Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is anyone else bothered by this in the Three Jokers?

Okay so in Three Jokers there's a scene where Batman kills the poor guys that have been kidnapped and jokerized it's when he's looking for Jason and he and Barb find all these guys turning or being in a messed-up state. One guy actually goes "Help me." I think and the reaction from Batman and Batgirl is one that results in the deaths of these men who have all probably been kidnapped and tortured by Joker. Jason's particular reaction upsets me as well he shows no empathy to these victims just wants to kill all the Joker's I mean seriously what if one escaped but retained his sanity would Jason still want to kill a guy just because he looks like the Joker? I have the same issue with what's happening in The Man Who Stopped Laughing. Jason is chasing a man who Batman says isn't Joker. I feel it's more than likely neither Joker is real and Joker's just watching everybody make fools of themselves while getting a new eye or something.

My point is that I'm surprised innocent people being harmed, mutilated/disfigured, dying and not being saved by the Bat Family just because Joker made them look like him is something that should be addressed in a future story. Another thing I'm bothered by is Harly thinking the one Joker is a fake because she doesn't think he'd show up to her. Joker's whole thing is that he's crazy. So, I find it weird she's even surprised by him doing the bizarre. The multiple Joker thing also makes me question if Harley has even met the "real" Joker.
    Last edited by Castiel; 06-02-2023 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    Okay so in Three Jokers there's a scene where Batman kills the poor guys that have been kidnapped and jokerized it's when he's looking for Jason and he and Barb find all these guys turning or being in a messed-up state. One guy actually goes "Help me." I think and the reaction from Batman and Batgirl is one that results in the deaths of these men who have all probably been kidnapped and tortured by Joker. Jason's particular reaction upsets me as well he shows no empathy to these victims just wants to kill all the Joker's I mean seriously what if one escaped but retained his sanity would Jason still want to kill a guy just because he looks like the Joker? I have the same issue with what's happening in The Man Who Stopped Laughing. Jason is chasing a man who Batman says isn't Joker. I feel it's more than likely neither Joker is real and Joker's just watching everybody make fools of themselves while getting a new eye or something.

My point is that I'm surprised innocent people being harmed, mutilated/disfigured, dying and not being saved by the Bat Family just because Joker made them look like him is something that should be addressed in a future story. Another thing I'm bothered by is Harly thinking the one Joker is a fake because she doesn't think he'd show up to her. Joker's whole thing is that he's crazy. So, I find it weird she's even surprised by him doing the bizarre. The multiple Joker thing also makes me question if Harley has even met the "real" Joker.
    The story was well done, but conceptually I thought it was a mis-step. For me it managed to water down the Joker somehow, who I consider to be the preeminent villain in all literature (and yes, I know, that is a pretty bold statement.)
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    The story was well done, but conceptually I thought it was a mis-step. For me it managed to water down the Joker somehow, who I consider to be the preeminent villain in all literature (and yes, I know, that is a pretty bold statement.)
    I feel the same way. I think it may have weakened the character. I think the ending would have been better if more than one Joker survived and I just did not care for the ending where, Bruce watches Joker's family. I also think they should retcon the reveal of Joker's wife being afraid of him maybe add some plausible doubt to her side of the story like have it come out she's a career criminal and a manipulator and for it to be implied that she played on the police and Batman's humanity.

That's been a Joker problem for the last few decades. Whenever he appears the body count is high but unimportant. I remember when he reappears in Snyder's Baman and he kills the entire precinct. Then in Three Jokers, which is all wrong, several people die but they are just bodies. With the amount of deaths, it was for the National Guard to intervene, the Justice League....etc.
    If the victim doesn't even have a name, that's what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    I feel the same way. I think it may have weakened the character. I think the ending would have been better if more than one Joker survived and I just did not care for the ending where, Bruce watches Joker's family. I also think they should retcon the reveal of Joker's wife being afraid of him maybe add some plausible doubt to her side of the story like have it come out she's a career criminal and a manipulator and for it to be implied that she played on the police and Batman's humanity.
    Maybe I just do not like the idea of there being more than one Joker. I also love the idea he is the ultimate untrustworthy narrator.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    That's been a Joker problem for the last few decades. Whenever he appears the body count is high but unimportant. I remember when he reappears in Snyder's Baman and he kills the entire precinct. Then in Three Jokers, which is all wrong, several people die but they are just bodies. With the amount of deaths, it was for the National Guard to intervene, the Justice League....etc.
    If the victim doesn't even have a name, that's what happens.
    The Joker has lost some of his sinister-ness over the past few years, I agree.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

The best thing to do is to completely ignore Three Jokers exists since does nothing interesting with the premise and it only harms the characters involved

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    The best thing to do is to completely ignore Three Jokers exists since does nothing interesting with the premise and it only harms the characters involved
    It made money so I doubt they do that.

It made money so I doubt they do that.
    Not as much as they wanted that's why they don't push it anymore and any running series has ignored its events. It was supposed to set Jason's new status quo for example but it failed to meet expectations and everything in it got subsequently ignored.

Not as much as they wanted that's why they don't push it anymore and any running series has ignored its events. It was supposed to set Jason's new status quo for example but it failed to meet expectations and everything in it got subsequently ignored.
    Where'd you read that? Everything I saw reported showed it was pretty well received.

Where'd you read that? Everything I saw reported showed it was pretty well received.
    I didn't read it anywhere, I simply saw the way it was swept under the rug after it was released and how they kept flip-flopping between being canon or not.
    And fro who was well-received? Heroes in Crisis was also "well-received" and they've spent the past two years undoing everything that happened in it.

I didn't read it anywhere, I simply saw the way it was swept under the rug after it was released and how they kept flip-flopping between being canon or not.
    And fro who was well-received? Heroes in Crisis was also "well-received" and they've spent the past two years undoing everything that happened in it.
    Well...right here at CBR, for one.

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 16.15.20.jpg

Well, that mimi sold VERY well is a fact. But what DC, and Geoff Johns expected was that Three Jokers would be received as the new Killing Joke, when in the end it only disturbs the original story and those who like The Killing Joke prefer to forget that it exists.
    I'd rather leave that **** in a corner, along with other bad Batman stories that should (others for some reason are) popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    I'd rather leave that **** in a corner, along with other bad Batman stories that should (others for some reason are) popular.
    I would be very happy if the story was completely forgotten about as well. Again, thought it was relatively solid execution, but the idea was not to my liking.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Well...right here at CBR, for one.

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 16.15.20.jpg
    Which is why trusting comic "journalism" is a silly thing to do. Just take a look at the reviews and you'll see that just about everything put out by Marvel or DC gets glowing reviews from the major sites...but ask any reader and you aren't likely to find anyone who similarly believes that every thing on the shelvs each week is pure gold.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!