Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I'm reminded that the announcement of this is quickly after the cancellation of the last run by Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing

Interested in this, hopefully it does well

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    It was two-fold. The exit interview over OMD on Newsarama probably pissed off Joe Q, but Marvel/Brevoort/Quesada also let Bendis mess with the Thor related stuff to do Siege and kill off Loki without JMS's consultation (he was the writer on the Thor book) and JMS going by his issues of Thor had larger plans for Loki and Asgard down the road.

But it shows that current Marvel does seem to be making some effort to getting back many of the Quesada-early Alonso era writers. Maybe Fraction and Remender will be next.
    While I doubt they would come back, I'd love Morrison to return for a 6 issue mini, maybe do something with the Ultimate relaunch.

A corner of the MU with Hickman and Morrison being involved in would probably make it the greatest thing to happen to comics since JLA/Avengers.

Anyway, I like JMS, this reminds me I should really pick up that first Spider-Man omnibus he did (the second volume contains the worst aspects of his run imo).
    I've finally gotten back to being interested in Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sam’s movie comes out next year right? He’ll probably just keep his current book, far as I know that isn’t ending.
    Unfortunately, I bet it is. If it was continuing, then shouldn't Steve's book still have a subtitle? And Sam's is the one with the legacy numbering on it.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

As far as writers who feel qualified to write Captain America, JMS is definitely pretty high up there. And I like what I'm hearing, especially focusing on Steve (which he might need with how bad his writing in Cold War has been).

The Young Steve flashback storyline reminds me of Remender.

Also it's funny they're bringing Saiz back for another Cap run, except this time with the real Cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbomb450 View Post
    So Steve will be revealed to be the chosen champion of the totem god of shields?
    You say this but the current Outer Circle storyline isn't that far off from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sam’s movie comes out next year right? He’ll probably just keep his current book, far as I know that isn’t ending.
    That's what I assumed when they ended Steve's book but didn't announce Sam's was ending.

Fantastic Member

Maybe..We’ll see..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I'm reminded that the announcement of this is quickly after the cancellation of the last run by Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing
    Probably disappointing sales given that we know that overall sales are anemic post-pandemic and we know that they'll move writers off books to chase sales if we believe the recent podcast by Hickman.

Just hope we don't get another walk across America. But, that was the cynic in my talking. We finally have a writer with some milage handling Cap, and I hope he brings his A game.

Peace

Mighty Member

I have no opinion on JMS one way or the other, but I will say that this:

" who is this character at their absolute core? Push them to their limits, put them up against a wall, make them stand when standing is the hardest thing in the world…and what do you see? Who do you see?"

is literally two out of every three Captain America runs. Every writer wants to deconstruct Steve. Hell, every writer wants to deconstruct, period. I don't know how much of a problem that is in the grand scheme of things. It certainly shines a nice light on people like Ewing and Hickman who are more interested in building things, but my point is, this is absolutely not a new take. Steve standing when standing is the hardest thing in the world is what Steve does.

I'm curious if someone from the Twelve will pop up.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I do like the idea of delving more into Steve Rogers's pre-Captain America life, especially given that JMS is going to be pitting him against the American Nazis that were gaining ground and popularity or influence before the attack on Pearl Harbor that pushed the U.S. off the sidelines of World War II. Wouldn't be surprised, though, if JMS attempts to parallel the rise of American Nazis in Steve's adolescent years with certain troubling contemporary sociopolitical developments in real life.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

I remember Superman's walk across America, so I am struggling to reserve judgment.

But we'll see

By later this year they probably mean 2026.

Extraordinary Member

I would really like Steve focusing on American issues. Don't have him dealing with global conspiracies or international terrorist.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As far as writers who feel qualified to write Captain America, JMS is definitely pretty high up there. And I like what I'm hearing, especially focusing on Steve (which he might need with how bad his writing in Cold War has been).

The Young Steve flashback storyline reminds me of Remender.

Also it's funny they're bringing Saiz back for another Cap run, except this time with the real Cap.

You say this but the current Outer Circle storyline isn't that far off from it.

That's what I assumed when they ended Steve's book but didn't announce Sam's was ending.
    The Outer Circle bit made me drop the book after issue 6 because it was just something that was really, really stupid. Just do Cap going on adventures and fighting Batroc or somebody. Hell, do something with Zemo and get him back to that anti-hero state he had in the mid-00's.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Yawn. Boring. Luckily he never stays on for long.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com