Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Betsy Braddock: Captain Britain #4 - Review/Spoilers

This was my favorite issue of the series so far!! So many things I've been hoping for came to life here and this deserves a giant-sized recap.

We open with the preview pages as Betsy is fencing with Tony Stark in his operating base in Jersey City, NJ. She's in her beautiful dress from last issue and nails him with a thrust to the pec with her TK sword. He says he's rusty and she says he couldn't beat her on his best day. He admits that she handed him his ass and tosses her a bottle of water.

Betsy says she could use his assistance and asks if he's familiar about the Fury. He heard about the attack on the West End from the news and asks if they should suit up and go to London. Betsy says no, she'll need him in the countryside and explains how Morgan Le Fay is using a Fury to pose as Captain Britain and that both Morgan and Parliament don't seem to mind that it's hunting the super-powered. Tony says the Avengers are in and asks if she needs them to evacuate people from England. Betsy says absolutely not, that ceding an inch isn't an option. "And I won't be the Captain Britain who leads the super-powered away from their homes." She says the Avengers' presence will draw the Fury out to take a stand. Tony quirks an eyebrow, smiles, and asks if she's asking for the Avengers to be bait. She needs power to attract the Fury and she can't trust her brother Jamie and she can't have the X-Men help due to the anti-mutant sentiment in the UK. Tony says he respects that.

Betsy: Then you'll understand this too. Having Iron Man and the Avengers turn up for my cause is good for my image. And good for yours, Stark.

Rachel is meditating and hears a voice asking her if she seeks the sacred timeline. Suddenly a third eye opens up on Rachel's forehead. Rachel tells the voice that she knows the title Askani means she's caught up to some sort of prophecy but that she doesn't know what she's supposed to do to make the future happen. The voice tells her to say "please". She does and instantly Rachel is floating inside of a vast library. The voice tells her that the sacred timeline is not a single time. It is a library of lives. "Every existence in every form brings knowledge to us. But there is only one of you to protect it." The voice tells Rachel that it is the librarian of this library. "But all libraries can burn", as it shows her a photo of her, Scott, Jean, and Nathan.

Data page titled The Askani Record. It tells us that every soul, even those without eyes, can see and that through their sight gains knowledge through their perception. It tells us every observable event generates knowledge from the eyes of the observers and that every observer's perception is unique. It tells us that "Askani is the Library. These observations are all gathered and protected by Askani, for the time when the record of our souls is needed." Data page ends with the Askani prayer. "Thanks for today. Please for tomorrow."

Betsy walks into the living room of Braddock Manor from her meeting with Tony. Rachel is sitting in meditation pose on the couch while Meggan is in a beautiful green dress putting on an earring. Maggie and Amazing Baby are present while Brian yells from another room. "You just got back, Betsy?! We leave in twenty minutes!" Meggan says she'll be fine, no need to shout.

Not a hitchhiking bridesmaid LOL! Betsy jokes that she has to dress up, can't be the family disappoint any longer. Rachel asks if she kicked Stars's ass while she zips up the back of Betsy's dress. "Of course I did, Rach." They start to flirt and Betsy playfully asks if they should be a little late. Brian yells out from the hallway that the helicopter is outside and Betsy tells him to go ahead, she and Rachel will take a gate. Sexy.

Rachel telepathically says that while the press outside might not support Betsy, it seems the people do. "It's what you deserve, baby." Betsy appreciates the sweet remark then tells Rachel to down her drink as they've got somewhere else to be. As they walk down an empty hallway their charity ball outfits morph into their costumes as Betsy says they're on their way to somewhere far from a population center.

Data page, a two-page article in Woman Magazine. Very cute.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

(I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming this next scene...)

Out in the countryside Brian, as Caption Avalon, is waiting in a fighting stance with his sword. The narration boxes tell us that the Fury has always had one command, to hunt the super-powered. The Fury-Captain Britain from last issue is fast approaching from the air, confused as it believed it killed Brian already thanks to Betsy's illusion. It senses great power from Brian, more than it has ever sensed before from him. The bloodlust makes it insane, beyond rational thought. There is only one directive: Kill Brian Braddock. The Fury's sensors lock onto Brian when it's suddenly hit by a famous shield.

Iron Man: Nice shot.

LET'S GOOOOOO!

Captain America: Do you need any more help here, Captain?
    Captain Britain: I don't believe so, Captain. Apologies for using you as bait!
    Iron Man: None needed. Holler if you need us, Cap. You call, I'll answer.
    Askani: Snrk... "You call, I'll answer."

The Avengers fly off and Jamie starts acting strange as he was hoping Betsy and Rachel would have left too. Betsy says she figured they could all head home together but if he's up to something disgusting he can just stay by himself. Acting uneasy, Jamie tells them he has to "drop the thing he was supposed to bring". He holds out in his hand what looks like a miniature toy castle and tosses it. Betsy and Rachel rush at him to catch it but it's too late. It hits the ground and Morgan Le Fay's palace grows to life-size before their eyes. (This is the palace Doom acquired from Jaspers during his Excalibur guest appearance). The palace doors open and out walk Morgan and Doom, Morgan laughing and saying her dear home is hers again and on British soil.

Betsy TK slams Jamie against a palace wall demanding to know why he would do this to her, to England, to mutantkind. He says he owed Morgan, felt bad about letting her get experimented on when he was king of Avalon (during Excalibur as well). Betsy tells Doom Morgan is using him, that he's pathetic to hang on to her palace like a favor. She also threatens to kick Morgan's arse.

Doom tells Betsy he has no interest in personal conflicts with her but if she moves on Morgan, Latveria will come to Morgan's aid. This is not Doom's promise, it's the promise of a nation. For the sake of the land, the sake of the sorcery of the world, Morgan Le Fay must stand in Britain. "And Doom will protect her with Latveria." Betsy yells at him for threatening war across Europe, calling him mad and a coward for waiting until the Avengers left.

Doom: Tell them, Braddock. I want them to know.
    Rachel: C'mon, Betsy. Can't do anything about it now.

Doom says Britain is not Betsy's to rule and that this is Morgan's home. Betsy begrudgingly agrees, grabs Jamie by the ear and drags him with her as she and Rachel fly off. Back at Braddock Manor Jamie is sitting in a chair as the adults stand over and yell at him, floating different ideas of what to do with him (Betsy suggests Major Tom'ing him out to the Negative Zone, etc.) when Maggie calls them into the dining room. She's brought out the dolls and wants to have a strategy meeting, asking Aunt Betsy to catch everyone up. Betsy explains that Morgan's castle is now "smack in the moorlands on some nationally owned" land and the government is not likely to kick her off it. The larger problem is Doctor Doom and his threats of war. (Maggie's makeshift doll of Morgan is hilarious). Maggie says an all-out assault on Morgan's home is out of the question and Rachel says if Morgan insists on staying in Britain then maybe they should just work on protecting the people from her. Betsy says Rachel might be on to something and seems to start creating a plan.

She calls for S.T.R.I.K.E. and soon Wisdom, Tom (who looks pretty hot), and Alison join them. Betsy tells them that they have to get into Morgan's castle and work from the inside out. That if Morgan wants Britain she has to cooperate with the land and if she needs the magic of the land, she needs Betsy. And they have to make Morgan think it was all her idea. They need to execute an op not just with psychic tricks but also "all of the old ones too". Alison looks delighted and says she just psychically looped Kevin and Vicki on the plan and they're in. Maggie says, "Aunt Betsy!"

Spy games on deck!

We then have the final page...

Goosebumps. Anyone who has read Brian's first encounters with the Fury knows the horror of those scenes and he wants to finally settle the score.

This issue was an absolute homerun. Howard gave us a confident and flirty Betsy as she negotiated with Tony, referenced her time as a famous international model, positive interactions with the public which I've been hoping for. Betsy was joyous and lovable as she spoke to the press. We then got an incredible moment with the Avengers. They trusted her plan and executed it, acknowledging her standing as Captain Britain and offered to help out anytime she needs them. We got a ton of family dynamics and coming up it looks like we're getting a return to her spy expertise and tactics, a part of her history that has been largely ignored. So much respect is shown to her history. I couldn't be happier with this issue, truly!

If Rachel wasn't in this issue I'd give it a 4/5. She was the only negative.

I'm feeling Howard has been playing with the possibility of killing Brian since Fury's UK attack last issue.
    Now his fighting by himself against the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    If Rachel wasn't in this issue I'd give it a 4/5. She was the only negative.
    I kinda want a mini of her Askani journey since that's so unique to her and will allow her to shine solo. She can meet all kinds of characters while traversing the timelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    I'm feeling Howard has been playing with the possibility of killing Brian since Fury's UK attack last issue.
    Now his fighting by himself against the enemy.
    I thought about that for a moment too but I've been hearing whispers that the series might end on a high note. It would be pretty cool for him to face one of his greatest and oldest foes and truly beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I kinda want a mini of her Askani journey since that's so unique to her and will allow her to shine solo. She can meet all kinds of characters while traversing the timelines.
    That could be interesting as long as someone else was writing it and Rachel was allowed a personality beyond "I date Betsy." Didn't she beat up Thor during AvX? Why does she need to be introduced to the Avengers like they don't know who she is?

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    That could be interesting as long as someone else was writing it and Rachel was allowed a personality beyond "I date Betsy." Didn't she beat up Thor during AvX? Why does she need to be introduced to the Avengers like they don't know who she is?
    Maybe the Avengers are like those people one meets several times at parties but they don't remember lol

Maybe the Avengers are like those people one meets several times at parties but they don't remember lol
    STOP why is this so accurate?

I also read it as Betsy introducing them to their relationship & Rachel's new superhero name.

Ngl Rachel in that suit was doing things to me. I do think the “THIS IS MY GIRLFRIEND!”, stuff was a bit excessive after the charity event did it once, but I imagine Howard is trying to cement this relationship as much as possible so Marvel doesn’t break them up the minute she’s off the books.

My ONLY other gripe was that this issue did not feel like a penultimate issue and I have a feeling issue #5 is going to be rushing to a conclusion.

I hope they’ll continue askani plot after that book ends

BANNED

Umm... Is there an in-story reason why the Avengers don't know who Rachel is anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    STOP why is this so accurate?

I also read it as Betsy introducing them to their relationship & Rachel's new superhero name.
    Yeah that tracks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Ngl Rachel in that suit was doing things to me. I do think the “THIS IS MY GIRLFRIEND!”, stuff was a bit excessive after the charity event did it once, but I imagine Howard is trying to cement this relationship as much as possible so Marvel doesn’t break them up the minute she’s off the books.

My ONLY other gripe was that this issue did not feel like a penultimate issue and I have a feeling issue #5 is going to be rushing to a conclusion.
    I'm thinking we may not get the massive brawl I was hoping for in issue #5 but hopefully we get some cool spy/stealth work while Brian pummels the Fury.

Sidenote: Violet Swan is a poet and I want to read her poetry.

Howard's writing isn't for me and I drifted away from her work in this era a long time ago, but that page of Betsy with the Avengers is awesome.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."