Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Yeah her little moments of jealousy that pop up are not as cute as TH thinks

Definitely red flag status

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    ^that’s why I think the overall mushiness of the relationship kinda tracks. This is something brand new and they’re excited. I even thought the announcement at the charity event worked as it was showcase of Betsy being proud of all her identity’s. It was the issue repeating it two more times after that, that made the initial declaration lose its impact for me. It also doesn’t help that Rachel is firmly a supporting character in Betsy’s story here and in KoX. It makes it difficult to create a relationship of true equals when one is the protagonist and the other is doubling as girlfriend/ sidekick.
    That's how I view it as well, Betsy is continuing to become more comfortable not only in her body again but in her role as CB and in her relationship. So that part doesn't bother me at all but I do want more from Rachel in general. I really think a mini focusing on her and the Askani journey would be super interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I'm still very proud and very loud while I'm showing off my husband, after 15 years, when people are talking about my "friend". So yeah, it doesn't shock me in the least.
    I'm the same way after 12 years. People would think my husband and I just started dating with how mushy we can be but that's just how we are. Other couple friends we have act more like friends when we go out, little visible affection but that's just how they are. So it's going to read differently to different readers depending on how they themselves are in relationships. I think it's very sweet and once upon a time not all that long ago queer relationships could only exist in subtext. Rictor and Shatterstar weren't allowed to display affection for one another until it was allowed. To think that Claremont always intended for Rachel to be queer but could never depict it under his own pen just makes me appreciate what we do have now.

With that said, happy pride month!

Oh and I don't see any red flags, it's just playful jealousy which is normal in a new relationship. Rachel has no issue with Betsy being out in the public eye, being loved by fans, and living under the same roof with her ex-boyfriend, Tom. Rachel just finds certain people (Wisdom, Saturnyne, Tony) skeevy but she had no issue with Betsy getting dolled up in a tight dress to meet with Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    This issue felt a bit rushed but since it’s careening towards the end I’m sure Howard is trying to get as much as she can before the final issue. Hopefully she ends this all a bit more smoothly. While it was probably my least favorite of the issues so far i still enjoyed quite a bit. Rachel irky but her and Betsy are cute and the nods to her model and spy days are always gonna be appreciated from me.

Jamie’s reason for helping Morgan was weak and would’ve loved a bit more of insight into when/where they had any conversations but again I know there probably wasn’t that kind of time. I will say I continue to LOVE the feud of Betsy/Morgan. Morgan is super petty and I hope that they get more them interacting in the future.
    One of the things I like most about Jamie is how he's not a hero at heart and is erratic in his behavior. Ever since coming out of his coma on Muir Island he kinda tries to do the right thing but because of his powers his perception of reality isn't like everyone else's. So I can see how in his mind he wanted to make amends for his part in Morgan's torture (and also trying to get in front of her turning her vengeful eyes on him) but not thinking through the consequences. That's why Betsy literally dragged him by the ear lol because she knows he's unpredictable and isn't quite fully sane. Reality warpers in general fascinate me. What goes on in the mind of someone who can bend reality with a thought? How do they stabilize themselves in what is real? I have such a soft spot for Jamie Braddock.

I really loved the nods to Betsy's modeling days too. These little things are such treats.

Last edited by JB; 06-01-2023 at 01:22 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

At least Rachel knows how to make friends

"This is me being reasonable"

My brain always seems to be wired to find the fun in comics. I read that whole scene as Betsy generally introducing Rachel to the team as they were floating down from the air. Does Rachel know everyone on this squad? Does Betsy know if Rachel knows each of them? No and I don't think Betsy cares because that's very her lol. So then Rachel quietly goes over and shakes Wanda's hand because she does know her. Just how my brain works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    I think there is something different in correcting someone that calls your husband a “friend” then literally telling everyone that will listen you’re a couple. I know some people enjoy them as a couple but I just never bought it. Some of the couples I mentioned earlier seem sooo much more organic and believable. Rictor and Shatterstar are definitely one of those couples. They were best friends in X-force and clearly cared for each other, but maybe they didn’t realize (that didn’t really happen in comics back then) but by the time they met again in X-factor it was made official and it wasn’t a shock as we watch their friendship.

Rachel’s color is definitely red because she’s giving me ALL red flags: clingy, needy, jealous etc.. get out now Betsy. lol

I’d be happy with Betsy being single for awhile or maybe sowing her oats again.
    Oh, I mostly do it to annoy bigots to be honest.

(yeah, jealousy is not cute though. Especially since Krakoa used to sway towards polyamory)

Sorry (not sorry) if this comes off a little aggressive but with it being pride month I have to speak out on what some of you seem to be perceiving as unhealthy jealousy from Rachel. Are you that blind that you can’t see what Tini is doing? She’s painting a very realistic picture of how very often some hetero men show disrespect to a sapphic couple by flirting with them. They often view a queer women relationship as unserious and think it’s cute to flirt in front of their partners. There are some hetero women that openly and uncomfortably flirt with me or my partner (or both) in really inappropriate ways because they think it’s fine because we’re gay but it bothers both of us. Tom has been a perfect gentlemen since being resurrected and Rachel thus far has had no issue with him despite him living in the same house. But she has a problem with Saturnyne, someone who tried to bed Brian knowing fully well he’s married. Wisdom is sometimes a creep and so Rachel said “ew” to his remark to Betsy in issue #1. Tony has notoriously been a billionaire playboy for years so she mocked his little comment. Yet she has no problem with fans approaching Betsy, asking for her autograph, and showing her love. In fact she told Betsy it’s what she deserves and is happy for her.

It’s very real what’s being depicted and I appreciate it.

Spectacular Member mattsarchamp's Avatar

The reason why this comic is ending by the next issue is because of poor execution. No matter what you say, many fans are turned off by this kind of storytelling. The art is fine and there’s room for improvement. It’s just time for another writer to handle Betsy. If she goes to comic limbo for awhile, so be it. TH had her chances for 4 years already.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Sorry (not sorry) if this comes off a little aggressive but with it being pride month I have to speak out on what some of you seem to be perceiving as unhealthy jealousy from Rachel. Are you that blind that you can’t see what Tini is doing? She’s painting a very realistic picture of how very often some hetero men show disrespect to a sapphic couple by flirting with them. They often view a queer women relationship as unserious and think it’s cute to flirt in front of their partners. There are some hetero women that openly and uncomfortably flirt with me or my partner (or both) in really inappropriate ways because they think it’s fine because we’re gay but it bothers both of us. Tom has been a perfect gentlemen since being resurrected and Rachel thus far has had no issue with him despite him living in the same house. But she has a problem with Saturnyne, someone who tried to bed Brian knowing fully well he’s married. Wisdom is sometimes a creep and so Rachel said “ew” to his remark to Betsy in issue #1. Tony has notoriously been a billionaire playboy for years so she mocked his little comment. Yet she has no problem with fans approaching Betsy, asking for her autograph, and showing her love. In fact she told Betsy it’s what she deserves and is happy for her.

It’s very real what’s being depicted and I appreciate it.
    Ah, I thought people were reacting to actual jrealous behaviour. Haven,'t reazd the issue yet, just commenting on jealousy in general.

Rachel being repulsed by Pete "I bed your very young bestt friend" Wisdom is in character.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Ah, I thought people were reacting to actual jrealous behaviour. Haven,'t reazd the issue yet, just commenting on jealousy in general.

Rachel being repulsed by Pete "I bed your very young bestt friend" Wisdom is in character.
    Exactly, and my post wasn’t pointed at you as I know you catch up via MU. You’ll see that the people Rachel has a problem with lean to the more questionable intentions side. It’s interesting when you compare it to Tom who Betsy had probably the most healthy relationship with (minus being hunted by the Fury and Slaymaster, etc.) Betsy was psi-linked to Tom when he was shot to death and she mourned him for a while. In fact his death was in ways a catalyst for her powers getting stronger. She was trained to use the grief and channel it into telepathic offense. They were very much in love so having him live in the manor should set Rachel off but so far there’s zero issue because his intentions are good. That could of course change but that’s what it is at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsarchamp View Post
    The reason why this comic is ending by the next issue is because of poor execution. No matter what you say, many fans are turned off by this kind of storytelling. The art is fine and there’s room for improvement. It’s just time for another writer to handle Betsy. If she goes to comic limbo for awhile, so be it. TH had her chances for 4 years already.
    What does any of that have to do with us discussing this particular issue? “No matter what you say.” Who you talking to?

Am I the only one that finds Betsy reminding people she is Captain Britain in every single issue a bit tiresome? It feels really forced, clunky and unnecessary.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I thought this was a fantastic issue and probably my favourite in the entire Howard run, surpassing even the Betsy/Kwannon story in Excalibur.

Everything slotted perfectly into place, with Howard showing really good handle on the entire cast and guest-stars while keeping the story nice and tight.

Georgiev's art continues to improve issue after issue, he's got good storytelling chops as well as crisp character work. He's definitely someone to keep an eye on.

I'm really curious about how this is going to wrap up in a month's time.

That's how I view it as well, Betsy is continuing to become more comfortable not only in her body again but in her role as CB and in her relationship. So that part doesn't bother me at all but I do want more from Rachel in general. I really think a mini focusing on her and the Askani journey would be super interesting.

I'm the same way after 12 years. People would think my husband and I just started dating with how mushy we can be but that's just how we are. Other couple friends we have act more like friends when we go out, little visible affection but that's just how they are. So it's going to read differently to different readers depending on how they themselves are in relationships. I think it's very sweet and once upon a time not all that long ago queer relationships could only exist in subtext. Rictor and Shatterstar weren't allowed to display affection for one another until it was allowed. To think that Claremont always intended for Rachel to be queer but could never depict it under his own pen just makes me appreciate what we do have now.

With that said, happy pride month!

Oh and I don't see any red flags, it's just playful jealousy which is normal in a new relationship. Rachel has no issue with Betsy being out in the public eye, being loved by fans, and living under the same roof with her ex-boyfriend, Tom. Rachel just finds certain people (Wisdom, Saturnyne, Tony) skeevy but she had no issue with Betsy getting dolled up in a tight dress to meet with Tony.

One of the things I like most about Jamie is how he's not a hero at heart and is erratic in his behavior. Ever since coming out of his coma on Muir Island he kinda tries to do the right thing but because of his powers his perception of reality isn't like everyone else's. So I can see how in his mind he wanted to make amends for his part in Morgan's torture (and also trying to get in front of her turning her vengeful eyes on him) but not thinking through the consequences. That's why Betsy literally dragged him by the ear lol because she knows he's unpredictable and isn't quite fully sane. Reality warpers in general fascinate me. What goes on in the mind of someone who can bend reality with a thought? How do they stabilize themselves in what is real? I have such a soft spot for Jamie Braddock.

I really loved the nods to Betsy's modeling days too. These little things are such treats.

I can definitely get into Jamie helping Mo for those reasons and even buy the manic guilt. I just wish we could've seen it lmao. Jamie aid in removing her from the throne so I know Morgan was dragging him beforehand.

The guy asking for her autograph was amazing! I will be living off those crumbs for quite some time. "Betsy Bradddock, the celebrity" is great and I'm glad Howard is leaning into it more for this. This book is kind of having her do everything I've ever wanted to see. A solo adventurer with her own spy network, her family, and her boo. I can't believe now i gotta go on twitter and beg for her to be in a book like everybody else do with their fave. This is crazy.

I did buy some of Rachel's bits as jealousy but....that is very normal in a lot of relationships. Betsy is a hot girl who likes to flirt and that can rub some people the wrong way. Warren and Fantomex also used to get jealous so she just might have a type.

My brain always seems to be wired to find the fun in comics. I read that whole scene as Betsy generally introducing Rachel to the team as they were floating down from the air. Does Rachel know everyone on this squad? Does Betsy know if Rachel knows each of them? No and I don't think Betsy cares because that's very her lol. So then Rachel quietly goes over and shakes Wanda's hand because she does know her. Just how my brain works.
    I mean that is pretty much how I see it too. Most of the Avengers are certainly not deeply familiar with Rachel if they even know her at all but many people certainly know more about Rachel then I do so if that is wrong then feel free to post it.
    "This is me being reasonable"

I'm hoping we get to see them in action next issue. Tom was looking cute.
    I wonder if the other killed members of S.T.R.I.K.E. will be retconned as mutants and resurrected.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume