Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Unfortunately for Sam fans it looks like his book is ending as well

Seems like they put Sam on the Avengers for two reason:

1. He’ll have a book when his movie comes out next year
    2. JMS likely wants to keep Steve to himself the same way he wanted to keep Thor to himself. Putting Sam on the Avengers allows for Steve to be left solely to JMS, without events derailing his plans this time around.

Odds are long that JMS will stay on the book for long before bailing, if the WGA strike ends anytime soon I expect he’ll be exiting ASAP.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member AlligatorSky's Avatar

Sam is on the Avengers book because Steve is leading the Uncanny Avengers, no?

In any case, excited to have JMS back at Marvel; although sceptical - like others - at this being a very long run. I’m gutted Symbol of Truth and Sentinel of Liberty (particularly the latter) are ending so soon, so I might pass on this to avoid future disappointment.

UA is a mini.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by AlligatorSky View Post
    Sam is on the Avengers book because Steve is leading the Uncanny Avengers, no?

In any case, excited to have JMS back at Marvel; although sceptical - like others - at this being a very long run. I’m gutted Symbol of Truth and Sentinel of Liberty (particularly the latter) are ending so soon, so I might pass on this to avoid future disappointment.
    I’m curious if JMS Cap sells better. Seems like poor sales performance is what cut the current two Cap runs short.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m curious if JMS Cap sells better. Seems like poor sales performance is what cut the current two Cap runs short.
    I'm curious how much pull JMS still has as a comics writer. Although runs are getting shorter and shorter these days for one reason or another.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious how much pull JMS still has as a comics writer. Although runs are getting shorter and shorter these days for one reason or another.
    I imagine once big name writers will always have pull, regardless of actual ability.

How many damn times has Rob Leifield returned to X-Force and Deadpool?

Unfortunately for Sam fans it looks like his book is ending as well

Seems like they put Sam on the Avengers for two reason:

1. He’ll have a book when his movie comes out next year
    2. JMS likely wants to keep Steve to himself the same way he wanted to keep Thor to himself. Putting Sam on the Avengers allows for Steve to be left solely to JMS, without events derailing his plans this time around.

Odds are long that JMS will stay on the book for long before bailing, if the WGA strike ends anytime soon I expect he’ll be exiting ASAP.
    Does he have anything cooking, by chance? A Bab5 rebirth, perhaps?

Anyway, the pitch is exciting, and the man knows how to write. I'll table this for the larger "Cebulski's Fresh Start" thread I'm planning down the line, but it's interesting that Cap's book goes to and a "fan favourite writer of yore," and not one of the hungry, young go-getters (tho I guess Kelly\Lanzing were exactly that)

I'd want to see new villains, preferably non political ones, at first.
    I'm not hung up on seeing the latest Red Skull revival.

I'd like to see the AmeriVan come back, or a recreational vehicle that he can travel cross-country in. Maybe the Teen Brigade can be updated to a bunch of youthful social media enthusiasts, who tell Cap about various goings-on that he should pay attention to.

.. have Christopher Priest as the follow up after Mr. Straczynski's tenure is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post

Anyway, the pitch is exciting, and the man knows how to write. I'll table this for the larger "Cebulski's Fresh Start" thread I'm planning down the line, but it's interesting that Cap's book goes to and a "fan favourite writer of yore," and not one of the hungry, young go-getters (tho I guess Kelly\Lanzing were exactly that)
    I think he does have a Babylon 5 reboot he’s working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

I'd like to see the AmeriVan come back, or a recreational vehicle that he can travel cross-country in. Maybe the Teen Brigade can be updated to a bunch of youthful social media enthusiasts, who tell Cap about various goings-on that he should pay attention to.

.. have Christopher Priest as the follow up after Mr. Straczynski's tenure is over.
    Man I would love to see Priest get a run but that would be very political so I’m not sure why you want it lol.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

Totally agree. Steve does NOT have to deal with the Red Skull in every run. Bring back the Serpent Society, some other minor Cap villains and create some new bad guys for Steve to deal with.

Bring back the Hotline and update it so it is more than just an 800 number but also a social media aspect. Bring back Ram Ridley to run it. Also bring back Fabien Stankowicz as his tech guy.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Looks like JMS is going with something more supernatural. The return of Baron Blood?

I think he does have a Babylon 5 reboot he’s working on.

Man I would love to see Priest get a run but that would be very political so I’m not sure why you want it lol.
    I guess the idea I have in mind is that JMS avoids explicitly political arcs for a year (2 years?), then whenever he decides to end things, Priest could come in and do his thing, including non-political stuff if he wants.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post

The problem is the new gen of comicbook writers like Kelly/Lanzing aren't delivering in terms of sales and don't have the following/readership of the previous guys.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The problem is the new gen of comicbook writers like Kelly/Lanzing aren't delivering in terms of sales and don't have the following/readership of the previous guys.
    Who does?

Modern writers have to compete with dozens of other distractions. They really oughta underwrite comics with the movies these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Thing is the way you build readership\sales is by having books. Ewing and Cates weren't industry superstars until they got Hulk and Venom respectively and crushed it. I think K/L have the pizzaz, but unless they keep getting projects, it's not happening. At least at Marvel.

There's a bit of a DC drift happening, for the last ~5 years, really. Off the top of my head Marvel lost Tom King,G. Willow Wilson, Joshua Williamson, Matt Rosenberg, and (seemingly) Leah Williams to them, by not offering them sweet enough deals. They could do a tad better at cultivating and preserving talent, methinks