Extraordinary Member

Default Great tv shows that had mediocre first seasons

A lot of great tv shows did not get off to a great start. Either the writers didn't do a good job with what direction to go with or the actors needing time to mesh.

What are some great tv shows that had mediocre (or just plain bad) first seasons?

- Friends
    - The Office (U.S.) (for everyone except Jim and Pam)
    - Start Trek: The Next Generation

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    - Friends
    - The Office (U.S.) (for everyone except Jim and Pam)
    - Start Trek: The Next Generation
    Definitely agree with Friends and ST:TNG. Plus...

Seinfeld
    Everybody Loves Raymond

Facts of Life I mean the show itself realized it needed fine tuning.

X-Men TAS I love the show but feel it didn't start truly hitting its stride until season 1. Season 1 and 2 of the 90's FF series and Iron Man series are night and day in quality.

On the Star Trek note Season 1 and 2 of Picard. VOY also IMO had a mediocre season 1.

Season 1 of Melrose Place it didn't pick up till season 2 with the addictions of Sydney and Kimberly going crazy.

I don't know if I consider it mediocre but Cagney and Lacy simply because how many people remember that Meg Foster played Cagney in that season?

I feel like a lot of shows could fit into this as most took time to figure out what they were going to be.

Star Trek DS9 while being one of the better trek shows did have a pretty weak first season.

Married with Children was pretty weak on the first season as well.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The Simpsons
    Agents of SHIELD (although a very strong finish to the season)
    Blackadder

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Seinfeld
    Simpsons

Probably the biggest two I can possibly think of. TNG I don't agree with so much, liked the first season too much. I wouldn't list X-Files because I quite liked Season 1.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-01-2023 at 10:18 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Cheers
    Babylon 5
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Cheers
    Oh, I LOVED the first season of Cheers. The five Shelley Long/Diane years were the best of the series IMO. I loved the Diane/Sam dynamic from the first episode and forward.

Star Trek: The Next Generation season 1 is mediocre but at least Tasha Yar was interesting. Too bad they killed Tasha before her character could be fleshed out and developed into a more complex and deeper one.

One interesting thing is that Marina read for Tasha and Crosby read for Troi but they wound up flipping the roles.

Think the second half of TNG season one gets a lot better, there's Datalore, 10001001, Coming of Age (Wesley episode but it does have the pretty cool "Conspiracy" lead-in subplot), Heart of Glory, Conspiracy, Skin of Evil and The Neutral zone which are pretty solid stories, although also the pretty bad Symbiosis, when the bough breaks, Home Soil and We'll always have Paris....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    One interesting thing is that Marina read for Tasha and Crosby read for Troi but they wound up flipping the roles.
    I wonder if Marina used her real accent reading for Tasha. Her real voice/attitude is a lot closer to Yar than Troi.

Person of Interest

Although that may be by design to a certain extent. It always felt like Jonathan Nolan snuck in his scifi show by disguising it as a procedural.