Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's pretty obvious these things weren't meant to last forever.

Superior Spider-Man was about why Peter Parker can't be replaced, and Parker Industries was about how he shouldn't be Tony Stark.
    Some things aren't meant to last forever.

But I just had this casual conversation with my wife.

"They're bringing back Superior Spider-Man."

"Whatever. Do you think Doc Ock still remembers what Mary Jane's butthole looks like from Peter's memories? He still knows, right?"

BANNED

Superior Spider-Man was about why Peter Parker can't be replaced, and Parker Industries was about how he shouldn't be Tony Stark.
    But that's the problem this stuff should have been a What If story rather then a years long storyline in the comics

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    But that's the problem this stuff should have been a What If story rather then a years long storyline in the comics
    Why do you think that?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post

"Whatever. Do you think Doc Ock still remembers what Mary Jane's butthole looks like from Peter's memories? He still knows, right?"
    Shocking hell . . . that must have been some convo.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Shocking hell . . . that must have been some convo.
    Like 90% of Dan Slott's work on Spider-Man, it only works if you don't think about it too hard or too much. Otherwise, implications starts to drift in...

See also: whatever the heck he was doing with Silk at first.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Like 90% of Dan Slott's work on Spider-Man, it only works if you don't think about it too hard or too much. Otherwise, implications starts to drift in...

See also: whatever the heck he was doing with Silk at first.
    Thank whatever capital-G god(s) you may or may not worship that Marvel got Robbie Thompson to write her ongoing instead. Really did a lot to make her a viable character after that whole s***storm that was her introductory arcs.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I tried reading the OG Superior Spider-Man run today (it was extremely painful to do so, Superior is nothing like Adjectiveless despite both being Slott books, Otto is one seriously insufferable jackass) and I got to the scene your wife is talking about...I dropped it right there and then. That was some seriously disturbing shit.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

BANNED

Why do you think that?
    Good What If stories like What If Sue Storm died during Childbirth act as a character study without it affecting the main title.

We don't need for that stuff to take over the main title for a few years to reach a thesis statement that could be done in the span of an issue or two of What If.

Spider-Man at his core is a Soap Opera about a boy growing up and gaining the responsibilities that comes with that. Going to college, paying rent, getting married all the while fighting foes like the Green Goblin.

Superior Spider-Man and Parker Inc only helped further the derailment of Peter's story.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Honestly I dunno why the hell anyone really wanted Kraven back.

Like, Kraven's Last Hunt is an awesome story, but it's also his only one that is anything above "good", he's a lame villain who, while he had unique motivations compared to everyone else, just, was kinda there.

Also in KLH itself I found his overly repetitive narration to get a bit annoying after a while, specially when he was talking about the past, for whatever reason DeMatteis absolutely refused to use a comic book as a visual medium, so we just have him talking about his sick mother over and over again, with not a single panel showing that lol.

I'll also always find it hilarious that his last story right before Kraven's Last Hunt was him trying to defeat Spidey to impress his girlfriend (It was Calypso) lol.
    This was always the biggest problem. Great Kraven's back....now what? It's the same sort of thinking that led to OMD in the first place. The crew around at the time wanted Spider-Man as he was in 1980 exactly. Just smack dab in the middle of the Denny O'Neil run, widely considered to be the weakest run in the title's history at the time (fortunately for him as a comic legend Howard Mackie got overworked into supplanting him and now Slott and Wells are making sure he's got some padding from teh bottom). It's ok to let villains arc end. gives space for new ones.

Honestly, as bad as modern comics pacing are now, it's still way better than mangas with motherfucking nothing happening in a chapter lol.

Though the amount of content is about the same, it's just that mangas tend to have a bunch of inconsequential chapters, and it's far, far worse during fight scenes, because they like to make fight scenes that just, never, ever end, just because lol.

It's why I found Dragon Ball to be impressive, at its best, fights had a bunch of shit going on, more content in those fights than monthly mangas, and DB was a weekly manga lol.

Although as bad as mangas can be, Korean webcomics can be even worse...
    There are definitely still inconsequential chapters but I feel like the current trend is for things to move pretty fast. MHA is probably the most classic and even there the fights are pretty quick and definitive. Jujutsu Kaisen is almost too fast.

The same boyfriend is completely forgotten about once Spidey is back in the picture lol.

well yeah that's what MJ would do. Say it again for Wells.

The anime added a scene or two that had stuff like that, I'm pretty sure their marriage even shows them kissing.

The manga never showed them doing anything beyond hugging though (Even then their hug at the 23rd tournament has Goku wanting her to stop it lol), that includes the scene you mentioned (Which, sounds like a TFS thing, but maybe something like it happened in the anime).
    DBZ Abridged may be the superior canon but I'm pretty sure that it hasn't supplanted my memory of the original series, lol. I think they just made it even more explicit.

Blue is just Super Saiyan transformation being used with Super Saiyan God, that's it lol.

It disappeared for a while because it fucked up Goku's ki, though he did use it once against fused Zamasu at least.

Then ToP completely ignores this and has him spamming Blue Kaioken (Even going as far as 20x) with barely any ki issues, even after the tournament lol.

The magic of training. <_<

if that was the point it does a bad job of showing it.

There are somethings a man will hold onto until the day he dies.......

But fortunately for everyone except Otto, he loses all of Peter's memories in Superior 8 as part of purging Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I tried reading the OG Superior Spider-Man run today (it was extremely painful to do so, Superior is nothing like Adjectiveless despite both being Slott books, Otto is one seriously insufferable jackass) and I got to the scene your wife is talking about...I dropped it right there and then. That was some seriously disturbing shit.
    Superior 2 is legitimately one of the worst Spider-Man issues of all time. The entire plot is "Otto tries to bang Mary Jane and fails", which would be bad enough, but it's so badly done and internally inconsistent it's just awful. I made it a little further but I'm never gonna forget that issue for how bad it was.

I didn't get that impression from the second one at all, he killed PI for the sake of stopping a super-villain (Which was a really bad way of doing it), but nowhere does it look like having a big ass company was a hidrance to him.

About the biggest thing that pointed that way is that PI was actively losing money with how much he tried to help, but it played no role in its end.

Mephisto rather explicitly removed any Spidey related memories from him, so no, he's not gonna be using Spidey's memories as masturbation material again.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    As much as Otto is an ass, it's hard to care about Spidey, since his suffering can sometimes be played for laughs, and he tends to use Slott's worst tendencies when writing Spidey with how annoying he can sound lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Why though? We knew Peter would get his body back, sure. But then they went through the trouble of having Original and Superior co-exist. So why kill him off?

To bring back Doc Ock?

Why?

Why is there this need to reset everything back to Status Quo all the time in comics? Same thing is happening with Norman. He's doing something totally different and interesting, but somehow it's apparently a foregone conclusion that he'll be the Green Goblin again. Why should we get invested in these characters at this point only if they're going to just revert back to the same old same old? Since when was character development a bad thing? I mean look at Venom.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    Why though? We knew Peter would get his body back, sure. But then they went through the trouble of having Original and Superior co-exist. So why kill him off?

To bring back Doc Ock?

Why?

Why is there this need to reset everything back to Status Quo all the time in comics?
    This was so egregious as Slott had repeatedly shown that Otto had backed up his mind in various places (sometimes even unbeknown to himself). With the conventions set up in Superior Spider-Man's own history there was an easy out to have two Ottos, one who had reformed based on his experiences and the "pure" villainous Doctor Octopus Otto from before these experiences.

There was absolutely no need to revert Superior Otto to Doc Ock, and the less said about the now bizarrely overused Spider-trope of making a deal with the devil the better (has every Spider now made a Hellish pact?).

Why should we get invested in these characters at this point only if they're going to just revert back to the same old same old? Since when was character development a bad thing? I mean look at Venom.
    Totally agree.

Same thing is happening with Norman. He's doing something totally different and interesting, but somehow it's apparently a foregone conclusion that he'll be the Green Goblin again.
    My main issues with Norman are that he's so irredeemable, he did so much bad that it's really hard for me to root for him, and the means of his face turn being a magic shotgun.

I'd argue that, unlike Otto, Wells isn't telling an interesting story about a sinless Norman so I can't get invested. He's just become a supporting character who keeps talking about trying to redeem himself but not actually doing anything different. He's still got his company, his Goblin gear (now white and gold), he's paid no price for all the evil he did and hasn't had to work to become a better person.

His big hero moment in ASM, the thing that made Peter trust him over all the super-scientist heroes he is friends with, was little more than an excuse of convenience. Norman didn't go out of his way to help Peter, he didn't sacrifice to help, he was just in a lab at the right time.

The (mostly) excellent Cantwell miniseries did some heavy lifting, but it still more felt like a Norman who was frustrated/depressed that the things he'd done now weighed on him rather than being genuinely appalled by the things he has done.

Maybe it's me being unable to see past his evil history, but I don't see him as repentant or trying to make amends for his past. He's just largely doing the same things he always did, only now on the side of good*.

At least in adjectiveless Spider-Man people are genuinely disgusted to be in his presence. More of that and actually sacrificing to win people over/prove his change of heart will go a long way with me.

*this was THE BEST thing about the fantastic Axis Hobgoblin miniseries. Kingsley was exactly as much a piece of shit as a "good" guy, he was just doing the same schtick with hero identities/costumes. However, that worked because it was tongue in cheek.
    Last edited by exile001; 06-12-2023 at 06:24 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Mighty Member

To bring back Doc Ock?

Why?

Why is there this need to reset everything back to Status Quo all the time in comics? Same thing is happening with Norman. He's doing something totally different and interesting, but somehow it's apparently a foregone conclusion that he'll be the Green Goblin again. Why should we get invested in these characters at this point only if they're going to just revert back to the same old same old? Since when was character development a bad thing? I mean look at Venom.
    I mean the simple answer is that the caretakers are doing a bad job. It's ok for lot sof things to return to status quo. But some things should move on, and pulling them back makes for a worse story. I love Doc Ock, I think he's a great classic villain. Also his last great comic book story was like in the 80s. I don't need him anymore. Having him keep some of his heroic lessons from Peter even in his old body is at least a new direction for him to go in. Norman I will disagree a bit on. He's...just too evil to redeem in my eyes. And the magic way he became good is the sort of "easy come easy go" thing that kinda demands it be reverted. Sometimes you can enjoy something and learn something from even a temporary situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I mean the simple answer is that the caretakers are doing a bad job. It's ok for lot sof things to return to status quo. But some things should move on, and pulling them back makes for a worse story. I love Doc Ock, I think he's a great classic villain. Also his last great comic book story was like in the 80s. I don't need him anymore. Having him keep some of his heroic lessons from Peter even in his old body is at least a new direction for him to go in. Norman I will disagree a bit on. He's...just too evil to redeem in my eyes. And the magic way he became good is the sort of "easy come easy go" thing that kinda demands it be reverted. Sometimes you can enjoy something and learn something from even a temporary situation.
    Spencer's magic shotgun of cleansing was just kind of dumb, but I think Norman absolutely needed a kind of 'factory reset' as a charcter. What we're getting right now honestly good enough that I'm inclined to shrug and say 'whatever it takes, I guess' because comic books, man.

I don't believe any of Spidey's rogues should be utterly beyond redemption to begin with because I think his story kind of demands that they not be.

Norman's memory of his sins remained, and he was pretty clearly tortured by them throughout Gold Goblin, and the fact that he was able to confront his own sins and rejec them out of how powerful that guilt was felt like a very 'Spider-Man' moment to me.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-12-2023 at 06:22 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Spencer's magic shotgun of cleansing was just kind of dumb, but I think Norman absolutely needed a kind of 'factory reset' as a charcter. What we're getting right now honestly good enough that I'm inclined to shrug and say 'whatever it takes, I guess' because comic books, man.

I don't believe any of Spidey's rogues should be utterly beyond redemption to begin with because I think his story kind of demands that they not be.

Norman's memory of his sins remained, and he was pretty clearly tortured by them throughout Gold Goblin, and the fact that he was able to confront his own sins and rejec them out of how powerful that guilt was felt like a very 'Spider-Man' moment to me.
    It was, but like, Gwen is still dead. Mayday is still dead. Harry is still dead. And those are just the people we know. Like at a certain point I'm not sure you're forgivable on this earth.