Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Thanks for your feedback.

While I do believe that Option 4 could be an interesting and viable option (which is why I suggested it, lol), it does have the potential to spark some divisiveness in the fandom (and probably among the creators too), because you'd literally be claiming that one Peter and MJ are the "real" ones and the other set we've been following for the past 15 years are "copies" or "variants". In a certain sense, it'd basically be akin to the Clone Saga where you claim that the guy who's been headlining the books for a while isn't the "real" one. And consequently, it invalidates or throws out a lot of the new mythology and characters that were introduced during that period (or at least, makes it confusing as hell to acknowledge it).

I included Option 4 because I do think Superman Reborn can serve as an inspiration for the Spider-Man franchise, and this approach is technically closest to what DC did. But it's a fact that Superman Reborn literally jettisoned the New 52 Superman and replaced him with the Post-Crisis version, declaring the latter as the "real" Superman of the "fixed" timeline (with the New 52 itself as a corruption of the DCU). A lot of fans, especially those on here, embraced it, but it did alienate quite a few newer fans who came on board with the New 52 Superman, or who generally enjoyed the more Golden Age/Silver Age-esq status quo of a younger, single Superman. But with DC, this is kinda par for the course - you have multiple conflicting versions of characters and TPTB need to pick one to be the 'main' version.

Marvel's approach to continuity is totally different. Even when it comes to OMD/BND, their argument is that this is the one, true Peter and MJ whose lives Mephisto tampered with. So while on a technical level, 'splitting' Spider-Man into two would make sense, it does kinda go against the spirit of Spider-Man being the same guy we've been following in an unbroken line since 1962. That said, its not like Marvel hasn't done weird timeline-related stuff to characters before (whatever they did to Tony Stark in the late 90's which I honestly just don't understand, for instance )

So I dunno...this one needs a bit more thought.
    There's really no solution that will please everyone. This is either an alternate timeline since OMD...or Peter and Mj had their memories altered...and have been committing adultery for 15 years. There's no clean solution for this. Pro-OMD folks will hate anything that reunites Peter and MJ...so it's best to just rip the band aid off. Personally...I prefer Option 4...just shunt BND Peter and MJ off to their own universe. Let Slott write that book to his hearts content.
    Last edited by Knightsilver; 06-03-2023 at 11:43 AM.

Astonishing Member

A soft-reboot was necessary since OMD. We need a full-on reboot at this point. I'd just start a comic showing Peter and MJ married with Mayday, then use flashback arcs to explain how that came about.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    A soft-reboot was necessary since OMD. We need a full-on reboot at this point.
    The only reason I've been against a hard reboot is the shared Marvel Universe, however, things are to the point that is almost no longer a concern of mine. 616 is a mess because of OMD that needs to be cleaned up so a clear continuity can be reestablished the sooner the better.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    There's really no solution that will please everyone. Pro-OMD folks will hate anything that reunites Peter and MJ...so it's best to just rip the band aid off. Personally...I prefer Option 4...just shunt BND Peter and MJ off to their own universe. Let Slott write that book to his hearts content.
    Here are my takes: 1: The next writer will not be Dan Slott. “ Spider-Man is a young person’s comic.” ( Dan Slott). 2: Most likely nothing positive happens until after issue 50 which I assume will be the Wells finale. That gives the new writer ( whoever he or she is) the opportunity to put their stamp on Peter and ( hopefully) MJ for a couple of years before ASM 1000. 3: I am opposed to a reboot. Why? I could easily see Marvel reboot Peter back to High School in 616, which might even be a worse scenario then OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Here are my takes: 1: The next writer will not be Dan Slott. “ Spider-Man is a young person’s comic.” ( Dan Slott). 2: Most likely nothing positive happens until after issue 50 which I assume will be the Wells finale. That gives the new writer ( whoever he or she is) the opportunity to put their stamp on Peter and ( hopefully) MJ for a couple of years before ASM 1000. 3: I am opposed to a reboot. Why? I could easily see Marvel reboot Peter back to High School in 616, which might even be a worse scenario then OMD.
    Oh yeah, this is my biggest fear as well. I've frankly been surprised they haven't de-aged Peter yet through some contrived means making him younger than Miles, Kamala, and co.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Characterization wise...they already rebooted him back to high school with OMD. He's been written as a 15 year old in a 30 year old body for 15 years now...they just didn't make it "official".

There's really no solution that will please everyone. This is either an alternate timeline since OMD...or Peter and Mj had their memories altered...and have been committing adultery for 15 years. There's no clean solution for this. Pro-OMD folks will hate anything that reunites Peter and MJ...so it's best to just rip the band aid off. Personally...I prefer Option 4...just shunt BND Peter and MJ off to their own universe. Let Slott write that book to his hearts content.
    Y'know, no one ever question how the Scarlet Witch and Vision can date other people, even though we haven't seen them file their divorce papers on panel.

For all intents and purposes, Peter and MJ are divorced, right? They were married (which they both remember, per OMIT), and now they're not, and they're not trying to remedy that situation. They don't wear rings, if they still have them. As far as reading between the lines goes, that's pretty definitive, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    They were married (which they both remember, per OMIT), and now they're not, and they're not trying to remedy that situation.
    Post-OMD they lived together pre-OMD, but never married.

Hell of a way to clean up the timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Post-OMD they lived together pre-OMD, but never married.

Hell of a way to clean up the timeline.
    oh yeah, it was retcon first, followed by a nebulous 20 years, then the amnesia spell. right.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Celgress;6490967]Oh yeah, this is my biggest fear as well. I've frankly been surprised they haven't de-aged Peter yet through some contrived means making him younger than Miles, Kamala, and co.[/QUOTE
    I thought about the horrible cartoon with Peter in class with Miles. One episode of that was all I can tolerate. The one thing most people are in favor of is character growth ( Marvel ( especially editorial) excluded). Which is why my number one issue with post OMD Peter is character regression.

Astonishing Member

Characterization wise...they already rebooted him back to high school with OMD. He's been written as a 15 year old in a 30 year old body for 15 years now...they just didn't make it "official".
    Wouldn’t they just de-age or get rid of Miles if they did that?

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    A soft-reboot was necessary since OMD. We need a full-on reboot at this point. I'd just start a comic showing Peter and MJ married with Mayday, then use flashback arcs to explain how that came about.
    Sounds like a mystery box
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Wouldn’t they just de-age or get rid of Miles if they did that?
    Miles is too popular for them to get rid of. It's why this obsession with making Peter "young" is so pointless. They already have a teenage Spider-Man...let Peter be an adult Marvel.

Miles is too popular for them to get rid of. It's why this obsession with making Peter "young" is so pointless. They already have a teenage Spider-Man...let Peter be an adult Marvel.
    I’ve said it before, but the Marvel universe is aging around Peter. His classmates are parents now. His exes are parents. Other heroes are married and having kids. JUBILEE is a mom. The sheer existence of Miles makes him the “old” Spider-Man.

Marvel’s attempts to keep him “young” have only created a 30 year old manchild.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I’ve said it before, but the Marvel universe is aging around Peter. His classmates are parents now. His exes are parents. Other heroes are married and having kids. JUBILEE is a mom. The sheer existence of Miles makes him the “old” Spider-Man.

Marvel’s attempts to keep him “young” have only created a 30 year old manchild.
    Everyone got older but I don’t see a lot of maturity anyways. Just a lot of bickering.