Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    My first thought was Storm and my second was Thor, specifically about the speed feats. To this day, I maintain that a mook with a gun has a 50/50 shot at killing Storm in Khazan, via the usual quickdraw. I do think that Thor has some speed feats, but they all seem to involve the hammer. I can't remember seeing Thor doing anything superhumanly fast without his hammer. During his lengthy unworthy phase, there were plenty of opportunities for him to prove his innate speed, if any.
    He does have some speedfeats without the hammer, but most of them are quite old. I was the one to bring this one up while searching for information to use for a mod-ruling, waaaaay back when, but Pendaran explains it best. He also has other feats like 'running through a park so fast nobody can see him and think only a that a strong breeze has blown through'.

Again, these are old feats.

Once in a while, in slightly more recent times, we get stuff like 'by narration, reacts in microseconds' and things like that.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-05-2023 at 06:22 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    3. The all-in-one back-in-the-day speed arguments:
    b) Thor
    Ah he's lightspeed right?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Ah he's lightspeed right?
    Gundam again.jpg
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    When I posted this thread I was thinking more along the lines of which characters rarely get a clear win or lose due to the complicated nature of their powers and abilities. I forgot that there is also, occasionally, the tendency for subjective viewing of the facts relating to these characters. Which is a side effect of having characters with powers and abilities that aren't always consistent or predictable.
    Characters with luck powers are never good for Rumbles because of exactly this kind of thing.

Also going back to the speed debate characters…
    c) Gambit
    Chief Curmudgeon

Astonishing Member

Anything that has Bats with Prep or Reed with prep - NOOOO!

Fight with what you got. If prep means getting it out of the locker - OK. But building something from scratch - no!

Are Anime/Manga characters easier to use in a Rumble than Western characters (DC, Marvel, etc.)? Or are they about the same?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Are Anime/Manga characters easier to use in a Rumble than Western characters (DC, Marvel, etc.)? Or are they about the same?
    Depends entirely on the series in question for either side.

Manga tends to be a little more consistent because they usually have only one writer and a single finite run, whereas Big Two superhero comics run indefinitely and can have hundreds of different writers with differing ideas about what they can do and how they can do it which naturally can create greater disparity within the context of a single character.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Depends entirely on the series in question for either side.

Manga tends to be a little more consistent because they usually have only one writer and a single finite run, whereas Big Two superhero comics run indefinitely and can have hundreds of different writers with differing ideas about what they can do and how they can do it which naturally can create greater disparity within the context of a single character.
    That's true. It's rare for another Mangaka to take over someone else's work, though transitions from Manga to Anime sometimes do change characters.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.