Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    This was the run that got me into comic books, so I’m pretty excited
    It got me back into Spidey comics, as am I.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    FINALLY. I look forward to this. Ironically enough, since I've completely dropped Amazing, this would replace it. How fitting....
    We're in the same boat. You Amazing readers can have Paul give me Anna Maria (crosses fingers).

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Fairly interested in this, but mostly because just the announcement opens up a whole slew of questions.

Is this replacing Slott's adjectiveless Spider-Man series, because given his history I highly doubt he's even able to write two ongoings at the same time (unless it's a mini-series)?

Will this be an "Untold Tales" series, or is Otto getting another clone body in the next ASM arc? If we do get the latter, I am hoping we'll get a return to form for Otto similar to how Gage wrote him in his Superior run, since I thought that was an interesting and compelling take on his character. I felt him getting his body/old personality back was cheap, but I appreciated they kept him grounded and subdued for the most part (the issue of Beyond where he and May team up was excellent). I didn't care for him reverting back to his generic mad scientist persona in Devil's Reign and current ASM, so if we get anti-hero Otto back I'll be happy, it'll just make the mad scientist reverting funny for how pointless it'd be.
    Considering the next ASM arc has Ock in it I guess they might build it up there. Maybe the big announcement in the wedding issue is a new Superior title.

Honestly I get people like a more morally ambiguous Otto but at the same time I still don't think he's earned being a hero again, let alone Spider-Man. Especially with the state Peter is in right now.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering the next ASM arc has Ock in it I guess they might build it up there. Maybe the big announcement in the wedding issue is a new Superior title.

Honestly I get people like a more morally ambiguous Otto but at the same time I still don't think he's earned being a hero again, let alone Spider-Man. Especially with the state Peter is in right now.
    I would say there's no way they're going to switch him back to being a Spider-Man after taking all that effort to make him Otto again, but then again they published Dead Language so nothing is too shameful for them to pull.

Maybe he wont' get a new body he'll just operate under a different motif? Like there's no rule that says he has to be Peter Parker to be a Spider-Man. he's got eight limbs, he can invent stuff, mabye just have a doc ock trying to go straight story? Then again that feels al ittle too nuanced for Slott....

I'd argue there's a good middle ground there between him being a full blown superhero and him being all "I WANNA KILL SPIDER-MAN JUST BECAUSE", so I'll take any new level of nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I would say there's no way they're going to switch him back to being a Spider-Man after taking all that effort to make him Otto again, but then again they published Dead Language so nothing is too shameful for them to pull.

Maybe he wont' get a new body he'll just operate under a different motif? Like there's no rule that says he has to be Peter Parker to be a Spider-Man. he's got eight limbs, he can invent stuff, mabye just have a doc ock trying to go straight story? Then again that feels al ittle too nuanced for Slott....
    That's what Gage's Superior Spider-Man run was, he had a new cloned body and a new identity, and it was about him genuinely trying to go straight. I assume he'd be getting another new body here, just cause I don't see him operating under the Spider-Man name in his natural form (even though it would be funny to see him wearing the suit like that). Like you mentioned, after all the effort they went to making him classic Otto again, it's hard to buy how they will do the sudden shift to heroics-ish, but the inconsistency wouldn't exactly be unheard of as of late.

Why would Marvel do a book about a rapist as a protagonist?

It would be kind of funny if they bring SpOck back if only because it would mean we get a period where none of the Big Three (Otto, Norman, and Eddie) are villains.

Mighty Member

It would be kind of funny if they bring SpOck back if only because it would mean we get a period where none of the Big Three (Otto, Norman, and Eddie) are villains.
    Time for Kingsley to swoop in and take his rightful mantle as the primary spidervillain!

-------------------------------------------

I don't think it's necessarily true that it'll be Otto in the primary role. That's obviously the most likely guess, but I could see this being someone wacky like Kaine or a mini where Peter is doing something specific that involves emulating some of Otto's less totalitarian traits from his time as SM
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

what exactly has Eddie done to be considered one of the Big Three villains? I never here any major venom story besides his initial one. also if those three guys aren't villains then Marvel will be forced to make new stories for his lesser villains
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I would like to see a full-on anti-hero trending to sometimes villainous in the name of fighting crime Spock with no influence from Peter so Spock during the first several issues of Classic Superior. A smarter more brutal version of Kaine as Scarlet Spider.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I guess Otto will now exist in such a cyclic style? Doc Oсk, then Superior, then Doc Oсk again, then Superior again? Can they just make up their mind?
    They could always bring back Dr. Elliot Toliver as Superior and keep Otto as the classic Doc Ock, this way the can have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    *in Spider-Man 2099 voice*
    “Somehow… Superior Spider-Man returned.”
    Loool that was good.

Also Imma assume Spider-Verse 2 is out, either that or he got a cool voice in a trailer.

Anyways if this is Otto then I'm 100% not surprised, Slott coming back to ASM meant that Otto being used in some way is not a matter of "if", but "when", it's like DeMatteis telling a story about fucking Kraven.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Loool that was good.

Also Imma assume Spider-Verse 2 is out, either that or he got a cool voice in a trailer.

Anyways if this is Otto then I'm 100% not surprised, Slott coming back to ASM meant that Otto being used in some way is not a matter of "if", but "when", it's like DeMatteis telling a story about fucking Kraven.
    Slott has a secondary, Spider-Man title though. That nobody really cares about. Not ASM

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Slott has a secondary, Spider-Man title though. That nobody really cares about. Not ASM
    Yeah I meant "coming back to Spider-Man", my bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I'd argue there's a good middle ground there between him being a full blown superhero and him being all "I WANNA KILL SPIDER-MAN JUST BECAUSE", so I'll take any new level of nuance.

That's what Gage's Superior Spider-Man run was, he had a new cloned body and a new identity, and it was about him genuinely trying to go straight. I assume he'd be getting another new body here, just cause I don't see him operating under the Spider-Man name in his natural form (even though it would be funny to see him wearing the suit like that). Like you mentioned, after all the effort they went to making him classic Otto again, it's hard to buy how they will do the sudden shift to heroics-ish, but the inconsistency wouldn't exactly be unheard of as of late.
    Ah yes the ol' you can't rule it out because they're terrible problem, lol.

One day when Spider-Man isin a better place i'll reread the series and this time I'll force myself to finish Superior Spider-Man, if only for completion sake, and then i will read the Gage run. I'm sure it's better.

Odd state of affairs. I've personally always been fine with moving on, though my view of Norman is too conflicted. If my Spider-Man thinking wasn't under severe emotional distress.maybe I woould be able to process it better, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    what exactly has Eddie done to be considered one of the Big Three villains? I never here any major venom story besides his initial one. also if those three guys aren't villains then Marvel will be forced to make new stories for his lesser villains
    Venom has always been the most contentious of the "big three" villains. He mostly makes it on there because of popularity, but in fairness he was also a beast in his first few runs. One of the things people complained about at the time was how Spider-Man could never seem to actually BEAT Venom, usually getting saved or settling for a tie (Funny this seems femiliar) but he was dangerous, he knew Spidey's identity, and he could fool Spidey sense. From a danger level he worked on a level that no one had since Ock and then Goblin did.

Of course, after those first couple os stories he really only had one more good Spider-Man story in the first Carnage one, but ehhhhh.