Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Depends on the time I think. In the 90's to the 2000's sure you had a lot of overly sexualized characters and lots of hookups of no substance but I think generally speaking comics used to play up on the soap opera aspect of relationship even more than they do now. It used to be fun figuring out the romances, love triangles, unrequited feelings etc but outside of the Krakoan Era I don't comics take on sex and relationships have been very conservative the last few years.
    Just compare Claremont X-Men to Duggan X-Men and it feels like the way the books handles relationships is completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just compare Claremont X-Men to Duggan X-Men and it feels like the way the books handles relationships is completely different.
    Its like you knew exactly what period of comics i was referring to in my mind.

Extraordinary Member

Seems like we're a lock for a second arc. I wonder if they'll do a completely different team next arc.
    I hope not. I'm really loving every single member of this team and how they interact.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I hope not. I'm really loving every single member of this team and how they interact.
    I only ask because I think Thompson said this team was pretty situational to the first arc and not going to be an ongoing thing.

Extraordinary Member

Birds of Prey #4 Preview
    Writer: Kelly Thompson
    Artist: Leonardo Romero

This issue might not endear Kelly Thompson to Wonder Woman fans much.

As a Wonder Woman fan I liked it, in fact I'm now a Kelly Thompson fan. She took a team I didn't want and put them in a super cringe scenario that threatened to make my favorite hero look bad and forced me to enjoy it. That's talent.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

BIRDS OF PREY #6 cover variant PABLO VILLALOBOS
    That's a great cover from the School of Adam Hughes, my only complaint is Barda should have on her Lainie Kazan power bikini for branding purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Depends on the time I think. In the 90's to the 2000's sure you had a lot of overly sexualized characters and lots of hookups of no substance but I think generally speaking comics used to play up on the soap opera aspect of relationship even more than they do now. It used to be fun figuring out the romances, love triangles, unrequited feelings etc but outside of the Krakoan Era I don't comics take on sex and relationships have been very conservative the last few years.
    That's true and I'm going to leave it alone. There was a lot more I wanted to say though.

Ok, so this issue just showed how pointless it was to not talk to Diana before invading the island. I was hoping Thompson would be able to show the “logic”, but it was just an excuse for the team to fight WW before dealing with the real threat.
    There were some enjoyable moments and the art is incredible, though.
    I hope the story improves now the hero vs hero cliche is finally out of the way.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Dinah not communicating clearly is something that Kelley does call out which is great. Overall, I like it enough. Is it the gold standard for BoP stories? No but far from the worst. Kelleys treatment of the Amazons is what takes me out of the story the most.

I'm hoping the next arc has a better plot for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Ok, so this issue just showed how pointless it was to not talk to Diana before invading the island. I was hoping Thompson would be able to show the “logic”, but it was just an excuse for the team to fight WW before dealing with the real threat.
    The reasoning was explained in issue #2. I don't like it very much, because like you said it feels like it's working backward to facilitate a big fight, but still.
    The idea is that if Dinah were to ask and Diana were to say no, there'd be no possible way to do anything, because then the Amazons would be aware that Dinah knows Sin is on the island and might try to recover her, giving up the element of surprise. If recovering Sin by peaceful means can't work, the Amazons all die, and that's too big of a risk to take. It's a choice between a long shot and an impossibility.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I'm sure some people will grouse, but this situation is like "TDKR" where the way more powerful hero isn't really trying to hurt their friends while they're being pummeled, and ultimately fail. But so many people bought into the idea that Batman "beat" Superman even though he was mostly just standing there asking Bruce to stop. Here, WW is mostly asking why her friends are attacking her, and they're just wailing on her trying to take her out, but the second she's had enough, she ends it.

Also, was anyone else confused by "Diana was turned into butterflies, then she's suddenly on the island?"

My biggest complaint about this is my complaint last time - it seems like they had no plan and didn't even talk to each other. They're all surprised by Harley's method of getting to the island, they're surprised by Zealot bonding with the island and it seems they just hadn't thought anything through, which is unusual for Dinah - especially since they had time to come up with something other than "Barda Boom Tubes Sin away the first chance we get."

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm sure some people will grouse, but this situation is like "TDKR" where the way more powerful hero isn't really trying to hurt their friends while they're being pummeled, and ultimately fail. But so many people bought into the idea that Batman "beat" Superman even though he was mostly just standing there asking Bruce to stop. Here, WW is mostly asking why her friends are attacking her, and they're just wailing on her trying to take her out, but the second she's had enough, she ends it.

Also, was anyone else confused by "Diana was turned into butterflies, then she's suddenly on the island?"

My biggest complaint about this is my complaint last time - it seems like they had no plan and didn't even talk to each other. They're all surprised by Harley's method of getting to the island, they're surprised by Zealot bonding with the island and it seems they just hadn't thought anything through, which is unusual for Dinah - especially since they had time to come up with something other than "Barda Boom Tubes Sin away the first chance we get."
    I think it's the mass jobbing of Amazons that's really going to stick out to people.

Oracle would have totally organized this better .

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

has Canary ever been known to be a tactician? Seriously asking because I dont recall that. It was always Oracle orchestrating things and Canary wanting to go in and bust heads, part of what made their relationship insteresting and fun.

Yes, KT has said the team rotates in the next arc, but I do really hope that she keeps Barda and Cass. Their relationship has been fun to watch. We need a spin-off mini series Big Barda and Small Bat. Harley, while done exceptionally well and Zealot can wander off somewhere.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski