Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Default What was going on in X-books circa '97?

I'm reading the classic Kelly Deadpool run, great stuff. That's from '97, also there's that animated series sequel called X-Men 97 happening. So for fun, what was going on around that time?

Another thing is in Deadpool issue 3, Deadpool wants to go on a road trip with pizza. Siryn says this:

"Since the world fell apart, Wade! Since everything changed for the mutants! Ye of all people should know what it means to have all sense in y'r life torn away!"

I'm also curious what she's referring to, what changed everything for mutants in the mid 90s? The status quo didn't appear too different.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    I'm reading the classic Kelly Deadpool run, great stuff. That's from '97, also there's that animated series sequel called X-Men 97 happening. So for fun, what was going on around that time?

Another thing is in Deadpool issue 3, Deadpool wants to go on a road trip with pizza. Siryn says this:

"Since the world fell apart, Wade! Since everything changed for the mutants! Ye of all people should know what it means to have all sense in y'r life torn away!"

I'm also curious what she's referring to, what changed everything for mutants in the mid 90s? The status quo didn't appear too different.
    Wasn’t it Zero Tolerance? When Bastion attacked mutantkind.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Wasn’t it Zero Tolerance? When Bastion attacked mutantkind.
    Operation Zero Tolerance was the fallout and repercussions of the Onslaught debacle. The other big thing that happened in 1997 was the "Trial" of Gambit, circa UXM#346-350 for his part in the Morlock Massacre conspiracy. Other things at Marvel during that time were the relaunch of the Avengers with Kurt Busiek and George Perez (Bringing back one Carol Danvers to the Avengers fold) and Marvel launching an all New series entitled "Thunderbolts" by Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Right on, thanks. Zero Tolerance apparently starts shortly after where I'm at in Deadpool, so that hadn't happened yet. I guess Onslaught? That changed things for mutants? I haven't read it. I guess fallout and bad buzz for Xavier? I'm sure times are always tough.

What were the big things in the early to mid 90s, full on mutant status quo wise? Anything of note there?

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    Right on, thanks. Zero Tolerance apparently starts shortly after where I'm at in Deadpool, so that hadn't happened yet. I guess Onslaught? That changed things for mutants? I haven't read it. I guess fallout and bad buzz for Xavier? I'm sure times are always tough.

What were the big things in the early to mid 90s, full on mutant status quo wise? Anything of note there?
    I just so happened to be reading Excalibur '97 this week. In issue 107 some guys on the street accuse Meggan and Brian of not doing enough about Onslaught. In issue 108 and Kitty and Rahne have a discussion people blaming the X-men specifically for the death of "all those heroes."

Just some thoughts. Could still be something else specific Syrin was reffering too.

There was an interesting comparison to how Americans view Captain America and how the British(at this time and according to this writer) are naturally less likely to put their trust in people or something but I can't seem to find it right now.

Edit: Ok. It's issue 102. "It's not in the British to love anyone that unconditionally."
    Last edited by wlfking; 06-01-2023 at 08:50 PM.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.