Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Which is why trusting comic "journalism" is a silly thing to do. Just take a look at the reviews and you'll see that just about everything put out by Marvel or DC gets glowing reviews from the major sites...but ask any reader and you aren't likely to find anyone who similarly believes that every thing on the shelvs each week is pure gold.
    I was not suggesting that. I was simply answering the question asked of me. And even a lot of readers did seem to enjoy it...otherwise it would not have sold as well as it did.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    I was not suggesting that. I was simply answering the question asked of me. And even a lot of readers did seem to enjoy it...otherwise it would not have sold as well as it did.
    2 things make a comic book sell, popularity and expectations. The market model is for the comic book to be sold 3 months before it is actually released. So by the time the first issue was released, all 3 were already sold. Batman is the most popular character, and there was great anticipation, for better or for worse (Liefeld's Major X #1 sold 500k just for the anticipation of the **** he was going to do).

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    2 things make a comic book sell, popularity and expectations. The market model is for the comic book to be sold 3 months before it is actually released. So by the time the first issue was released, all 3 were already sold. Batman is the most popular character, and there was great anticipation, for better or for worse (Liefeld's Major X #1 sold 500k just for the anticipation of the **** he was going to do).
    Didn't that book get more than one publishing run? I thought it did, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, that would at least suggest there were people enjoying the book.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Didn't that book get more than one publishing run? I thought it did, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, that would at least suggest there were people enjoying the book.
    Circumstancial as it is, I didn't see much in the way of positive reviews here or elsewhere.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Circumstancial as it is, I didn't see much in the way of positive reviews here or elsewhere.
    CBR actually ranked it as the number one Batman story from the past 20 years.

Unless you mean forum reviews, people posting here. If that, I will take you at your word.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

CBR actually ranked it as the number one Batman story from the past 20 years.

Unless you mean forum reviews, people posting here. If that, I will take you at your word.
    I already addressed that newsites say everything is awesome....because if they don't they fear they won't get exclusives, so yeas I'm talking actual readers.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I was more bothered by the idea that Barbara was portrayed as being unable to exist in a room without a shirtless member of the Bat Family without wanting to make out with them. And that person being Jason, especially the way he was portrayed in the comic, bothered me even more that Barbara would be in any way interested.

Then again the "Problematic guy is homicidal, murderous and toxic... but he looks hot without a shirt on so that makes up for it all amirite?" trope is one I've long grown tired of. It's one of the things I'm glad Pacific Rim subverted expectations on.
    Last edited by Majesty; 06-02-2023 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Not as much as they wanted that's why they don't push it anymore and any running series has ignored its events. It was supposed to set Jason's new status quo for example but it failed to meet expectations and everything in it got subsequently ignored.
    I suspect it has more to do with Johns not wanting anyone else to touch his toys. Three Jokers was a mammoth in sales, both single issues and the trade. DC isn’t keeping away because of sales, but because Johns had plans. He and Fabok planned to do a sequel that fell through, as Johns’ plans are wont to do.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

This story has no reason to exist (obviously, other than selling, like many bad comics that are released). While it wants to be a sequel to The Killing Joke, it contradicts The Killing Joke itself, and not for the better.
    In addition, there is the fact that all the characters involved are being embarrassed there.
    I don't know, sometimes it seems to me that Johns wanted to leave his mark on DC with Moore and Morrison already left, and it was soon in Moore's most important works. The Doomsday Clock itself is 80% unnecessary, but Johns wanted 12 issues, because Watchmen had 12 issues. And Johns trying to emulate Moore's writing is embarrassing, the best, I would say the only one I liked, issue of Doomsday Clock is precisely the one that Johns is Johns, the confrontation.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I suspect it has more to do with Johns not wanting anyone else to touch his toys. Three Jokers was a mammoth in sales, both single issues and the trade. DC isn’t keeping away because of sales, but because Johns had plans. He and Fabok planned to do a sequel that fell through, as Johns’ plans are wont to do.
    Lmao at Johns not wanting other people to touch his toys while hecan't keep his sticky fingers off of Moore's toys and when I recall Moore's attitude to adaptions of his work coupled with his adaption of other peoples creations the layers of irony just keep piling up.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Well...right here at CBR, for one.

Attachment 132333
    You should know that these CBR articles are notoriously bad. A lot of these articles are written by people who have never read a comic in their life judging by the errors they contain. They get the most basic things that even Wiki would know wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    You should know that these CBR articles are notoriously bad. A lot of these articles are written by people who have never read a comic in their life judging by the errors they contain. They get the most basic things that even Wiki would know wrong.
    You sound like you don't want to know Five Marvel Characters Batman can beat (and Five he can't.)

(Can beat: J. Jonah Jameson. Can't beat: Galactus)