Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Criticize one of your favorite films or tv shows

It's very easy to brag about movies and tv shows we love. In this thread, try to criticize one of your favorite films or tv shows even though you love them.

Me: The Golden Girls

It had amazing actresses and characters. The writing was usually top notch and hilarious. And the show had an extra insurance policy if a joke didn't work - just have the camera pan over to Bea Arthur with that exasperatingly annoyed scowl on her face and big laughs would ensue.

However, during some of the middle seasons, they relied too much on Bea's scowl. It seemed like every joke was followed by one. Even something as 'golden' as that could get a little old. As my Mom used to say, "you can get tired of ice cream."

Also, I've read where Estelle Getty (Sophia) had stage fright and early Dementia. As a result, she would have her lines written all over the sets. Because of that, she would sometimes recite her lines way too fast where you could hardly understand what she said. It wasn't her fault though, bless her heart.

Last edited by caj; 06-05-2023 at 01:19 PM.

Empty Nest: Charley Detz was sort of a proto-Quagmire (heck since he came first he was probably the inspiration for Quagmire especially given their professions), and...kinda struggle to see what his purpose was other than to give Harry a male friend. Even in that regard he wasn't a very good friend, Harry always seemed annoyed with him and his antics, like randomly coming over to eat Harry's food. My theory is that all of the characters were rough analogues of The Golden Girls, and he's what they came up with for Blanche.

Sophia should have never been added, but Maxine (Marsha Warfield) should have been added sooner. Though I get them wanting to keep that The Golden Girls connection after The Golden Palace went off the air and Sophia was the only one that made sense...though personally more Rose would have been great.

As much as I love "Barry" and how that show stuck the landing, I wasn't crazy about how they resolved Fuch's character. It's still new enough I won't go into it, but that was the one misstep in my mind.

Star Trek---The Main characters are the only ones that can fix things on the Enterprise. Warp Core is broke? Scotty is incapacitated? Send Uruha. She can go it!!!! Not Ensign Bob who works there and knows it inside and out, but the Communications officer can do it!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

The first 5 seasons of GOT alone put it as my one of my favorite shows, still, but of course it's amazing that I can say that given 2 whole disappointing seasons at the end (Seasons 7, 8). Ramsay's death at the end of Season 6 I really didn't like either, really fan servicey, and just cringingly bad. That was, for me, the first sign that show had lost its way, jumped the shark.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Always will love BTAS & I've had issues with TNBA, but it's sad that Jason Todd was skipped. Thankfully, DC Comics rectified that in their comic tie-in...

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

While The Sopranos was obviously a great show, every time they went to Hollywood or dealt with entertainment industry shenanigans it was hard to not roll one's eyes. Weakest point of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    As much as I love "Barry" and how that show stuck the landing, I wasn't crazy about how they resolved Fuch's character. It's still new enough I won't go into it, but that was the one misstep in my mind.
    I hated the docudrama and what they did with Gene. Didn't ring true and stunk of writers trying to be clever.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Friends: I felt there were way too many jokes about the guys acting/being gay and liking girls things. I know they had a lesbian wedding but it comes off as homophobic and juvenile. Especially Monica became shrewish on the subject when she married Chandler. Thats another thing, Monica was getting increasingly more unlikable towards the end of the series.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Pretty much S6 in its entirety, a rebound with S7 but wow that s6!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Skyfall. Great Bond movie but Silva's "plan" was not possible.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    Skyfall. Great Bond movie but Silva's "plan" was not possible.
    Dr Evil in Austin Powers showed that all Bond villain plans are dumb.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Dr Evil in Austin Powers showed that all Bond villain plans are dumb.
    Actually, one of the one's that was not is from a movie a lot of people did not like: Quantum of Solace.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Agreed 100%.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

simpsons - spun out into overly wacky territory after several seasons + succumbed to celebrity cameos

larry sanders show - ended too early