Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I thought this was a fantastic issue and probably my favourite in the entire Howard run, surpassing even the Betsy/Kwannon story in Excalibur.

Everything slotted perfectly into place, with Howard showing really good handle on the entire cast and guest-stars while keeping the story nice and tight.

Georgiev's art continues to improve issue after issue, he's got good storytelling chops as well as crisp character work. He's definitely someone to keep an eye on.

I'm really curious about how this is going to wrap up in a month's time.
    Happy to hear you loved it! I agree with all of the above especially about Vasco's art. I was looking at the pages this morning and I really appreciate how the art team creates such different moods. From Tony's warehouse to Askani's library to the red carpet event. I can't say enough about Vasco's panel layouts too. I love how they start to "shake" when there's action happening. The page of each Avenger hitting the Fury has tilted panels that really elevate the action. Kudos to him for the designing of everyone's outfits too.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    I can definitely get into Jamie helping Mo for those reasons and even buy the manic guilt. I just wish we could've seen it lmao. Jamie aid in removing her from the throne so I know Morgan was dragging him beforehand.

The guy asking for her autograph was amazing! I will be living off those crumbs for quite some time. "Betsy Bradddock, the celebrity" is great and I'm glad Howard is leaning into it more for this. This book is kind of having her do everything I've ever wanted to see. A solo adventurer with her own spy network, her family, and her boo. I can't believe now i gotta go on twitter and beg for her to be in a book like everybody else do with their fave. This is crazy.

I did buy some of Rachel's bits as jealousy but....that is very normal in a lot of relationships. Betsy is a hot girl who likes to flirt and that can rub some people the wrong way. Warren and Fantomex also used to get jealous so she just might have a type.
    Yes to all of this. You bring up a good point when you say you're seeing everything you've ever wanted and I feel the same way. That has so much to do with a reader's level of enjoyment, right? I've been hoping for references to Betsy being famous, her modeling, her spy work. Things that were a part of her character that haven't been tapped into in a while. So seeing them play out here made me so happy. Then we get the bonus of the Avengers coming to assist her and executing her plan. Pinch me!

You're definitely right about Jamie and Morgan. That conversation would have been hilarious to see especially because Howard has such a good handle on the two of them. Bummer we didn't get a glimpse of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I mean that is pretty much how I see it too. Most of the Avengers are certainly not deeply familiar with Rachel if they even know her at all but many people certainly know more about Rachel then I do so if that is wrong then feel free to post it.
    Agreed. I think it would have been different if Rachel or Wanda said "It's so nice to meet you!" when we know they've met. But I always shake someone's hand I don't know too well for the first few meetings. Then it eventually turns into a friendly hug.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I wonder if the other killed members of S.T.R.I.K.E. will be retconned as mutants and resurrected.
    I think about Avril sometimes because she's the only other member we actually saw, right? Their deaths were brutal so it's nice to see some of them again.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Spectacular Member mattsarchamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    What does any of that have to do with us discussing this particular issue? “No matter what you say.” Who you talking to?
    Look, I'm not up against anyone here. I'm just stating the facts that this title is weak enough that it deserves cancellation. The way the writer tells the story makes so many fans of Betsy, not just fans but long time fans, keep off this comic. Sorry for the harsh terms I used but that's the truth. I'm still hoping for the best for Betsy in the future titles she's in with the better writer.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsarchamp View Post
    Look, I'm not up against anyone here. I'm just stating the facts that this title is weak enough that it deserves cancellation. The way the writer tells the story makes so many fans of Betsy, not just fans but long time fans, keep off this comic. Sorry for the harsh terms I used but that's the truth. I'm still hoping for the best for Betsy in the future titles she's in with the better writer.
    Your opinion of course is fair and just as important as anyone else's. It's just sometimes I feel readers that dislike the book and writer don't want readers that do like them to express it. Rain on parade energy. Yes there are many fans that are not into it and there are many fans that are. I've seen really nice comments about this issue and I've seen comments panning it. Those of us that like it are aware of the circumstances and I think are just looking to enjoy the rest of the ride. I agree with you in that I want the best for Betsy in the future as well.

The shout out to custom figure creators was sweet and it's cute that in-universe there are Betsy fans making them to show support.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I think about Avril sometimes because she's the only other member we actually saw, right? Their deaths were brutal so it's nice to see some of them again.
    Yes I think Avril was the only one actually seen on panel. The rest must've been just mentioned. I wonder if she was not included because the writer only needed four characters to represent The Magnum opus (alchemy)
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

No one’s really being blind when Betsy herself called her out already for being jealous.

And TH has a habit of using the same schtick over and over.

So although some of you want to be positive and peppy that’s fine but others are able to critique it if they want .

It doesn’t matter if it’s the same critiques over and over.

Because some of you are saying the same positives over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Yes I think Avril was the only one actually seen on panel. The rest must've been just mentioned. I wonder if she was not included because the writer only needed four characters to represent The Magnum opus (alchemy)
    Ok this is really interesting. Thank you for the link. I wasn't sure why they were given their codenames but now I'm understanding they represent the "four stages of alchemical process" as noted in a WWAC article about their Excalibur data page.
    The article links to Cerebrocast's Twitter which states, "A very cool data page assigns the four agents heretofore-unknown codenames that hint they may be a new mutant magic circuit. Each is identified with one of the four stages of the magnum opus in traditional European alchemy."

- "... the first stage of alchemy is about cleansing through decay, much like Betsy was reshaped by Tom/Ghast's death."
    - "Albedo — the purification stage of alchemy — is similarly a great match for Alison's historic role in Betsy and Meggan's stories. It's about washing away spiritual impurities in favor of light and personal clarity, which is what Alison does for both of them."
    - "Citrinitas/Xanthosis is spiritual awakening, and Rubedo is the great rebirth."

I now wonder if we'll see them perform some kind of magic in the next issue in Morgan's palace. Fascinating.
    Last edited by JB; 06-01-2023 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    No one’s really being blind when Betsy herself called her out already for being jealous.

And TH has a habit of using the same schtick over and over.

So although some of you want to be positive and peppy that’s fine but others are able to critique it if they want .

It doesn’t matter if it’s the same critiques over and over.

Because some of you are saying the same positives over and over.
    I might be mistaken but you're not reading the book, right? If you're not then I wasn't referring to you lol. If you decide to catch up later you'll see that Rachel isn't exhibiting unhealthy jealousy in the sense that she's freaking out about everyone Betsy interacts with. I don't see a single red flag. She was right there when some good looking fans gave Betsy flowers and asked for her autograph and had no issue with them. She has an issue with certain personality types like Saturnyne. That's really the only person Rachel had strong feelings about, she just brushed off Wisdom and Stark which speaks to how some hetero men will disregard women in queer relationships. If Betsy was standing there with a boyfriend I doubt Wisdom would have made his comment in issue #1.
    Last edited by JB; 06-01-2023 at 08:47 AM.

Ultimate Member

It's not a queer vs hetero thing as far as Wisdom goes, he'd hit on a woman with her husband standing right beside her. As for Rachel she seems to have gotten jealous in every issue. And whether someone reads the book or not does not diminish their views of the subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    It's not a queer vs hetero thing as far as Wisdom goes, he'd hit on a woman with her husband standing right beside her. As for Rachel she seems to have gotten jealous in every issue. And whether someone reads the book or not does not diminish their views of the subject matter.
    I mean… it kinda does for the issue at hand. Don’t get me wrong TH has been writing this character for almost 4 years so people are completely right to have formed their opinions about her characterization of Betsy and power to them if they decided it wasn’t for them and dropped the book. That being said if you don’t read a book you simply don’t have full context to give holistic commentary. A scan here and there and other people’s impressions of an issue don’t equal reading it yourself. I myself have long since dropped Percy’s stuff and while I eyeroll at the plot developments that I hear about, I simply don’t have as much of an informed opinion as those who picked up the issue themselves.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 06-01-2023 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I don't see Rachel saying "ew" to Wisdom's remark as jealousy at all. The only real example I see is with Saturnyne and that likely also has to do with the power dynamic of the role the Omniversal Majestrix and Captain Britain. My point is that it's being referred to as a red flag when it's nothing of the sort. As for someone's view not being diminished because they're not reading the book, obviously that's true and I've never stated otherwise. I've had many conversations with fans about the book who I know are not reading it, I've answered their questions and shared scans they've asked for. My point is that when you read the context of the issues you'll see what I'm saying about Rachel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I mean… it kinda does for the issue at hand. Don’t get me wrong TH has been writing this character for almost 4 years so people are completely right to have formed their opinions about her characterization of Betsy and power to them if they decided it wasn’t for them and dropped the book. That being said if you don’t read a book you simply don’t have full context to give holistic commentary. A scan here and there and other people’s impressions of an issue don’t equal reading it yourself. I myself have long since dropped Percy’s stuff and while I eyeroll at the plot developments that I hear about, I simply don’t have as much of an informed opinion as those who picked up the issue themselves.
    Thank you, you said it better than I could have.

I read and keep up with Betsy.

She is my favorite character.

This is just another New Exiles era for me.
    Last edited by CGAR; 06-01-2023 at 10:18 AM.

It's something about Betsy and Rachel downing their drinks to go kick some ass that really does it for me.

Feels very Mission Impossible/Ocean's 8. They're that couple that infiltrates an Akkaba stronghold and rescues mutants and I really dig that. I hope they do one of their iconic combined teke shield moves in the final issue.

If this is champagne and they drink it that quickly, no wonder why they don't seem to be able to run straight.