Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

When it comes to Venom, Eddie Brock will always be my preference

I like Brock as Venom, too, though I also dislike the basic premise used to create the character in the first place. I think Spider-Man should have stuck with his black costume, and I think it would have been an interesting dynamic for a character so obsessed with responsibility to have to consider putting another living thing in danger every time he leapt into battle. One of the missed opportunities, I thought, from that era.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

The Ultimate Marvel universe, where characters felt real, **** had lasting consequences and anything could happen. Those were the Marvel heroes I really cared about. Everything else that Marvel has been doing since then felt flat to me, just a casual distraction with nostalgic value and to laugh posting some memes.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    When it comes to the cosmic side of 616 Marvel Universe, my preference will always be the Ron Lim version
    I do miss Frankie Raye/Supernova as a character. She was right up there with powerhouse ladies like Jean Grey, Storm, Moondragon and Sersi, and I wish she had gotten to stick around.

I think of the early-mid 2000s. Grant Morrison + Joss Whedon on X-Men, Bendis on New + Mighty Avengers, Annihilation, Civil War.

LOL...I'm about to break into one of those, "Get off my lawn!" tirades.

My favorite was the early 80's. It was so easy to keep track of the Fantastic Four in the Baxter Building. They were often visited by Namor, the Inhumans, and Spider-Man. There were a ton of Avengers, and at any time you'd see Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Yellowjacket, Wasp, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther, Beast, Wonder Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Hercules, Falcon, and Ms. Marvel, hanging out at Avenger's Mansion. Street level heroes included Spider-Man, Daredevil, Moon Knight, and even a team called Heroes for Hire, with Power Man and Iron Fist.

The Defenders were doing their best to not call themselves a team, even though you would always catch Dr. Strange, the Silver Surfer, Hulk, and Namor, working together, and then they got more organized and added Nighthawk, Valkyrie, Gargoyle, and on occasion, Ghost Rider, Hellcat, Hellstorm, and Red Guardian. Up North, a team called Alpha Flight consisted of Vindicator, Puck, Shaman, Snowbird, Sasquatch, Marina, and the twins, Aurora and Northstar.

Finally, mutants were still very rare during this time and they all either belonged to the X-Men (heroic mutants I mean), or had ties to them. And the best part is you could name all of them without doing research! Cyclops, Phoenix, Angel, Beast, Iceman, Havok, Polaris, Banshee, Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Sunfire, Thunderbird, and Kitty Pryde!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    LOL...I'm about to break into one of those, "Get off my lawn!" tirades.

My favorite was the early 80's. It was so easy to keep track of the Fantastic Four in the Baxter Building. They were often visited by Namor, the Inhumans, and Spider-Man. There were a ton of Avengers, and at any time you'd see Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Yellowjacket, Wasp, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther, Beast, Wonder Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Hercules, Falcon, and Ms. Marvel, hanging out at Avenger's Mansion. Street level heroes included Spider-Man, Daredevil, Moon Knight, and even a team called Heroes for Hire, with Power Man and Iron Fist.
    In agreement with your list of street-level vigilantes/crime-fighters, but don't forget about The Punisher

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    The Defenders were doing their best to not call themselves a team, even though you would always catch Dr. Strange, the Silver Surfer, Hulk, and Namor, working together, and then they got more organized and added Nighthawk, Valkyrie, Gargoyle, and on occasion, Ghost Rider, Hellcat, Hellstorm, and Red Guardian. Up North, a team called Alpha Flight consisted of Vindicator, Puck, Shaman, Snowbird, Sasquatch, Marina, and the twins, Aurora and Northstar.

Finally, mutants were still very rare during this time and they all either belonged to the X-Men (heroic mutants I mean), or had ties to them. And the best part is you could name all of them without doing research! Cyclops, Phoenix, Angel, Beast, Iceman, Havok, Polaris, Banshee, Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Sunfire, Thunderbird, and Kitty Pryde!
    LOL! Don't forget about Nightcrawler (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-07-2023 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    In agreement with your list of street-level heroes/vigilantes, but don't forget about The Punisher

LOL! Don't forget about Nightcrawler (XD)

OMG...see what I mean about my age? I swear to you that both of those characters were in my head when I started my rant. But thank you for the save!

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    When I think iconic Marvel I guess I think about the late 60s through about 1989. Doesn't mean enjoyable stuff did not come out fore and aft of that, but that is where my mind tends to go when thinking about Marvel at it's absolute peak for me.
    That's where I started and mostly stopped reading, so I feel the same. The comics from that era sort of mesh with the 90s cartoons, for me-- that's why I love the Hulk and Spider-Man queues at Universal so much. The aesthetics of that theme park evoke Silver and Bronze age blended with not-quite-peak 90s.

I want to read more outside of that era, but that's the stuff that will always be "the story" in my heart (even though I was a 90s kid and an aughts teen). I wish modern books framed things more like, "this guy is going to tell a Wolverine story" or "here's a story about this team you've never seen be a team before" instead of trying to maintain the illusion of continuity. I miss the feeling of progression and madcap invention.

(and the find the Hate-Monger challenge)
    Last edited by Thirteen; 06-07-2023 at 07:07 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Fantastic Four - 1960’s era
    Avengers - 1970’s era
    Spider-Man - 1980’s era
    X-Men - 1990’s era
    Cosmic characters - 2000’s era
    Hulk - 2010’s era
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

The majority probably won't agree, but the Warren Ellis version of Moon Knight would be my choice for iconic

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Damn you this is going to drive me nuts
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Found 'im!

but I don't want to give it away for anybody else. Let's just say he's near the big guy wearing purple and the girl that you can't usually see.

Astonishing Member

It's crazy. I can recognize almost every character in that poster but I doubt I'd recognize half of the characters if they did this posted today.

BTW, who is the Native American on the upper left, below Abomination and above Attuma?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Found 'im!

but I don't want to give it away for anybody else. Let's just say he's near the big guy wearing purple and the girl that you can't usually see.
    I found him too. Admittedly, I couldn't before looking for your clues.