Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    The Felicia pitch is mildly interesting but what would you do with the kid after that?
    I am torn between a miscarriage or get her hooked with her girlfriend from MC2.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    Whose the girlfriend from MC2? Also have Dylan Brock be Mayday's core love interest.

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Whose the girlfriend from MC2? Also have Dylan Brock be Mayday's core love interest.
    Her name is Diane. She is a coworker of Felicia in MC2. Felicity don't aprove her relashionship with her mother.

Mayday and DYlan could work and Annie with Normie too.

BANNED

Now give Doc Oct a daughter for Benjy to romance when he is old enough

A soft reboot, a-la HoX\PoX? Sure! A full-on restart? Hell no, not for all the diamonds in the world

The *one* thing the comics universe has that no adaptation--film, cartoon, game--will never have, never surpass or overshadow is 80+ years of fascinating, tangled continuity. The Lee\Ditko\Kirby blood still pumps in the veins of today's comics. It can be a crutch and pull creatives into telling cover-song stories (Heyyyyy Spencer!).

But just as often, it can give us an Immortal Hulk or House of X, works of stupefying magnitude that blossom from the firmament of continuity. A single splendorous story that both honors the past and enriches it through it's greatness.

And some fans think it's best to catapult that foundation because Peter doesn't have grey hair yet.

Let's get into the grist of it. Pleasing the fans is the short path to disaster. No direction will please everyone. You don't want to please Spider-Man fans, if you're editorial

You want to make MORE Spider-Man fans!

It's true for a business sense: more customers=more profit. But it's also true from a story sense. Think back to when you fell in love with Spider-Man: some story must've hooked you, moved you, thrilled you! Cartoon, comic, Raimi film or Webb--you name it. And then you read on and on and on, unlocking the sprawling web that is Spidey comics, from the 60-s to current day. Now you're a fan. You care profoundly.

But in that care for *character* and *continuity*, some lose sight of story. You want a grown-up, fulfilled, married, capable, fearless, adult, victorious, paternal, grizzled Peter. Okay. Cool. What's the story?

The truth is, without story, none of it matters. And for a cool story, anything goes. Bend characterization. Contradict continuity if it's in your way, retcon it away. Kill or resurrect whoever you need. If the story's cool, you're in the clear.

Don't like it? Don't read it. It's probably not written with you in mind. Wait for the next writer's turn. Simple as

Cause you don't make new fans by telling soft stories. You get them by showing them why Spidey's cool. And imho, Spidey's cool because he struggles like no other, but never gives up.

What did Zdarsky say? "Can't, but must." Exactly

It's daring to look at Spidey continuity and say "I can spin gold outta this." Way more daring than starting over. And I'll prefer the daring story route any day of the week

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    A soft reboot, a-la HoX\PoX? Sure! A full-on restart? Hell no, not for all the diamonds in the world

The *one* thing the comics universe has that no adaptation--film, cartoon, game--will never have, never surpass or overshadow is 80+ years of fascinating, tangled continuity. The Lee\Ditko\Kirby blood still pumps in the veins of today's comics. It can be a crutch and pull creatives into telling cover-song stories (Heyyyyy Spencer!).

But just as often, it can give us an Immortal Hulk or House of X, works of stupefying magnitude that blossom from the firmament of continuity. A single splendorous story that both honors the past and enriches it through it's greatness.

And some fans think it's best to catapult that foundation because Peter doesn't have grey hair yet.

Let's get into the grist of it. Pleasing the fans is the short path to disaster. No direction will please everyone. You don't want to please Spider-Man fans, if you're editorial

It's true for a business sense: more customers=more profit. But it's also true from a story sense. Think back to when you fell in love with Spider-Man: some story must've hooked you, moved you, thrilled you! Cartoon, comic, Raimi film or Webb--you name it. And then you read on and on and on, unlocking the sprawling web that is Spidey comics, from the 60-s to current day. Now you're a fan. You care profoundly.

But in that care for *character* and *continuity*, some lose sight of story. You want a grown-up, fulfilled, married, capable, fearless, adult, victorious, paternal, grizzled Peter. Okay. Cool. What's the story?

The truth is, without story, none of it matters. And for a cool story, anything goes. Bend characterization. Contradict continuity if it's in your way, retcon it away. Kill or resurrect whoever you need. If the story's cool, you're in the clear.

Don't like it? Don't read it. It's probably not written with you in mind. Wait for the next writer's turn. Simple as

Cause you don't make new fans by telling soft stories. You get them by showing them why Spidey's cool. And imho, Spidey's cool because he struggles like no other, but never gives up.

What did Zdarsky say? "Can't, but must." Exactly

It's daring to look at Spidey continuity and say "I can spin gold outta this." Way more daring than starting over. And I'll prefer the daring story route any day of the week

Soft-Reboot with the goal of getting the marriage back and just general house cleaning of the stupid stuff from the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    But that's distinctly not happening. Or at least the net amount of Spider-Man comic book readers is not increasing.

Most of what the industry does at this point is holding on to who is left as best they can. Once the industry abandoned returnability altogether, it limited just how much expansion possibility there is.

Incredible Member

Why reboot a title that's a top seller?

Reboot in what way? Restoring the past? Working for Jonah and taking pics? Teaching high school?

Or is this just a marraige thing again?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post

Reboot in what way? Restoring the past? Working for Jonah and taking pics? Teaching high school?

Mariage thing again, not like the title isn't being propped up with variant covers of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post

always have been
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Or you could team up Black Cat with Silver Sable in Silver & Black like in that film Sony tried to make.

she could just keep the child and not tell Parker to not burden him with that responsibility. then you can set it in the future where Peter fights his child(lets make it a son) and learns the truth

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    she could just keep the child and not tell Parker to not burden him with that responsibility. then you can set it in the future where Peter fights his child(lets make it a son) and learns the truth
    Like in the Insomniac Games' Spider-Man DLC "The Heist" before it turned out she was lying to sucker him into helping her rob the Maggia?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Lightbulb

I don't think it requires a soft reboot but rather a better non-emotionally stunted approach to the characters. This guy does a great job of summing up what I want to see from Modern Spider-Man, at least regarding his primary love interest -

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Like in the Insomniac Games' Spider-Man DLC "The Heist" before it turned out she was lying to sucker him into helping her rob the Maggia?
    yup just do that plot or give Peter his own Daken