Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

This was my least favorite so far. All of TH's weak points were back in play. Disjointed writing, contrived motivations, things just happening for the sake of happening (Jamie's dumb move?). Every interaction with Rachel is incredibly annoying and plays out the same way every issue "We're girlfriends, we're dating, let's make out" and nothing else. But the Avengers team-up certainly was the cherry on the cake: two underwhelming pages that amount to nothing really, which is a shame because that's what I had been most eagerly anticipating. Anyway, one issue to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Grayson View Post
    Howard's writing isn't for me and I drifted away from her work in this era a long time ago, but that page of Betsy with the Avengers is awesome.
    Vasco Georgiev's art gets better and better with each issue and those Avengers pages especially are incredible.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

One more month till our bae is in limbo.

I think Vasco is getting in his groove.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Ngl Rachel in that suit was doing things to me. I do think the “THIS IS MY GIRLFRIEND!”, stuff was a bit excessive after the charity event did it once, but I imagine Howard is trying to cement this relationship as much as possible so Marvel doesn’t break them up the minute she’s off the books.

My ONLY other gripe was that this issue did not feel like a penultimate issue and I have a feeling issue #5 is going to be rushing to a conclusion.
    Or she knows that they will be broken up and is trying to get as much as she can in while she has the time, though it does seem like she's pushing it a bit...

Can you relax. Its not gonna last forever. Just like Fantomex didnt.

Someday she'll hang out with your precious Warren again.

This non-reader is lost here...

How are the Capatain Carter team-up or the charity event in this issue relevant to the advancement of the plot or the story in general? Why did Betsy intend to go to Tony in order to get more intel on Morgan's whereabouts, when she explains to him that she wants him and the Avengers to be seen fighting the Fury by her side for PR reasons?

Is a tight story, with a clear focus, too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post

How are the Capatain Carter team-up or the charity event in this issue relevant to the advancement of the plot or the story in general? Why did Betsy intend to go to Tony in order to get more intel on Morgan's whereabouts, when she explains to him that she wants him and the Avengers to be seen fighting the Fury by her side for PR reasons?

This is clearly one of those “interact with characters across the Marvel universe” books (like Jean’s solo from a couple years back), which I think works fine if you have enough time to tell your story. In this case 5 issues isn’t the best match for a book that focuses so heavily on guest stars.

Reading the book would probably help! It's kind of ridiculous to claim a story is unfocused without actually... reading it and finding out.

The charity event in this issue is largely related to the overall story of the mini about Betsy's public image as Captain Britain. This book is making a statement about the way tabloid and right-leaning media in the UK (particularly things like the Daily Mail) create anti-minority and sexist controversy -- the charity event and Betsy's interaction with the public here is intended to draw contrast between Betsy's actual reception with everyday people and the sensationalized media image of her. In addition, it shows Betsy actively being present in the UK and working on her own public image as Captain Britain which was a point of failure for her in the past and something she's been criticized on her inside and outside of the books. She's learning and growing in the role. This story about her image is intimately tied to Morgan's own plots to replace her. (Plus, it's showing that the Braddocks have actual real lives! Always a great thing to do with solo characters.)

The Captain Carter team-up, aside from being just a fun idea to contrast these two similar characters, again played into the idea of who gets to represent Britain while also expanding the idea of Betsy and Rachel as multiversal protectors the way the Captain Britain Corps has always been, and it let Betsy and Morgan make moves against each other.

Betsy did not go to Tony to get intel on Morgan's whereabouts, and that isn't her stated intent at the end of issue 3 if you actually read it. In that issue, she tells Rachel she needs help, and tells Tony she could use the Avengers and could also use someone with knowledge on Morgan. They discuss Morgan at the start of the issue and then she makes her ask of the Avengers to help with the Fury.

CB #4 was all the fun I needed this week, it finally felt like an ongoing adventure where each character has its own bit of time under the spotlight and personal developments, the unfolding Askani lore definitely needs his own book once this is over, this along with the x-factor issues from Leah williams represent a small renaissance for the character of Rachel Summers, something she was desperately in need of, this is Rachel finally stepping out of her mother’s shadow and becoming her own legend, it’s my sincere wish this does not fly under anybody’s radar, Don’t back paddle Marvel, This is the way!

Another bright element of this issue was showing us how the Braddocks seems to be an integral part of Britain’s Glamorous Socialite landscape, the reporters interaction with Meggan and their speculation about her being pregnant again was quite fun, the fact that normal 616 citizens are gossiping among themselves about Brian and Meggan intimate life to the point that it has become a matter of “public interest” was quite amusing.

Last but not least that central panel featuring Captain Britain and the Avengers was a bit of a dream comes true for me, look at our Betsy Marvel, she deserves a spot among earth’s mightiest heroes, she could contribute a lot their internal dynamics, I like to think that Tini here was pitching and advocating for Betsy to make the great jump one day.

Jamie, Morgana and Doom did not disappoint and I loved their characterizations, Jamie feeling sorry for an immortal witch-queen villainess to the point that he offered reparations it’s such a Jamie-thing to do that of course some will brand it as senseless and yet it works.

Next issue will have to wrap up a lot and I have no doubt it’s going to be jam packed with all sort of fun, so brace yourselves for the upcoming bounty guys.

Ps. This issue was a good example of how things should have been from the very beginning for Betsy and her newfound role, sadly we will get but a taste of what it might have been but I’m still grateful to marvel for at least having taken the chance.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Umm... Is there an in-story reason why the Avengers don't know who Rachel is anymore?
    Yes it's called bad writing. Because Rachel squared off against all of them in AvX, Thor is her half-cosmic brother, and she helped Wanda during the Trial of Magneto they all know herin fact, they all know her since Secret Wars II. But bad writing is the answer

found it cute how basically this issue cannonized the David Nakayama Magazine covers.

this was a good issue, still trying to figure out if its my favorite though so far
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Reading the book would probably help! It's kind of ridiculous to claim a story is unfocused without actually... reading it and finding out.

The charity event in this issue is largely related to the overall story of the mini about Betsy's public image as Captain Britain. This book is making a statement about the way tabloid and right-leaning media in the UK (particularly things like the Daily Mail) create anti-minority and sexist controversy -- the charity event and Betsy's interaction with the public here is intended to draw contrast between Betsy's actual reception with everyday people and the sensationalized media image of her. In addition, it shows Betsy actively being present in the UK and working on her own public image as Captain Britain which was a point of failure for her in the past and something she's been criticized on her inside and outside of the books. She's learning and growing in the role. This story about her image is intimately tied to Morgan's own plots to replace her. (Plus, it's showing that the Braddocks have actual real lives! Always a great thing to do with solo characters.)

The Captain Carter team-up, aside from being just a fun idea to contrast these two similar characters, again played into the idea of who gets to represent Britain while also expanding the idea of Betsy and Rachel as multiversal protectors the way the Captain Britain Corps has always been, and it let Betsy and Morgan make moves against each other.

Betsy did not go to Tony to get intel on Morgan's whereabouts, and that isn't her stated intent at the end of issue 3 if you actually read it. In that issue, she tells Rachel she needs help, and tells Tony she could use the Avengers and could also use someone with knowledge on Morgan. They discuss Morgan at the start of the issue and then she makes her ask of the Avengers to help with the Fury.
    Perfectly stated. One of the main underlying premises of this series is the tug-of-war for the hearts and minds of the people. Betsy being out in public while she has actual fans excited to meet her and talk to her was perfect PR by the Braddocks' people. It's nice to see the family out and about and how well-known they are. I love general superheroics but I also live for these moments. Betsy also knew working with the Avengers was advantageous for both sides and I liked how it was brought up in the magazine article.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    CB #4 was all the fun I needed this week, it finally felt like an ongoing adventure where each character has its own bit of time under the spotlight and personal developments, the unfolding Askani lore definitely needs his own book once this is over, this along with the x-factor issues from Leah williams represent a small renaissance for the character of Rachel Summers, something she was desperately in need of, this is Rachel finally stepping out of her mother’s shadow and becoming her own legend, it’s my sincere wish this does not fly under anybody’s radar, Don’t back paddle Marvel, This is the way!

Another bright element of this issue was showing us how the Braddocks seems to be an integral part of Britain’s Glamorous Socialite landscape, the reporters interaction with Meggan and their speculation about her being pregnant again was quite fun, the fact that normal 616 citizens are gossiping among themselves about Brian and Meggan intimate life to the point that it has become a matter of “public interest” was quite amusing.

Last but not least that central panel featuring Captain Britain and the Avengers was a bit of a dream comes true for me, look at our Betsy Marvel, she deserves a spot among earth’s mightiest heroes, she could contribute a lot their internal dynamics, I like to think that Tini here was pitching and advocating for Betsy to make the great jump one day.

Jamie, Morgana and Doom did not disappoint and I loved their characterizations, Jamie feeling sorry for an immortal witch-queen villainess to the point that he offered reparations it’s such a Jamie-thing to do that of course some will brand it as senseless and yet it works.

Next issue will have to wrap up a lot and I have no doubt it’s going to be jam packed with all sort of fun, so brace yourselves for the upcoming bounty guys.

Ps. This issue was a good example of how things should have been from the very beginning for Betsy and her newfound role, sadly we will get but a taste of what it might have been but I’m still grateful to marvel for at least having taken the chance.
    Bravo with this post. There are so many little touches that I keep discovering about this issue (the poster of Betsy on the wall as they're entering the event).

"Another bright element of this issue was showing us how the Braddocks seems to be an integral part of Britain’s Glamorous Socialite landscape, the reporters interaction with Meggan and their speculation about her being pregnant again was quite fun, the fact that normal 616 citizens are gossiping among themselves about Brian and Meggan intimate life to the point that it has become a matter of “public interest” was quite amusing."

Great point! The public views them as a larger than life family and so it's really cool to see the paparazzi/press and fans come out to see them. I beamed when that gentleman presented Betsy when an old magazine spread and she signed in. Those are the touches I live for!

And I'm 100% with you about the Avengers. In that group shot when Wilson says, "Don't let up, Avengers!" it just felt right that Betsy was right there with them and I envisioned her on the team. Betsy saying the expansion of Otherworld has expanded the threats also leaves the door open for future collaborations. This issue really gives me the impression that comic book limbo isn't exactly where Betsy is going. We'll see how #5 ends but this issue offered potential promise for future stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    found it cute how basically this issue cannonized the David Nakayama Magazine covers.

this was a good issue, still trying to figure out if its my favorite though so far
    The content of the press pieces throughout the run have been really fun, like the Reflector tabloid in #1 using Asrar's cover image of Excalibur #10. Smart little details.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post

Then the story could have either begun or ended with that situation instead? I get that public perception is one of the plot points that needed to be addressed, but throwing festivities midpoint while a threat that's targeting super-humans is on the loose seems odd.

Maybe it would have worked better in the progression of the story if the X-Men or the Avengers had been present.

Right, how is any of the above relevant to the five issue-plot is my question. If the idea was to force Morgan into changing her plans and enlisting the Fury, then the second issue, outside the context of the story that is, is meaningless.

Intel is exactly why she arranges the meeting with Stark, according to JBenito's scans here, unless information gathering alludes to something entirely different. Which might be the case, since English isn't my mother tongue.

Then the story could have either begun or ended with that situation instead? I get that public perception is one of the plot points that needed to be addressed, but throwing festivities midpoint while a threat that's targeting super-humans is on the loose seems odd.

Maybe it would have worked better in the progression of the story if the X-Men or the Avengers had been present.

Right, how is any of the above relevant to the five issue-plot is my question. If the idea was to force Morgan into changing her plans and enlisting the Fury, then the second issue, outside the context of the story that is, is meaningless.

Intel is exactly why she arranges the meeting with Stark, according to JBenito's scans here, unless information gathering alludes to something entirely different. Which might be the case, since English isn't my mother tongue.
    An event like that charity ball takes months of planning so it wasn't put together last minute. The Fury attack had just happened and it thinking Brian was dead bought them some time. But that's why Betsy and Rachel are only there for a short time then dash off to meet with the Avengers to address the Fury.

Regarding the Carter team-up, it was Morgan who targeted Lizzie Braddock to make her Captain Britain of 616. Rachel was able to deduce her targeting in time and they were able to thwart Morgan, who then pivoted to the Fury (because they were threatening war).