Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How about reruns of "Celebrity Bowling"?
    I actually enjoy watching bowling. No idea why.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Extraordinary Member

Sumo. Yes, I know, but the fighting if about as real as it gets. Slaps are allowed, and no, Will Smith has no clue as to how to slap. I've seen guys knocked out by a sumo slap in Grand Sumo. And the matches are short and mostly fast paced, the rules are simple, (force your opponent out of the ring or get any part of his body other than the soles of his bare feet to touch ground, and you win. There are of course exceptions, and replays, but even those take place in seconds rather than minutes like in other sports---and the judges aren't afraid to rule a match to close to call and order an immediate rematch. And yes, those guys routinely get bloodied up.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Sumo. Yes, I know, but the fighting if about as real as it gets. Slaps are allowed, and no, Will Smith has no clue as to how to slap. I've seen guys knocked out by a sumo slap in Grand Sumo. And the matches are short and mostly fast paced, the rules are simple, (force your opponent out of the ring or get any part of his body other than the soles of his bare feet to touch ground, and you win. There are of course exceptions, and replays, but even those take place in seconds rather than minutes like in other sports---and the judges aren't afraid to rule a match to close to call and order an immediate rematch. And yes, those guys routinely get bloodied up.
    Sumo is brutal. Those boys play for keeps.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Retired

Curling is not that weird. The brooms might seem strange, but they serve a useful function (making the rock go in the direction you want it to go). The scoring is simple--the closest to the centre (button) wins that round (end). It's the easiest sport to watch, because you don't need to know anything going in. Even darts and billiards are more complicated. It also grows in interest the more you watch it and learn about it, because it involves so much science, strategy and calculation. You don't need to understand the physics or the mathematics to understand the sport--but for some interested in those things, it helps.

In curling you say, "Hurry hard!" meaning you want the rock to really give 'er. This is a common Canadian expression--it applies in any life situation.

Anyone can curl. It's a great game for the whole family. Obviously, you have to be physically fit and smart to play at a top level, but it's not that difficult as a casual activity, it doesn't cost mountains of cash like hockey and you don't need to skate. One of my sisters is on an amateur curling team and she's older than me. My favourite uncle (now gone) was a curler. There's wheelchair curling, there's curling for the blind. It's just an all-around welcoming sport, a lot like Canada. It ought to be the national sport really (but it was created in Scotland).

Now cricket, that sounds like some sport James T. Kirk made up to scam an alien civilization.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

What about Pickleball? That’s become rather popular, I’ve seen matches on TV, and it’s played by both young and old. Heck, I was in Dick’s Sporting Goods today and there’s a section where paddles, balls, clothing and related accessories are sold. Gotta say it’s interesting, I wouldn’t mind playing it myself.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    What about Pickleball? That’s become rather popular, I’ve seen matches on TV, and it’s played by both young and old. Heck, I was in Dick’s Sporting Goods today and there’s a section where paddles, balls, clothing and related accessories are sold. Gotta say it’s interesting, I wouldn’t mind playing it myself.
    Pickleball was even featured on the Tv show Ghosts. Jay played a virtual Pickleball game.

And speaking of Curling. I was cleaning my house today and I used one of those flat headed Swiffer mops. I hit a hard spot on the floor and just for fun started to grunt like they do in Curling. Yelling "Come on!" "Slow Down!" My dad looked at me as if I was quite insane.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Pickleball was even featured on the Tv show Ghosts. Jay played a virtual Pickleball game.

And speaking of Curling. I was cleaning my house today and I used one of those flat headed Swiffer mops. I hit a hard spot on the floor and just for fun started to grunt like they do in Curling. Yelling "Come on!" "Slow Down!" My dad looked at me as if I was quite insane.
    Maybe that was because you didn't yell "HARD! HARD!"

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think retired older tennis stars are having Pickle Ball matches. Recently there were matches featuring Andy Roddick, John McEnroe , Michael Chang and Andre Agassi

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Does sports include inanimate objects competing? Example, BattleBots?

If the answer is "yes" then my answer would be Jelle's Marble Runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think retired older tennis stars are having Pickle Ball matches. Recently there were matches featuring Andy Roddick, John McEnroe , Michael Chang and Andre Agassi
    Really? I didn't know that! Cool beans!

Do not see why they wouldn't if things like hot dog eating is considered a sport (with regard to the battlebot post.)