Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If loving Kevin Wada's Bruce Wayne showing off the goods is odd, I don't want to be normal.

This day and age encourages people to be more open about it.

Sometimes you're not in the mood for anything too explicit. And you can save the pictures of these covers for free too.

The collectors who want all the covers and also like cheesecake/beefcake get something out of it
    The funny thing is, we'll still get people complaining about how "sexless" superhero comics have become.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-19-2023 at 12:37 AM.

It is covers like those that make checking solicits at work particularly nerve racking for fear of being seen browsing past such a cover without context.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    It is covers like those that make checking solicits at work particularly nerve racking for fear of being seen browsing past such a cover without context.
    It is work for a reason lol

Well, even though it's not Adam Hughes, there is an audience. I'm not going to lie, I bought Deathstroke Inc. 1 for a reason...

large-1385373.jpg

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It is work for a reason lol
    Narc! Narc!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The funny thing is, we'll still get people complaining about how "sexless" superhero comics have become.
    Haven't they? I feel like superheroes aren't nearly as horny as they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Haven't they? I feel like superheroes aren't nearly as horny as they used to be.
    Well, compared to the 90's/early 2000's...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I think being sexless and being horny are largely unrelated.

Comics back in the day were just horny in a shallow, pandering way. Sex wasn't treated as something normal, but instead as a way to entice the reader.

Modern comics portray sex in a more healthy and positive manner.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post

Comics back in the day were just horny in a shallow, pandering way. Sex wasn't treated as something normal, but instead as a way to entice the reader.
    Facts.

And generally, when it is portrayed in a healthier and more positive manner, it's often accused of being "woke" (even though most who use that word can't even define it).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

The cover felt like it was channeling Adam Hughes so on that level I think it works.

I think quite the opposite.
    Sexuality was dealt with with more serious hand in days of yore or just not dealt with at all. In modern post-CCA days, its a punchline. Serious relationships are rare to find. In some ways it's great that sexual freedom has its place but in other ways it feels more like just a pandering move.
    * discussion might deserve a thread of its own. Over in Xbooks there's a whole branch of discussion about Storm being shown waking up naked imbed with a character she's only been shown going on one date with*
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I think quite the opposite.
    Sexuality was dealt with with more serious hand in days of yore or just not dealt with at all. In modern post-CCA days, its a punchline. Serious relationships are rare to find. In some ways it's great that sexual freedom has its place but in other ways it feels more like just a pandering move.
    * discussion might deserve a thread of its own. Over in Xbooks there's a whole branch of discussion about Storm being shown waking up naked imbed with a character she's only been shown going on one date with*
    I don't think we are speaking about serious relationships.

In the past, characters were sexualized a lot to entince the (horny) readers, while the characters don't really have or deal with sex. That isn't a serious way to handle the topic.

Now, characters being promiscuos isn't really pandering. The pandering only happens if the artist takes the opportunity to oversexualize the character.

Astonishing Member

The sales for the Birds of Prey comic seems to be pretty good:

In october 2023, its position was 15 in ICv2 ranking. Now, this isn't necessarily a reliable source, but it's pretty good Birds of Prey is so high.

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...s-october-2023

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    The sales for the Birds of Prey comic seems to be pretty good:

In october 2023, its position was 15 in ICv2 ranking. Now, this isn't necessarily a reliable source, but it's pretty good Birds of Prey is so high.

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...s-october-2023
    Seems like we're a lock for a second arc. I wonder if they'll do a completely different team next arc.

Depends on the time I think. In the 90's to the 2000's sure you had a lot of overly sexualized characters and lots of hookups of no substance but I think generally speaking comics used to play up on the soap opera aspect of relationship even more than they do now. It used to be fun figuring out the romances, love triangles, unrequited feelings etc but outside of the Krakoan Era I don't comics take on sex and relationships have been very conservative the last few years.