Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default "Red Triangle Protocol": X-Men Finally Use Their Best Non-Mutant Power

Telepaths are a big part of the X-Men's world, with the "Red Triangle Protocol" used to mentally defend against them finally being shown in comics!

The X-Men have more than a few ways to defend themselves when fighting off the latest telepathic threat to their species, with the fabled “Red Triangle Protocol” finally being shown in comics, a moment happening between two iconic Marvel characters in Professor X and Storm!

A protocol that has been mentioned before by other X-Men-related characters like the ex-S.W.O.R.D. agent and current traitor, Abigail Brand, this failsafe plan is a type of psychic defense that helps its user push out any unwanted visitors in their heads quickly and effectively.

PUBLISHED 2 DAYS AGO

The Red Triangle protocol is very strong and Sunspot used it in US.Avengers written by Al Ewing in 2016, but it's limited. In Avengers No Surrender in 2016, Mentacle was successful in breaking down the mental barriers of Roberto's Red Triangle protocol and almost erased all of Sunspot's memory, but she was stopped by Falcon before that happened.

So basically it’s something Ewing created and is just using again in one of his more recent comics.

Call me when they use and build on something established by someone that isn’t themselves.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

When Ewing mentioned this defense protocol in the latest issue of X-Men Red, my mind immediately went back to this panel from Alan Davis' Excalibur:

Screenshot_20230531_091431_Astonishing Comic Reader.jpg

Days of Future Past's Kate Pryde resisting Ahab people's mental probes because, as a student of Xavier's, she was taught impeccable psychic defenses. The panel doesn't explicitly mention blowback but I'm nonetheless headcanoning this as the first appearance of the Red Triangle Protocol.

Isn't it just Xavier-taught psychic defenses that have been mentioned countless times before, but with a fancy name ?
    Why is it called "red triangle protocol" ?

I don't understand how anyone could keep any secrets from Xavier as long as he has access to the backups. Anyone who wants to benefit from the resurrection protocols needs to allow Cerebro complete access to their mind at least once in a while.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    I don't understand how anyone could keep any secrets from Xavier as long as he has access to the backups. Anyone who wants to benefit from the resurrection protocols needs to allow Cerebro complete access to their mind at least once in a while.
    People who want Xavier to be an evil bastard simultaneously expect him to be to weak/moral to engage in evil bastardry

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    So basically it’s something Ewing created and is just using again in one of his more recent comics.

Call me when they use and build on something established by someone that isn’t themselves.
    You're always such a ray of sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    But he would never do that!

Screenshot_20230531_145245_Astonishing Comic Reader.jpg

Would he?

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Why thank you, it’s easy to be with the current state of things.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    they hated him b/c he told the truth lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    When Ewing mentioned this defense protocol in the latest issue of X-Men Red, my mind immediately went back to this panel from Alan Davis' Excalibur:

Days of Future Past's Kate Pryde resisting Ahab people's mental probes because, as a student of Xavier's, she was taught impeccable psychic defenses. The panel doesn't explicitly mention blowback but I'm nonetheless headcanoning this as the first appearance of the Red Triangle Protocol.
    Sorry, but your description isn't factually correct... That image is not from "Days of Future Past"

BANNED

It's from, "Days of Futures Yet to Come", Excalibur #66.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post

It's from, "Days of Futures Yet to Come", Excalibur #66.
    I was referring to Kate specifically though, she should be the same Kate that we saw in DoFP.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I was referring to Kate specifically though, she should be the same Kate that we saw in DoFP.
    FWIW I understood you were referencing an issue of Excalibur that featured the DoFP version of Kate. Not that I have any idea how all those different stories are actually reconciled as far as this whole fancy multiverse thingy.