale( Hawkman, and Powergirl to name a few).

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I feel Flashpoint and the New52 broke a lot of characters, and I feel DC has failed to rebuild them to anywhere close to what they were. Crisis kind of did this too, but I feel it was on a smaller scale( Hawkman, and Powergirl to name a few).
    Yeah this is the problem with the regular continuity mangling. You can't just replace history wholesale without writing it out.

CoIE started that, and the fictional setting never recovered from the first one. It's gotten worse each time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Crisis kind of did this too, but I feel it was on a smaller scale( Hawkman, and Powergirl to name a few).
    Well, Crisis didn't technically do anything to Hawkman - Katar and Shayera were still intact when it ended. Hawkworld is what messed both of them up by having it take place in the present instead of the past.

I'm not sure if TPTB had given any thought to what was going to happen to Power Girl when she survived the ending of COIE. Was she supposed to replace Supergirl or had the decision been made to wipe out all other Krpytonians at that point. Surely they had a reason for keeping her around but it sure turned into a pile of crap pretty quick.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post

Why didn't they want anything to do with the multiverse?