Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    To read Power Man and Iron Fist.
    I read them when they came out 30+ years ago. It was always a good concept, but the execution wasn’t always the greatest. Despite some ugly stereotypes in Luke Cage, the original solo Luke Cage series and solo Iron Fist series were much better.

Also, none of that really explains why the OP wants us to choose one of Marvel’s two earliest black characters to be killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    So basically you're polling us to determine which of the few, long-standing, black male characters we would murder because..?
    This is where i am too. Like why?
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

I'm killing Sam. Look, I don't dislike Sam as Captain America, but I was amongst those hoping he would get out of Steve's shadow one day, and instead they double downed. There's nothing that Sam is doing right now that another major character can't do/doesn't do/hasn't done.

Luke is home to a very specific corner of the Marvel Universe, an extremely underrepresented one if I think about. You can't go through the last Power Man and Iron Fist run and replace Luke Cage with Daredevil. You can't replace him with Black Panther. You can't replace him with Blue Marvel. You can't replace him with Night Thrasher. You can't even replace him with the new Power Man because he's young I don't buy that he would have as many connections and as much street knowledge as Luke - even though his power is literal street knowledge. He's not overpowered. He's not a super genius. His stories wouldn't work if he was. They have not created another major character who can really tackle African American street level adventures like Luke, who respectfully depicts black people from the streets like Luke...except Sam. You destroy Luke, you're getting rid of the chance to explore that aspect of the Marvel Universe and that aspect of society at large.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    But why erase their history and legacy?
    So basically you're polling us to determine which of the few, long-standing, black male characters we would murder because..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Why do you want to kill off specifically black characters? Please, explain.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This is where i am too. Like why?

Whoops, I forgot that I was in the era of easy outrage, maddening conspiracies and covert agendas. Let me explain.

Are you all familiar with DC's Alexander Luther, Sr., of Earth 3? He was the only hero on that universe's Earth. For decades I thought it would be a cool idea if Marvel introduced a similar Earth, even if it was only a brief timeline in the current 616. One hero with every other character -- heroes and villains alike -- all being bad guys. But who to choose? Well, since it's my thought experiment, I've narrowed it down to Luke or Sam.

Oh, sure, I could keep both of them alive with one of them joining the ranks of the villains, but where's the fun in that? I could be tempted to create a composite of the two, taking 99% of one character's aspects and combining it with 1% of the others. Maybe Sam calls himself Power Man, but otherwise keeps his wings and abilities? Or maybe Luke is the pick, but his origin more closely mirrors that of the Falcon? I haven't gotten that far yet.

For now, I am settled on Sam or Luke as Earth's lone protector taking on the likes of the Avengers, Thunderbolts, the Defenders, the Fantastic Four, the Masters of Evil, X-Men, Apocalypse, Thanos, etc., etc. (Truly insurmountable odds, I know.) It would be great to hear passionate arguments from the forum goers for one or the other.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Neither. Love both those characters. Wish companies would stop killing off their characters.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Whoops, I forgot that I was in the era of easy outrage, maddening conspiracies and covert agendas. Let me explain.

Are you all familiar with DC's Alexander Luther, Sr., of Earth 3? He was the only hero on that universe's Earth. For decades I thought it would be a cool idea if Marvel introduced a similar Earth, even if it was only a brief timeline in the current 616. One hero with every other character -- heroes and villains alike -- all being bad guys. But who to choose? Well, since it's my thought experiment, I've narrowed it down to Luke or Sam.

Oh, sure, I could keep both of them alive with one of them joining the ranks of the villains, but where's the fun in that? I could be tempted to create a composite of the two, taking 99% of one character's aspects and combining it with 1% of the others. Maybe Sam calls himself Power Man, but otherwise keeps his wings and abilities? Or maybe Luke is the pick, but his origin more closely mirrors that of the Falcon? I haven't gotten that far yet.

For now, I am settled on Sam or Luke as Earth's lone protector taking on the likes of the Avengers, Thunderbolts, the Defenders, the Fantastic Four, the Masters of Evil, X-Men, Apocalypse, Thanos, etc., etc. (Truly insurmountable odds, I know.) It would be great to hear passionate arguments from the forum goers for one or the other.
    None of the people asking you why have expressed “easy outrage.” We’re asking you why you want people to choose one of two of Marvel’s oldest black characters to kill off. That’s not outrage. These are legitimate questions.

I think your question is problematic and inconsiderate. That’s not outrage. That’s my considered opinion.
    Last edited by Brian B; 06-01-2023 at 08:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

None of the people asking you why have expressed “easy outrage.” We’re asking you why you want people to choose one of two of Marvel’s oldest black characters to kill off. That’s not outrage. These are legitimate questions.

I think your question is problematic and inconsiderate. That’s not outrage. That’s my considered opinion.
    I am not worried about that so much....just why he wants to erase the characters history and legacy? Both Sam and Luke have some serious history and have influenced a lot of people over the years. Kill them off in an epic and heroic way? Sure...you could put that premise with any 2 long lasting characters like if you were to do it with either Steve Rogers or Peter Parker. But to erase their history and people's memories of them???
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

People taking Judicator way too seriously when the question is like asking to delete One Piece or Bleach.
    "Cable was right!"

At least the OP did not asked it in February!

Astonishing Member

Well, if this was 70s Luke Cage, it would be a no-brainer. As much as I liked Falcon in the 70s, Luke was a more interesting character. Luke lost a lot of visual appeal, dated though it may be, when he stopped wearing super suit. That said, Sam lost a lot of appeal when he became another Captain America.

Still, Luke could become interesting again -- and by becoming CA2, Sam is mostly redundant, IMHO, so Sam still gets slayed in contemporary times.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    People taking Judicator way too seriously when the question is like asking to delete One Piece or Bleach.
    Agreed. It's a game, and it's really asking which character you prefer. And I'm sure one or both of these characters will get 'killed' at some point, only to make have a miraculous resurrection. It's comics.

I do think, though, that both characters we better in the 70s. Of course, that's true of Marvel, in general. Heck, even the maligned 90s were better than now.

It really is a simple poll asking basically, who do you want to be the only hero if Luke and Sam were the two options? Everything else is just everything else.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I am not worried about that so much....just why he wants to erase the characters history and legacy? Both Sam and Luke have some serious history and have influenced a lot of people over the years. Kill them off in an epic and heroic way? Sure...you could put that premise with any 2 long lasting characters like if you were to do it with either Steve Rogers or Peter Parker. But to erase their history and people's memories of them???
    Must I give away the entire plot in order for everyone to respond to a simple poll?

FWIW, histories are wiped all of the time. We're currently undergoing quite a bit of that in Florida under DeSatan. Heck, but for Watchmen, many people would have been clueless about the 100+ so-called race riots in America. In this case, that reality will be a significant theme...much deeper and more sinister than merely a "forgotten hero" trope. Cosmic level sinister. After all, it's going to take someone that powerful to remove Sam or Luke and neutralize the butterfly effect.

Hopefully that explanation helps. I appreciate everyone's input.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    And I'm sure one or both of these characters will get 'killed' at some point, only to make have a miraculous resurrection.
    Hmmm...

One might be dead/never existed. Or he might not. But the other one will definitely live. He might not exactly have all of his original parts, but he'll be alive and live to tell the tale. He has to.

~James Baldwin

Pre the Avengers films I would’ve probably said Sam easy, but he’s become one of my favorites lately and I can actually see a lot of similarities between the two and would want to see them team up more than anything. How Luke and Sam have not teamed up more to tackle issues impacting the common guy I don’t understand.