Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Well, watching with subtitles on vs. without makes for a different viewing experience. Subtitles translate Jor-el's dialogue and tell you Brainiac's identity (not that it isn't obvious for long-time fans). At least subtitles didn't tell you it was Zod (also obvious for long-time fans... or is it?).

A bit to digest right now, but I think it was just ok. My problem with waiting this long before revealing who the General was is that it doesn't really give enough time for Lois and Superman to react to it. Maybe it's just as well.

Love that they're bringing back the rich Jimmy subplot, so I'm happy about that.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 09-01-2023 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Wondering if this and “Nemesis Omega” are meant to be the same entity. Nemesis looked humanoid while this most definitely does not.
    I wonder if this is really only Zod or if it going to be something like Parasite with Ivo and will be something like a fusion of Zod with the Eradicator.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Well, watching with subtitles on vs. without makes for a different viewing experience. Subtitles translate Jor-el's dialogue and tell you Brainiac's identity (not that it isn't obvious for long-time fans). At least subtitles didn't tell you it was Zod (also obvious for long-time fans... or is it?).

A bit to digest right now, but I think it was just ok. My problem with waiting this long before revealing who the General was is that it doesn't really give enough time for Lois and Superman to react to it. Maybe it's just as well.

Love that they're bringing back the rich Jimmy subplot, so I'm happy about that.
    I'm curious about Kryptonite being referred to as a "poison." Is it tied to Krypton blowing up?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious about Kryptonite being referred to as a "poison." Is it tied to Krypton blowing up?
    In Man of Steel the kryptonite was the product of the explosion of Krypton.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

It was a great season.

MAWS doesn't dance around for too long and quickly intoroduced us to the craziest aspects of Superman and DC: Mr Mx and multiverse.

Clois slown burn was removed as well, because they realize it was done so many times it got tiresome and they keep MoS tendecy going with romance blossoming quicker as well as not keeping secret for far too long (I can't deal with another Smallville or TAS situation).

Action was great, animation is cute and good quality, anime-esque style definitely suits Superman. I also like how some of the old tropes like Krypton are now covered with mystery and intrigue. Season 2 is going to be amazing. It was a long time coming for us to have Superman-centric media and I'm all for having more of it. MAWS ain't perfect, but I'm not going to pay too much attention to flaws, positives absolutely overshadow those completely.

F4_dWFrXsAAe3oA.jpg

Looks like Clark played little league, but why is he standing away from the other boys?

F4_dWFvXQAAJ8IL.jpg

Is that a chess trophy? Clark said he was in chess club

F46c_9ZXUAA2Evu.jpg

That's got to be Lana Lang right?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Wondering if this and “Nemesis Omega” are meant to be the same entity. Nemesis looked humanoid while this most definitely does not.
    Okay with the season ending I would say the designs are more miss than hit. Parasite and Myx are definitely the best.

Its not that the designs are overtly changed, its that they come across too much as early 2000's superhero films when characters are only allowed to wear edgy colors like black for "realism".

Like with Brainiac.

The overall design is decent but changing his color scheme from his iconic green and purple to red and black is really generic. He's pretty much unrecognizable without the 3-circle symbol.

All-New Member

The show was deeply unsatisfying for me. A whole 10 episodes and Clark still knows nothing about himself, his heritage, or his powers. The only thing that really developed on a character level was the romance and that was extremely rushed. (These two are already saying they live each other, lol. They've been dating for like a week and have known each other for a couple months at most.) Clark is also a moron, which i dislike. The action was also boring most of the time with hardly any memorable scenes, Sigh... i was hyped for a new Superman show since he's my favorite DC character but this take just isn't for me. Hopefully James Gunn delivers something actually compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by itsxtray View Post
    The show was deeply unsatisfying for me. A whole 10 episodes and Clark still knows nothing about himself, his heritage, or his powers. The only thing that really developed on a character level was the romance and that was extremely rushed. (These two are already saying they live each other, lol. They've been dating for like a week and have known each other for a couple months at most.) Clark is also a moron, which i dislike. The action was also boring most of the time with hardly any memorable scenes, Sigh... i was hyped for a new Superman show since he's my favorite DC character but this take just isn't for me. Hopefully James Gunn delivers something actually compelling.
    Clark's not a moron. Why do you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    It was a great season.

MAWS doesn't dance around for too long and quickly intoroduced us to the craziest aspects of Superman and DC: Mr Mx and multiverse.

Clois slown burn was removed as well, because they realize it was done so many times it got tiresome and they keep MoS tendecy going with romance blossoming quicker as well as not keeping secret for far too long (I can't deal with another Smallville or TAS situation).

Action was great, animation is cute and good quality, anime-esque style definitely suits Superman. I also like how some of the old tropes like Krypton are now covered with mystery and intrigue. Season 2 is going to be amazing. It was a long time coming for us to have Superman-centric media and I'm all for having more of it. MAWS ain't perfect, but I'm not going to pay too much attention to flaws, positives absolutely overshadow those completely.
    I think the action was okay. It was often too short, not so much choreography or dynamism as some other Superman animated fights, and Clark was too on the defensive at times (which I get from a characterization standpoint, but still).
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    F4_dWFrXsAAe3oA.jpg

Looks like Clark played little league, but why is he standing away from the other boys?

F4_dWFvXQAAJ8IL.jpg
    It could be that Clark was part of the team but held himself back so he didn't feel like he was apart of the team like the other players.
    F46c_9ZXUAA2Evu.jpg

That's got to be Lana Lang right?
    Has to be. So I'm guessing she's definitely in season 2. I'm kind of curious how they'd use her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Okay with the season ending I would say the designs are more miss than hit. Parasite and Myx are definitely the best.

Its not that the designs are overtly changed, its that they come across too much as early 2000's superhero films when characters are only allowed to wear edgy colors like black for "realism".

Like with Brainiac.

The overall design is decent but changing his color scheme from his iconic green and purple to red and black is really generic. He's pretty much unrecognizable without the 3-circle symbol.
    It's funny that the two best villains outside the General, Parasite and Mxy, probably are the only ones whose redesigns actually worked and stood out compared to the rest.

I don't see anyone coming out of this show thinking these are the best Livewire, Silver Banshee, or Deathstroke designs.

Brainiac looks more like a mini-boss than a Big Bad, or even Brainiac.

If that was indeed Lana, then we gotta joke about the meme. You know, the one that also affected Jimmy.

It's got to be intentional at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

Yeah I didn’t see the benefit to dragging it out for so long either, but I guess the reasoning is that despite it being split into two “seasons” it’s really one big story. What we got was just the middle point. Next season will still have Sam Lane in the mix, plus Brainiac and Lara. I expect there will be plenty of parental drama in S2 between Clark and his “mom” and Lois and her dad.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Thoughts on the #MyAdventuresWithSuperman #MAWS s1e10 "Hearts Of The Fathers". Spoilers follow ...

1. We've made it to the end of the first season of MAWS.

Going to talk about this episode and the Season as a whole here. Suffice to say, big fan of both. Will also speculate about Season 2 a bit here.

2. It's Thanksgiving at the Kent Farm ... and guess who's coming to dinner?

This might be record time for Lois meeting Martha and Jonathan with the Secret already known between the three of them. MAWS is making it clear that Clois is their OTP from the start. No room for any challengers here, which is both good and bad (more later).

3. Absolutely record time for Sam Lane to meet Martha and Jonathan and Clark (in his human guise).

Speaking of which: with that grilling Sam gave Clark about looking familiar, MAWS is making my point that no one who spends any significant time with this Kal in both his Clark and Superman personas is going to remain fooled by the paper-thin disguise for long.

4. I like my robots and mech armor to have visible faces or at least give facial expressions.

Just a personal preference, but I get the idea is to keep the Kryptonian robots (and armored beings) as inhuman-looking as possible, but after a while it becomes hard to remember who is who without a face.

5. So the presence of that little sliver of Kryptonite triggered the (what I presume is the future Fortress of Solitude) alien ship into activating its hailing beacon to the much bigger Kryptonian flagship ... which brings up a lot of questions, mainly: what kind of Kryptonians are these?

6. Major props to MAWS' creators for actually developing a real Kryptonese language and not having the Jor-El A.I. already knowing how to speak English.

According to a recent interview that supermanhomepage.com did with MAWS showrunner Josephine Campbell, their Kryptonese is mainly Esperanto mixed with a bunch of other languages like Spanish and Korean and others.

I hope this gets adopted across all Super media and we one day get fans at conventions speaking Kryptonese as well as they do Klingon or Dothraki.

7. About that ending: I watched with CC on, and it confirmed the first being was a rather servile-sounding Brainiac speaking to its master Zod.

I don't know how I feel about that, if true. I'm really tired of Zod in general, and I really want Brainiac to get an awesome showcase as a top-tier supervillain on this show. Also, not crazy about these designs (especially the lack of faces on both of them ... but that can change in the future).

8. Jimmy Olsen, millionaire.

I'll say it right now: MAWS Jimmy is already the �� onscreen Jimmy Olsen, and has a real great shot to be the best version of the character in ANY medium, including print.

He knew the secret before he was told the secret. He is the most genuine edition of Superman's Pal I've ever seen. Glad he's getting paid for his Flamebird app.

9. I hope Jor-El speaking English at the end of the episode as he saves his son's life means that Clark will learn the full truth about his origin very soon, or at least lose the notion that his father wanted him to be a weapon.

10. First Hopes for Season 2: more confidence for Clark, more success for Lois, more focus on Jimmy, more of the Super Rogues (top of the list: MAWS versions of Lady Blaze, Maxima, Metallo, Bizarro, Mongul, Manchester Black, Nuclear Man), more of the SuperFam (top of the list: John Henry Irons, Lana Lang, Krypto).

Bonus: I'm afraid Alex is still going to turn into MAWS Lex Luthor sometime next season. But now I have faith this show will do it in a compelling fashion.

Bottom Line: I love this show. It's a fountain of youth for an 85-year-old character and makes him more relevant to lots of people who otherwise weren't fans before. Lots of setup this season now gotten out of the way, I really look forward to what they can do with season 2.

Grade of Enjoyment (episode 10): 8.5 / 10

Grade of Enjoyment (season): 8.5 / 10

It's funny how they got all worked up about a Kryptonian invasion when in reality it was spoilers:
    robots and AI the whole time.
    end of spoilers

I know Superman/Batman: Apocalypse had it's own Kryptonian language that I think they based around Spanish. I think the Arrowverse did too but I don't think we really saw a lot of characters just speak in Kryptonian.

One of the concept artists for the show. Also:

https://x.com/jakewyattriot/status/1...487sLx_4UoiJsQ

The cast and crew of My Adventures with Superman did exceptional work in singularly difficult conditions. The pandemic, the merger, the flurry of cancellations. The waiting to be cancelled. They gave it their, all not knowing whether their efforts would even make it onto a screen

I'm so grateful that the show found an unexpected home on Adult Swim, that the cast and crew got to see their hard work released, and that the show's audience has been so generous and enthusiastic in their support of that work. The Superman crew deserve every honor and happiness.
    It’s a freaking miracle this show even came out at all. I don’t have any hope of more seasons after seeing this, we’ll get to see them finish their story with S2 and that will be all. Maybe Gunn will greenlight a DCU Superman cartoon since let’s be real, Gunn doing Superman is the definition of “one for them” and I can’t see him prioritizing more Superman movies over focusing on the C-Listers if Legacy is a success and enables him to do his DCU. But he’ll need to keep using Superman to keep Zaslav happy so maybe he’ll do a cartoon to check that box. If nothing else I hope this show’s approach to Clark affects how people use him going forward, this show has the best take on Superman’s personality.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/