Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Yeah, I'm one of those negative Nellies...

In my defense, it's usually easier to go into great detail about a negative than a positive. I think most people here go in hoping for the best, so when it's good you can just say "Loved it," but if it doesn't hit you kind of feel compelled to explain why. Anyway, for the most part, I'm pretty happy with the show. I'm not in the business of hate-watching.

EDIT: So to further explain a subtle thing I think the show does well, I think the action was generally well storyboarded. Back in the stone ages, if you needed Superman to take a fall, he'd just stand there and wait for impact. It feels like Superman has an adaptive style to his fights, and when he does take a bruising hit, it's generally unavoidable. In this specific episode, he intentionally took the hit for Mxy (protecting the bad guy, even). Superman's intentionality in his fight tactics feels present.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 08-13-2023 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yeah, I'm one of those negative Nellies...

In my defense, it's usually easier to go into great detail about a negative than a positive. I think most people here go in hoping for the best, so when it's good you can just say "Loved it," but if it doesn't hit you kind of feel compelled to explain why. Anyway, for the most part, I'm pretty happy with the show. I'm not in the business of hate-watching.

EDIT: So to further explain a subtle thing I think the show does well, I think the action was generally well storyboarded. Back in the stone ages, if you needed Superman to take a fall, he'd just stand there and wait for impact. It feels like Superman has an adaptive style to his fights, and when he does take a bruising hit, it's generally unavoidable. In this specific episode, he intentionally took the hit for Mxy (protecting the bad guy, even). Superman's intentionality in his fight tactics feels present.
    I think the action is solid but I haven't really been "wowed" yet.

I feel like part of what's holding Superman back in fight scenes is he's intentionally holding himself back because he's not out to really fight/harm anyone, even his villains, so that makes it easier for him to come off more passive during the fight or get overwhelmed.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

mxy's voice actor is awesome.The rule book clinging characterisation hits home when lois says this about clark "superman would never do steal".But, that's the take they are going for so not complaining.Mxy being chaos god was wierd for me. I thought he was just imp from 5th.Anyways,but the sinister chaos kinda balance Clark's "awww!shucks nature".Loved the way they introduced kryptonite.Lois is starting to question. a more cynical lois is on the card i think

It doesn't matter if superman is holding back or one punch man's it.The "fight" is a dance.If it doesn't look good,if doesn't move you.if it doesn't produce the emotions the story intends to elicit and progess the story it doesn't work.Then again i watched this after i saw luffy "tom and jerry" kaido.So this feeling like less than nothing is to expected.So Fights are still sub par.This the third episode i watched because i was interested in mxy.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-14-2023 at 09:18 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the action is solid but I haven't really been "wowed" yet.

I feel like part of what's holding Superman back in fight scenes is he's intentionally holding himself back because he's not out to really fight/harm anyone, even his villains, so that makes it easier for him to come off more passive during the fight or get overwhelmed.
    I wonder if a show like this has the resources to make a really fantastic fight scenes that are up to par with action animation from around the world.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I wonder if a show like this has the resources to make a really fantastic fight scenes that are up to par with action animation from around the world.
    If they can pull off something on par with Wakfu, I'd be impressed.

Also the holding back part is valid. There were civilians in the cell with him with the Parasite fight and he only used one serious attack on Slade when he needed to leave to save the highway.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

With Superman's fights there is always an excuse, that if he is a rookie, that if he contains himself. Superman's combats are boring and not only those of Superman, in comics the most boring are the combats, very basic, they waste the powers of the characters and their visual aspect. there is better combat in series like Shin Chan, than in almost any series/comic of Superheroes.

Extraordinary Member

This show has to be the best modern animated update of Superman I've ever seen. It's thoroughly modern while at the same time fully entrenched in the Superman mythos.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mxy referencing previous animated supermen hits different when you remember that every mxy is actually the same mxy. This is the same guy who trolled STAS Clark. IMG_1207.jpg
    and also really dark if this is all the same guy as the one from whatever happened to the man of tomorrow

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    With Superman's fights there is always an excuse, that if he is a rookie, that if he contains himself. Superman's combats are boring and not only those of Superman, in comics the most boring are the combats, very basic, they waste the powers of the characters and their visual aspect. there is better combat in series like Shin Chan, than in almost any series/comic of Superheroes.
    So you've never seen a Superman anything before then.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Mxy referencing previous animated supermen hits different when you remember that every mxy is actually the same mxy. This is the same guy who trolled STAS Clark. IMG_1207.jpg
    and also really dark if this is all the same guy as the one from whatever happened to the man of tomorrow
    I feel like this take is a little too independent to be the same one from other continuities. Maybe this is the one Mxy variant.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    I don't think it's something inherent to Superman, the animated movies had great Superman fights.

I feel like this take is a little too independent to be the same one from other continuities. Maybe this is the one Mxy variant.
    i think mxy likes changing his personality when screwing with different supermans. In that image i posted he explains that he was only pretending to be a dumbass goof when dealing with the dcau superman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it's something inherent to Superman, the animated movies had great Superman fights.
    I mean,this is a fifth dimensional imp.They could have done better than teleportation and shadow clone jutsu.And it lasted like 2 secs.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I mean,this is a fifth dimensional imp.They could have done better than teleportation and shadow clone jutsu.And it lasted like 2 secs.
    And he had lasers .

BANNED

99% of Superman's fights are with a clean fist, very rarely do you see him use all his powers in a fight and when he uses them there is zero imagination, in the comics he is a little better, but nothing special.