Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    That's the thing, though. If I were given powers such as this, maybe I would use them to enlarge my bank account or even rationalize going after those I oppose politically for "the greater good."
    And this is the reasoning that would make me a monster. I wouldn't bother with my own bank account, I don't think. If I did, it would only be enough to ensure my family was comfortable if anything happened to me ('comfortable' being upper-middle class only, 'cause I heard Biggie when he said mo money mo problems).

But my sense of responsibility would totally have me asking myself if having Flash sized powers means I have the duty to tackle Flash sized problems. And my answer would be yes, it absolutely does. Because you help as you can, when and where you can.

I know I'm not wise enough for that kind of power so I'd try to rein it in, but I also know it wouldn't last. So yeah I'd end up doing some pretty horrible things to resolve the problems in the world (or at least the things I consider problems). I like to think that I'd go to the wisest people I know and let them guide me. Just listen to the Dalai Lama and my mom, do what they suggest. But sooner or later I'd see some headline that would hit me just right and say 'that's it, I'm fixing it!'

Upside, I don't follow any political dogma. I have my opinions, but I don't follow any party lines and I'm evidence/goal oriented, I'm pretty moderate/centrist, and I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, so there's worse people who could take over the world.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And this is the reasoning that would make me a monster. I wouldn't bother with my own bank account, I don't think. If I did, it would only be enough to ensure my family was comfortable if anything happened to me ('comfortable' being upper-middle class only, 'cause I heard Biggie when he said mo money mo problems).

But my sense of responsibility would totally have me asking myself if having Flash sized powers means I have the duty to tackle Flash sized problems. And my answer would be yes, it absolutely does. Because you help as you can, when and where you can.

I know I'm not wise enough for that kind of power so I'd try to rein it in, but I also know it wouldn't last. So yeah I'd end up doing some pretty horrible things to resolve the problems in the world (or at least the things I consider problems). I like to think that I'd go to the wisest people I know and let them guide me. Just listen to the Dalai Lama and my mom, do what they suggest. But sooner or later I'd see some headline that would hit me just right and say 'that's it, I'm fixing it!'

Upside, I don't follow any political dogma. I have my opinions, but I don't follow any party lines and I'm evidence/goal oriented, I'm pretty moderate/centrist, and I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, so there's worse people who could take over the world.
    Heh. If you admit you're wrong now and then, then you wouldn't be that bad of a monster after all.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

I'd probably read Plato's tale about the Ring of Gyges first. Then I'd simply try to not use those powers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Heh. If you admit you're wrong now and then, then you wouldn't be that bad of a monster after all.
    Well, I'm a (mostly) functioning adult, which does make me better than a fair chunk of the political leaders we've have.

And I *do* draw the line at time travel. I am not messing with that ever. So at least I wouldn't be the monster who created a temporal paradox!

But any powers in the real world....anything you did would have such a crazy ripple effect you'd probably tear civilization apart just by existing.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Wait till on of those fancy G#8/12 etc Summits. Skin everyone there just to show I mean business. Get rid of the central banking system the same way... by force and absolve
    all debt. Eliminate the leader (and families) of every nuclear capable country, and every nebulous world controlling entity agency or power once their masters are out of the way it'll be easier
    to force nuclear disarmament and a return to some kind of reasonable money standard. Erase any vastly contentious religious leaders around right now, idk.

Essentially take a modern centrist view of things and free the world.

Try to chill for the rest of the afternoon.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Wait till on of those fancy G#8/12 etc Summits. Skin everyone there just to show I mean business. Get rid of the central banking system the same way... by force and absolve
    all debt. Eliminate the leader (and families) of every nuclear capable country, and every nebulous world controlling entity agency or power once their masters are out of the way it'll be easier
    to force nuclear disarmament and a return to some kind of reasonable money standard. Erase any vastly contentious religious leaders around right now, idk.

wake up after your nap to find out global thermonuclear war already is over, and your house is a dilapidated ruin. :d

I don’t like to run so I’m not sure. Just the thought makes me tired.

Retired

If I had Barry Allen's powers, I would travel back in time to save my mother and then save my father.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post

We'd want Cyborg's powers to really pull that off. As a Flash, all I can think of doing is vibrating corporate/world leaders to dust and threatening to do the same to the next guy if he doesn't get in line with my demands (also centrist-moderate). It'd require constant oversight and I'm exhausted just thinking about it. But with Vic's powers I could take all the lines of power and money, tangle them up in a way nobody would ever untie, and reallocate resources where they need to actually go. Basically just digitally take over the global economy/banking system and decide who gets what. And anyone who needs to go away (or physical records that need to burn) can still get a drone. And I wouldn't even have to get off my sofa.

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If I had Barry Allen's powers, I would travel back in time to save my mother and then save my father.
    I remember seeing something somewhere that suggests this wouldn't work. I wish I could remember what it was.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    My first thought is just travel. Having anywhere in the world just a few seconds away would be amazing.
    Me too. The only problem with that is that whenever Flash runs he perceives everything in slow motion so what might seem like a few seconds to everyone else will be a long time to you.

Of course another plus is to never spend money on flights or gas again. Lol.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I remember seeing something somewhere that suggests this wouldn't work. I wish I could remember what it was.
    Could it be a movie?

The first Superman move comes to mind