Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Have the Classic Earth 2 back and show the heros who debuted in the 30+ years since Crisis. Oh and Alan Scott is straight again on that Earth.
    You two should just move on, also that last one can't ever happen

“Corrupted”

Lmfao.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    COIE. DC is still cleaning up the mess it made to this day. When you're still trying to sort out your continuity 40 years after and event happened, it might be safe to say it was more trouble than it was worth.
    This. When you step way back, it seems COIE caused more problems, long and short term, than it fixed.

A number of major events have caused problems, but in many of those cases, the added problems had something or another to do with COIE, the father of problems.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-16-2023 at 01:06 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Have the Classic Earth 2 back and show the heros who debuted in the 30+ years since Crisis. Oh and Alan Scott is straight again on that Earth.
    Agreed. I wonder what Kal-L would have done when Lois eventually died. Did he stay on Earth or head for the stars?

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    You two should just move on, also that last one can't ever happen
    You should just be polite and quietly accept that not everyone shares your opinion and that that's okay.

Extraordinary Member

It's interesting that no one has listed the actual creation of the multiverse as having caused the most problems.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that many fans/readers really had an issue with the multiverse or needed it 'fixed' in the first place.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

So basically Flashpoint.

It coldly erased a very popular continuity that had been around for 26 years, and we'll never get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    It's interesting that no one has listed the actual creation of the multiverse as having caused the most problems.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that many fans/readers really had an issue with the multiverse or needed it 'fixed' in the first place.
    I think the problem was establishing, as COIE did, that the Multiverse was a mistake and that a single universe was the "original" cosmic design. The goal that COIE set out to accomplish could have been easily accomplished without destroying the Multiverse or even one universe. A story could have established the birth of a new universe and that would become the focus of DC's publishing going forward. Complete reboot, no need to force continuities together. DC could have also done this with Infinite Crisis or Dark Crisis, yet they continue to overly complicate the Multiverse concept to the point nothing seems to matter.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Agree, New 52 was the result of Flashpoint...so Flashpoint.
    (Although I enjoyed reading Flashpoint...it was the nu52 I hated).
    Have to agree although I liked the New 52 Huntress/Helena Wayne a lot her mini series was a great read and Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E was a very good series which I hope comes back
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Even temporarily replacing them leads after maybe short initial sales spike usually to a decline in sales.
    Afiak even the short era with Jon Kent as lead on the main Superman Book, and Clark being at War world, caused a pretty bad sales for the entire franchise.

I'm actually still wondering why anyone at the higher levels of DC thougth that something like 5G, that was afaik meant to replace them in the main line for several years, was a good idea...
    Oh thats easy. It is all about money outside of the comics. Why do you think so many creators want to create more knock offs of main characters these days. It is so if they get used in other media they get a piece of the pie. I'm sure the rights to Dick Grayson are firmly in DCs hands, but I'll bet money Grant Morrison gets a little every time Damien is used. That was the main reason Didio pushed so many new sidekicks while trying to get rid of the older ones. The bigger the push in comics the better chance one of these new characters gets used in other media

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Oh thats easy. It is all about money outside of the comics. Why do you think so many creators want to create more knock offs of main characters these days. It is so if they get used in other media they get a piece of the pie. I'm sure the rights to Dick Grayson are firmly in DCs hands, but I'll bet money Grant Morrison gets a little every time Damien is used. That was the main reason Didio pushed so many new sidekicks while trying to get rid of the older ones. The bigger the push in comics the better chance one of these new characters gets used in other media
    I sometimes feel like work-for-hire writers should have a teething period where they have to write exclusively IP-owned characters and settings, and not invent new properties in the hopes that one of their creations will take off and get them royalties in the future. But that should come with the caveat that they be paid a decent wage and not the scraps they tend to get for work-for-hire.

On the other hand, I contrarily love some of the throw-away characters that especially creative folk will come up with, like all the zany theme-teams that appeared to fight Batman & the Outsiders back in the day (Strikeforce Kobra, the People's Heroes, the Elements of Disaster, Force of July, Maxie Zeus' Olympians, etc.), so I'd be cutting my own nose off to spite my face if this ever actually happened...