Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Do you think Batman being partners with Superman makes any sense?

Batman and Superman are referred to as the world's finest. Now, the problem I have is when Superman and Batman are in a fight with multiple enemies and superman has so much fate in Batman that he let's him handle superman level enemies.

For example, when Lex Luthor issued an arrest on Superman and Batman, both Hawkman and Shazam went to capture them. Superman had no reservation of having batman fight Shazam, who has no discernable weaknesses to exploit. And in other cases, Superman has allowed batman to fight super powered individuals such as Bizarro, Cyborg Superman, metallo etc on his own.

This to me is really reckless, since if Batman gets seriously hurt or even killed in the fight, the negligence would be on Superman part for encouraging it. Superman basically sending a normal human to fight Superman level beings and being ok with it. This to me is a betrayal of the character's morals and integrity. It would make more sense if Supes was paired with, say Shazam, since they are equals and he knows that he can handle himself.

And superman carrying batman on missions that involve superman level opponent's would eventually get him killed in a real life scenario. Say in this instance, Supergirl who laughs was entirely taken over by Joker toxin and had no qualm about killing. Batman would be dead and I wouldn't blame the bat family putting all the blame on Superman for encouraging it. Also, Bruce going along with this also makes him look like an idiot or someone who is really deluded.

Last edited by Harrynorine; 06-07-2023 at 05:10 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

One of Superman's enemies is Lex Luthor who has the same resources as Batman and is capable of defeating Superman and other beings of his caliber. So if Batman is just as capable at Lex, it makes sense that he lets him handle superhuman threats like Shazam without assistance.
    "Cable was right!"

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    One of Superman's enemies is Lex Luthor who has the same resources as Batman and is capable of defeating Superman and other beings of his caliber. So if Batman is just as capable at Lex, it makes sense that he lets him handle superhuman threats like Shazam without assistance.
    Lex goes to war with superman using high powered tech and exoskeleton armor. Batman still wears a cape and a cowl, and at best bullet proof vest, with the rest of his gadgets being on his utility belt. He should be dead in most encounters involving a superman level foe.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I think it's fun.

I'm really not a fan of Batman being able to handle overly powered enemies but Waid is doing a great job on World's Finest, as he often has Superman otherwise occupied with a fight or disaster when batman is being useful using his mind/skills. I'm not sure he can balance it forever, but it's working well so far.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harrynorine View Post
    Lex goes to war with superman using high powered tech and exoskeleton armor. Batman still wears a cape and a cowl, and at best bullet proof vest, with the rest of his gadgets being on his utility belt. He should be dead in most encounters involving a superman level foe.
    Lex fights Superman in armour cuz he wants to; he obviously doesn't need it. Batman beat Superman with bubble gum once.
    "Cable was right!"

This may seem a little nit-picky, but probably better to say they make good allies, rather than partners.

On a side note, always appreciated the title "World's Finest"...as in the two character's represent their individual world's finest offerings.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

I love the World's Finest team .

he constantly beats superman so yeah it makes sense
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Lex fights Superman in armour cuz he wants to; he obviously doesn't need it. Batman beat Superman with bubble gum once.
    Except he does, since Lex is a squishy human and would get 1 shotted in a direct fight with superman beings.

This to me is really reckless, since if Batman gets seriously hurt or even killed in the fight, the negligence would be on Superman part for encouraging it.
    Once you start writing things like this, unironically, you've reached the point where you're taking these things far too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrynorine View Post
    This is true.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I think it makes sense as far as mixing powers and abilities go. Both Clark and Bruce are skilled detectives with a knack for picking up on the overlooked-but-totally-necessary clues, but Clark's likely to find that trace amount of physical evidence while Bruce is likely to figure out the villain's psychology, and their other skills compliment each other well. Clark's got raw power while Bruce is great at being stealthy. They provide the ultimate distraction for the other; Bruce can be sneaky because Clark's taking everyone's attention, Clark can focus on fighting the villain/natural disaster/whatever while Bruce focuses on the villain's doomsday plan/device/whatever. Between the two of them, there isn't much they can't accomplish.

It's true that Bruce shouldn't be able to do anything, physically, to Clark's rogues. Even the D-list Superman villains are powerful enough to be extinction level events and they simply outclass Batman and his utility belt. But there's always useful stuff to do that doesn't involve punching Mongul in the face, and that's what Bruce should focus on. Of course, we all know that doesn't happen because it's easier to write Batman in the fight with bat-bombs, instead of doing something with his actual skillset. But in concept Bruce and Clark have a nice compliment of abilities, where each of them covers for the other's weaknesses. Together they're unstoppable.

But what throws the whole pairing off is the way DC turned Bruce into an abusive, paranoid, insane control freak, and reduced Clark to a naïve farmboy moron who couldn't get out of his own way without some impotent, nonsensical pontification about Hope. I can't see either character really liking the other during this era, much less working together more than absolutely necessary. But these days, both characters are written better and I think we're back to a point where a genuine friendship (or at least a positive working relationship) makes sense.

The real question, if you ask me, is what happens when Clark and Bruce are finally close to finishing their respective Never Ending Battles. The world Clark wants to build and the world Bruce wants to build....I don't see them as being able to (completely) co-exist. I think that once all the villains are defeated and the world is on the brink of a new age, when these two look at what their final obstacle is....it's each other. I think Bruce wants to build a future based on 'safety' while Clark wants one built on 'freedom' and those aren't the same thing. The future Clark wants doesn't have room for the kind of Patriot Act surveillance future-Batman often relies on, and the future Bruce wants to build doesn't have room for the kind of chaos that Clark's "trust people to do right" future requires. At some point, if these two live long enough and all other challenges are dealt with, I think they'll realize that they can't finish the Mission while the other is still active.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Each really needs the other's perspective. That's what makes them interesting, to me. One of my favorite stories about these two is Action Comics 766. Superman poisoned, Lois missing and Clark goes to Bruce to help him. A really well done story highlighting how the two really make each other better.

action_766vf.jpg
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think it makes sense as far as mixing powers and abilities go. Both Clark and Bruce are skilled detectives with a knack for picking up on the overlooked-but-totally-necessary clues, but Clark's likely to find that trace amount of physical evidence while Bruce is likely to figure out the villain's psychology, and their other skills compliment each other well. Clark's got raw power while Bruce is great at being stealthy. They provide the ultimate distraction for the other; Bruce can be sneaky because Clark's taking everyone's attention, Clark can focus on fighting the villain/natural disaster/whatever while Bruce focuses on the villain's doomsday plan/device/whatever. Between the two of them, there isn't much they can't accomplish.

It's true that Bruce shouldn't be able to do anything, physically, to Clark's rogues. Even the D-list Superman villains are powerful enough to be extinction level events and they simply outclass Batman and his utility belt. But there's always useful stuff to do that doesn't involve punching Mongul in the face, and that's what Bruce should focus on. Of course, we all know that doesn't happen because it's easier to write Batman in the fight with bat-bombs, instead of doing something with his actual skillset. But in concept Bruce and Clark have a nice compliment of abilities, where each of them covers for the other's weaknesses. Together they're unstoppable.

But what throws the whole pairing off is the way DC turned Bruce into an abusive, paranoid, insane control freak, and reduced Clark to a naïve farmboy moron who couldn't get out of his own way without some impotent, nonsensical pontification about Hope. I can't see either character really liking the other during this era, much less working together more than absolutely necessary. But these days, both characters are written better and I think we're back to a point where a genuine friendship (or at least a positive working relationship) makes sense.

The real question, if you ask me, is what happens when Clark and Bruce are finally close to finishing their respective Never Ending Battles. The world Clark wants to build and the world Bruce wants to build....I don't see them as being able to (completely) co-exist. I think that once all the villains are defeated and the world is on the brink of a new age, when these two look at what their final obstacle is....it's each other. I think Bruce wants to build a future based on 'safety' while Clark wants one built on 'freedom' and those aren't the same thing. The future Clark wants doesn't have room for the kind of Patriot Act surveillance future-Batman often relies on, and the future Bruce wants to build doesn't have room for the kind of chaos that Clark's "trust people to do right" future requires. At some point, if these two live long enough and all other challenges are dealt with, I think they'll realize that they can't finish the Mission while the other is still active.
    Doesn't shazam cover for supes better though? Supes biggest weakness are magic and kryptonite. Shazam is immune to both. For example, Let's look at this scenario where batman and Superman are attacked by metallo. Shazam would have been way better partner.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Well, since neither has any interest in being a dictator this would never be a problem. While they both want to help as much as possible they're both strongly on the side of leaving people to themselves unless they're endangering others.

Patriot Act surveillance future-Batman often relies on
    for emphasis, BATMAN IS NOT AND DOES NOT ASPIRE TO BE AN AUTHORITARIAN RULER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While excellent at the time, Kingdom Come did so much wrong and introducing this little notion was a big one.

However, a "What if an older Batman became the new Ra's Al Ghul?" could be fun.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!