Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/my-adventures-wi...character-use/

Apparently they were asked to not use Luthor, Brainiac or Zod as those characters are expected (lol for the ending).

This leads to a question, has Zod ever been in an animated series?
    I not sure pre DCAU, but the only animated series I've seen General Zod in are Justice League Action and Young Justice: Phantoms

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    I not sure pre DCAU, but the only animated series I've seen General Zod in are Justice League Action and Young Justice: Phantoms
    Ah, I'd forgotten him in YJ! I never got around to JL Action.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Ah, I'd forgotten him in YJ! I never got around to JL Action.
    You should! It's awesome .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You should! It's awesome .
    It looked a bit too young age oriented for me but not in a fun Teen Titans Go or Batman Brave and the Bold way, just kind of simple and bland.

I have it all so really should give it a shot at some point.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

It looked a bit too young age oriented for me but not in a fun Teen Titans Go or Batman Brave and the Bold way, just kind of simple and bland.

It's much more like Brave and the Bold than TTG!.

Astonishing Member

Zod also appears in the Ruby Spears Superman show, though no remembers that. Jax-Ur on Superman TAS was just Zod with a different name.

But in general Zod is overused, he is one of two to three Superman villains who appeared on the Silver screen and he was a major villain in the Flash movie. But I think focusing on different villains was smart.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Apparently they were asked to not use Luthor, Brainiac or Zod as those characters are expected (lol for the ending).

Zod was in DC Superhero Girls in full Superman 2 outfit with Non and Ursa appearing.

Ursa looked weird in that one because she was given this was garish design with bright blue hair, green eyeshadow, and purple lipstick which looked off as she's still wearing the Superman 2 outfit.

Hah too bad they didn’t hit Legacy with a Lex embargo . Lex is really the only one I think needed to be put on pause. Using the other two is fine, and I’m glad Brainiac is seemingly the Big Bad for next season. Wouldn’t even mind Zod showing up since he’s in the weird position of being left out of STAS. I wouldn’t mind seeing their approach to Zod, but maybe he’d be redundant given what they’re doing with Lara.

Irritated the **** out of me to see dipshits asking for Batman. Seriously **** off, he’s getting his own goddamn show and the last thing I want right now is him stealing the spotlight. Shows how poisoned the minds of the public have been, it’s seemingly impossible for people to imagine a show where Batman doesn’t show up. At least they’re showing restraint for now outside of mentions, but I’d sooner take WW showing up over Bats. There’s so many corners of Superman’s world to touch on first.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-05-2023 at 05:10 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

They still managed to fit in "Alex" but the jury's out on whether he's actually Lex or not and that might not even be confirmed in season 2.

Also, yeah, I think the way they're handling AI Lara and fooling people into thinking it's Zod tells me that we're probably not going to get Zod for one reason or another.

I wonder if Brainaic is the actual Big Bad considering how he seems subservient to the Lara AI, unless that's by his own design. I just wish they'd come up with a better look for him.

Also I think it's a good idea that they wanted to go with smaller-scale, lesser known Rogues, but they ended up making them so unmemorable and in-name-only most of the time that it felt like it worked against them on that front. The only memorable villains were really Parasite and Mxy.

I do find it funny how she's a Deathstroke fan considering how little Slade actually did in this season and how little Slade actually acted like Slade.

I do see the argument about the reuse of Luthor and Zod, especially in film, but I feel there's something to be said for familiarity to a casual audience.

Joker is in every Batman adaptation because he's Batman's biggest enemy. It makes him a draw, which in turn makes the hero more of a draw. The same can likely be said for Penguin and Catwoman, people want to see those characters.

Superman needs all he can get in becoming more popular with a casual audience. Using villains they know, and making people want to see those villains almost as much as the hero, can only help.

We just saw Zod murder a world, repeatedly (in a pretty terrible movie that bombed, but still). That does help reinforce how great Superman is as we saw that he would have stopped it (which is awkward as MoS was a decade ago).

Sure, to the likes of us it's irritating to never get Prankster or Metallo or Parasite (my preference for Legacy's villain), but I do feel Luthor should be present in some capacity.

I absolutely believe this is WB's thinking, anyway.

The MCU has, for the most part, gotten away with a revolving door of underdeveloped, bland and forgettable villains, which does make the few decent ones stand out, so it proves you don't need to go that route. However, Loki just launched season 2 and Thanos is seen as a gold standard for comic movie villains so that somewhat disproves the point.

But in any case, reusing Luthor/Zod before moving on does depends on DC actually releasing several decent Superman movies in a row, so...

That said, it is insane that we've never had a Brainiac movie. Although, as that would most likely have been Superman III or Returns maybe it's just as well we didn't. Lol.

I liked that MAWS had Parasite be a main physical antagonist, but I saw Waller/Lane as effectively Luthor stand-ins and everything was still backed up by the Kryptonian stuff which is making everyone expect Zod (and we seemingly got him and Brainiac by the end).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Irritated the **** out of me to see dipshits asking for Batman.
    Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of everything needing to crossover and be directly related. It's also frustrating that Superman creatives would feel the need to bring in Batman, where I'd put money down that it rarely happens the other way around.

I adore The Batman. Would that have in any way have been improved by Superman showing up? Nope, it would have been a distraction.

Was anything of value really added by Bruce Wayne's involvement as a framing device in Wonder Woman? Nope, I found in unnecessary.

As much as I love both, Superman doesn't need Batman to succeed and vice versa.
    Last edited by exile001; 10-06-2023 at 03:00 AM.

I don't get the complaints about Zod being overused.

Before Man of Steel, Zod's last film appearance was in Superman II, which was 1980. He also didn't appear in the DCAU or the Lois & Clark show, where Jax-Ur and Nor respectively where used as stand-ins for him. The 9th season of Smallville was the first live-action appearance of Zod in 29 years.

Zod isn't overused. Braniac actually has more media appearances than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They still managed to fit in "Alex" but the jury's out on whether he's actually Lex or not and that might not even be confirmed in season 2.

Also, yeah, I think the way they're handling AI Lara and fooling people into thinking it's Zod tells me that we're probably not going to get Zod for one reason or another.

I wonder if Brainaic is the actual Big Bad considering how he seems subservient to the Lara AI, unless that's by his own design. I just wish they'd come up with a better look for him.

Also I think it's a good idea that they wanted to go with smaller-scale, lesser known Rogues, but they ended up making them so unmemorable and in-name-only most of the time that it felt like it worked against them on that front. The only memorable villains were really Parasite and Mxy.

I do find it funny how she's a Deathstroke fan considering how little Slade actually did in this season and how little Slade actually acted like Slade.
    Remind me if "Alex" was a douchey admin assistant.

Because the last thing I want to see is a d-bag Lex. Lex is a lot of things bad, but d-bag is not one of those.

Was anything of value really added by Bruce Wayne's involvement as a framing device in Wonder Woman? Nope, I found in unnecessary.
    Felt like a DCAU-inspired add-on, unfortunately. Frame WW through Batman...

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Remind me if "Alex" was a douchey admin assistant.

Because the last thing I want to see is a d-bag Lex. Lex is a lot of things bad, but d-bag is not one of those.
    Yeah, I feel you, but his later appearance had a lot of Luthor vibes.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I've shown MAWS to two different classes of elementary-aged kids and it went over great with both. This show's definitely got legs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Rumors are rumors, I will wait for something more substantial to come out. I think through out the 2010s both Marvel and DC didn't produce much animated conduct of quality that really caught on.
    Huh? DC Animation has been superior in the 2010s starting with the Under The Red Hood movie, then Green Lantern: First Flight, Beware the Batman, the returning seasons of Young Justice, and of course, Justice League Action which Cartoon Network refused to give a chance. Harley Quinn had an excellent start in 2019. There were other great films too like Judas Contract, Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, Reign of the Supermen etc. Even something like DC Super Hero Girls was incredibly successful in what it set out to do.

There's no competition with Marvel Animation which pulled the plug on EMH and then didn't put out anything noteworthy throughout the decade.