Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    But how would the companies get people to make clickbait articles to support their books unless THIS VILLAIN HAS JUST KILLED MORE PEOPLE THAN ANYONE EVER! or THIS OBSCURE AQUAMAN BADGUY IS NOW AN EVIL GOD!

You can't get those kind of headlines from GUESS WHAT PENNY PLUNDERER JUST TRIED TO PLUNDER.

I don't know but DC survived just fine for decades with heroes fighting the likes of the The Wizard, Composite Superman, Cheetah, Gentleman Ghost, Ultraa, and the Brotherhood of Evil.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I don't know but DC survived just fine for decades with heroes fighting the likes of the The Wizard, Composite Superman, Cheetah, Gentleman Ghost, Ultraa, and the Brotherhood of Evil.
    Indeed, they were more successful, back then...

But the world has changed. Every year editorial demands a new 'Crisis on Infinite Earth's' level end-of-everything 'event', and the villains of those events need to be multiverse-destroyer level threats, because the bar has been set so ludicrously high. They rode the tiger and are afraid to dismount.

I think god-like villains and the 'ZOMG NOTHINGS GOING TO BE THE SAME AFTER THIS!!!" events they bring with them are so boring.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Look at the first three Die Hard movies. Each succeeding sequel, the scale of the villains' plans increased, and yet at the end of the day, two of the three viilains' plans were about stealing money and getting rich, while the middle one was basically a "Screw you, world, for changing politically" bit of protest (and also murder, mass murder, and terrorism). You telling me today's writers can't make a compelling story about villains motivated by greed or reactionary politics anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Look at the first three Die Hard movies. Each succeeding sequel, the scale of the villains' plans increased, and yet at the end of the day, two of the three viilains' plans were about stealing money and getting rich, while the middle one was basically a "Screw you, world, for changing politically" bit of protest (and also murder, mass murder, and terrorism). You telling me today's writers can't make a compelling story about villains motivated by greed or reactionary politics anymore?
    Die Hard 3 involves Bruce Willis racing all over the city doing challenges left behind by the villain or else he'll detonate bombs he's hidden. It would not take much effort at all to turn that idea into a multipart Riddler storyline.