View Poll Results: Rate Dead Language (What Did Peter Do?)

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was a great story

0 0%
  • It was a good story

4 7.27%
  • It was an average story

3 5.45%
  • It was a mediocre story

4 7.27%
  • It was a terrible story

44 80.00%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Rate Dead Language (What Did Peter Do?)

After 26 issues, the mystery box is finally opened and the circumstances as to why Peter and MJ broke up this time are revealed. And I want to know what you thought of the story.

A poorly conceived story that is only exceeded in how poorly executed it was. The plot, the actual writing, the pencilling and coloring. And of course the meta-agendas (split up MJ and Peter and kill Kamala so she can be resurrected as a mutant)... it was all just so poorly done.

Massively disrespectful to basically ever character. Basically everyone is ooc. The villain change his plans on a dime and is really boring, with absolutely no depth. JrJr can do action well but fails hard at dramatic storytelling. His faces look either bored or high when he’s going for sad. I feel sorry for the next writer that’ll have to clean up this mess.

Astonishing Member

There's too much wrong with it to be described in one post, and I frankly don't want to give Wells and Lowe that attention. Because it's essentially just a ragebait run. Clickbait is all they have. I mean, is there any doubt about it anymore? When was the last time someone even asked "Who is this run for?"

It's astonishing that Wells thought it would "put everyone else on the same page" for Year 2. Wells is entering his Year 2 as officially the most hated Spider-Man writer of all time, and as one of the most hated Marvel writers right now period thanks to his Ms. Marvel stunt.

It's clear when Wells talked about how it would explain what happened, he was only talking about explaining how we got to the status quo. That's it. Also, it's not even a good explanation. But he thought an explanation arc where everyone is OOC would make up for it.

The only silver lining is that it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Now that I know this entire run from beginning to end is just clickbait from panel to panel, it's easier to ignore it. Also, thanks to his Ms. Marvel stunt, Spider-Man fans who have been calling the run sexist have been vindicated. With the mainstream backlash this is getting, it feels like Wells and Lowe are in genuinely hot water. Like anything even resembling having control of the narrative is gone. So if the clickbait nature of the run wasn't enough to ensure it will have no long-term consequences, at least that will. That's the one reassuring thing about all this mess.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-31-2023 at 09:40 AM.

Astonishing Member

The worst Spider-Man writer in Zeb Wells. The worst editor in Nick Lowe. The worst run on The Amazing Spider-Man and the worst comic book run I've ever read. I'm a Paul and Wells' is doing that name a disservice as well. Needless to say, voted terrible.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 05-31-2023 at 10:16 AM.

Fantastic Member

Only spider-man story off hand I can think of is worse is the “Silk and Spider-Man almost have non-consensual sex because of spider instincts,” but that’s more from a moral standpoint than a craft one.
    It’s sloppy, multiple plot points make no sense at all, characters have no actual development at all, and it took out the second most important new character Marvel has created in the last decade for no reason other than MCU synergy. Pure amateur hour from everyone involved

Gotta admit, combining Avengers #200 with Sins Past was certainly a choice…

ASM is essentially bad fanfic for the editorial office. I've felt that for years now...but this confirms it. Nonsensical character destruction at every turn.

Fantastic Member

Favorite moment was Spider-Man doing the badass grandstanding of “If you want her you’ll have to go through me,” only for the villain to effortlessly escape literally two panels later. It’s like the entire run got summarized in a third of a page

BANNED

No, sir, I don't like it.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

It was trash. Complete and utter trash. It was worse than Dark Web and I hated Dark Web. The fact that this was how Marvel decided to celebrate Spider-Man's 60th Anniversary is both offensive and appalling. Can someone tell me why Spider-Man can't pull off a win in his own goddamn book? Why is MJ defending a world-destroying murderer? Why was this story ever approved?
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 05-31-2023 at 10:25 AM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    Massively disrespectful to basically ever character. Basically everyone is ooc. The villain change his plans on a dime and is really boring, with absolutely no depth. JrJr can do action well but fails hard at dramatic storytelling. His faces look either bored or high when he’s going for sad. I feel sorry for the next writer that’ll have to clean up this mess.
    Banish it to the Phantom Zone/pretend it never existed.

Astonishing Member

Bizzaro Spider-Man, Bizarro Mary Jane, Bizzaro Ben Reilly, Bizzaro Norman Osborn etc.

All this bitching won't make a damn difference as long as the saps keep buying the atrocious book and making it number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    All this bitching won't make a damn difference as long as the saps keep buying the atrocious book and making it number 1.

Spectators are carrying this run hard. That's why they've gone overboard with variant covers.