Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    So, suicidal depression or "giving into despair" denotes imperfection? Would anyone say either thing of someone that fails to beat cancer? Did they "give in?" I'm thinking probably not.

Fighting cancer, even if one loses that fight, is often described as a heroic thing. But fighting and losing the fight against depression is often regarded to be a failing or character flaw.

That's some rough chuckles. I'm paraphrasing Onstad's Achewood with that last phrase. IOW I don't mean you or anyone is laughing about it; I mean it's messed up. Very.

It's also the sort of thing that only a person that's never experienced depression or despair could ever think or say.
    Clearly I've touched a nerve, but you're misreading my post. The OP asked about stories where JL heroes are "developing problems like addiction, self-harm, and other stuff like that." Fighting and/or overcoming depression and suicide is clearly noble, and is so by virtue of its difficulty. I made no judgments of character at all against anyone suffering from such serious things, whether they ultimately fail or succeed.

You also don't know me at all, and I would encourage you to show some humility when voicing a grievance to a stranger online.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    Well...yeah. Suicidal depression and despair are indicators one's life is not perfect. I do not think the original poster was suggesting that was a good thing, only asking if the JLA was ever written where the heroes were not portrayed as being above the everyday struggles a majority of people go through. Mr. Miracle dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts certainly would fall into that. I would hope we could all agree being in that state of mind is something no one would wish for...that it is not a perfect state of being.
    Right, it's certainly a "problem" someone struggles with at the least, if not a "character flaw".

Young Justice (show) shows them as flawed despite having a JLU-level roster.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The Young Justice Justice League is mostly Batman doing **** behind the others back and the team getting out-smarted by the villains so the plot can go forward.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    Well...yeah. Suicidal depression and despair are indicators one's life is not perfect. I do not think the original poster was suggesting that was a good thing, only asking if the JLA was ever written where the heroes were not portrayed as being above the everyday struggles a majority of people go through. Mr. Miracle dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts certainly would fall into that. I would hope we could all agree being in that state of mind is something no one would wish for...that it is not a perfect state of being.
    Exactly thank you. I remember a story where Green Arrow learned Speedy was an addict and eventually Speedy overcame his addiction at least I think he did not sure what came of it it's been a while. I really think stories of over coming dark stuff like that can be inspiring at least if done right.
    Last edited by Castiel; 06-02-2023 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    Exactly thank you. I remember a story where Green Arrow learned Speedy was an addict and eventually Speedy overcame his addiction at least I think he did not sure what came of it it's been a while. I really think stories of over coming dark stuff like that can be inspiring at least if done right.
    The Speedy story got super-weird when it turned out one of the people most effective at helping him with the addiction was... Cheshire.