Page 39 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

I recently rewatched the Fishman Island and Punk Hazard arc, and it is an abomination. Fucking horrible, dragged out glacial pacing and stilted animation with flat art and dull colors. It is genuine slog to watch, and far, far worse than this show in every regard.

I have compared this show with invincible.Same with avatar the last Airbender or korra for the matter in my first post.I have compared it to something classic like max fliescher cartoons and heck! I would love something like samurai jack with superman

One piece still has the pacing nothing in that regard has changed in wano.So i don't understand how you make an exception for that arc.One piece anime is closer to manga.Author himself is doing things in his own pace.Toei would likely put out faster pacing based on material like the movies later on.

I have given the show 3 epi.this show ain't for me.That's all fine .And for the record objectivity is not glocing over short comings.Nor would it improve the product(not that me saying anything means anything).Problems with one piece anime well documented and i never denied anything.They even have fan edited one pace.Can you honestly tell me that a squable with fifth dimensional imp with a man of tomorrow being restricted to portals and cloning ability is objectively good?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-20-2023 at 11:56 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He thinks Superman is putting on a fake front of being a hero in order to catch Earth off guard. It makes sense that he would seek to take advantage of that by putting someone in danger in order to lure Superman in. Either way it’s a win: Superman has to help to keep up appearances, or he drops the act and provides the General more ammo to smear him as a threat.
    Does he need more ammo? Seems like he's got free rein to do whatever he pleases. Maybe I missed some dialogue where he needed to convince someone to get more resources his way.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I have compared this show with invincible.Same with avatar the last Airbender or korra for the matter in my first post.I have compared it to something classic like max fliescher cartoons and heck! I would love something like samurai jack with superman

One piece still has the pacing nothing in that regard has changed in wano.So i don't understand how you make an exception for that arc.One piece anime is closer to manga.Author himself is doing things in his own pace.Toei would likely put out faster pacing based on material like the movies later on.

this show ain't for me.That's all fine .And for the record objectivity is not glocing over short comings.Nor would it improve the product(not that me saying anything means anything).Problems with one piece anime well documented and i never denied anything.They even have fan edited one pace.Can you honestly tell me that a squable with fifth dimensional imp with a man of tomorrow being restricted to portals and cloning ability is objectively good?
    Judging by the execution, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Does he need more ammo? Seems like he's got free rein to do whatever he pleases. Maybe I missed some dialogue where he needed to convince someone to get more resources his way.
    There's a reason everything he's done has been clandestine.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-20-2023 at 11:13 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Judging by the execution, yes.
    Well,why can't i seem to get intrigued?i am farely average person of the demographics 20-30 male who likes things that average people seem to like.Nothing special in regards to tastes.If you say it's objectively good then the chances of me liking it should be very high.Yet,i found it boring.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-21-2023 at 12:19 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I don't really get why Lois and Jimmy didn't bring that up. They were literally there.
    I doubt Vicki would have entertained them. She knew what she wanted, found it in Alex and got her promotion and paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I doubt Vicki would have entertained them. She knew what she wanted, found it in Alex and got her promotion and paycheck.
    Also, run-time restrictions.

Especially for this Clark where he's only just become Superman and the identity, up to this point, wasn't as much a priority for him compared to being Clark.
    I feel like this Clark helped out when he saw something, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who dedicated large chunks of his life and time to the job. Probably a lot like you or me. If I see a driver on the side of the road with the hood up or the jack out, I stop. I give cash to the homeless when I pass them on the street, if I have cash on me. But I don't go out of my way looking for that stuff either (occasional volunteer work here or there aside). I bet this Clark was something like that, and I bet the lack of super senses is a big reason why.

And regarding the intelligence debate some folks been having....this Clark doesn't strike me as unintelligent so much as distracted. He seems kind of like a puppy; he's bouncing around a lot, jumping from one thing to another without a lot of forethought. But when he does focus and pay attention? He's got solid plans. He tricks the bad guys. He seems to be at least above average in brains, but he doesn't often apply it, and when he does it's stuff like a hyper detailed plan for a date. I think he's got less emotional intelligence than the typical Superman but he's maybe not as dumb as he acts. Part of that is being young, but it also seems to be part of the anime archetypes they're playing with too.

They're already basically treating him like an official photographer.
    I guess? I have no idea how the journalism industry works.

And he was still able to fight off all of them except Parasite in the end.
    Damn straight.

Oh hey, back in the early episodes at one point....I dunno, Clark took off flying or something, and I swear he left a crop circle impression behind him. Like DCEU Snyder's floating rocks but way cooler. Was I imagining that? Because crop circles and Superman feels like one of those things that nobody's ever done (far as I'm aware anyway), but once it's pointed out to you it's so stupid obvious you don't get how it's never crossed your mind before.

Yeah, I don't really get why Lois and Jimmy didn't bring that up. They were literally there.
    Maybe it's one of those things where you think of the perfect comeback two hours later?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I get that, but it would've made sense for them to at least try to mention it instead of saying "But...but Superman can't be bad!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I feel like this Clark helped out when he saw something, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who dedicated large chunks of his life and time to the job. Probably a lot like you or me. If I see a driver on the side of the road with the hood up or the jack out, I stop. I give cash to the homeless when I pass them on the street, if I have cash on me. But I don't go out of my way looking for that stuff either (occasional volunteer work here or there aside). I bet this Clark was something like that, and I bet the lack of super senses is a big reason why.

And regarding the intelligence debate some folks been having....this Clark doesn't strike me as unintelligent so much as distracted. He seems kind of like a puppy; he's bouncing around a lot, jumping from one thing to another without a lot of forethought. But when he does focus and pay attention? He's got solid plans. He tricks the bad guys. He seems to be at least above average in brains, but he doesn't often apply it, and when he does it's stuff like a hyper detailed plan for a date. I think he's got less emotional intelligence than the typical Superman but he's maybe not as dumb as he acts. Part of that is being young, but it also seems to be part of the anime archetypes they're playing with too.
    I think it's important to keep in mind that this is a Clark who, while having a good heart, basically avoided dealing with his background or focusing on his powers until relatively recently. Unlike most Superman's he didn't head to Metropolis to be a Superhero or train for it, it basically just happened and he's kind of winging it.

We're basically seeing him become Superman while also being Superman, kind of like The Blur period in Smallville.

Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 6.54.17 PM.jpg

So, Vicki Vale looking like an old Lois design is intentional.

I get that, but it would've made sense for them to at least try to mention it instead of saying "But...but Superman can't be bad!!!"
    Lois did exclaim that Alex was a biased source, something Vicki seemed to be aware of but dismissed anyway, saying Lois's sources were also biased. So I'm assuming Lois and Jimmy had given Vicki the context before her interview with Alex but she ignored them because it didn't fit the narrative she wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 6.54.17 PM.jpg

So, Vicki Vale looking like an old Lois design is intentional.
    The (non-colored) character design sheets had a note saying they had planned her to be of Indian origin but probably scrapped the idea considering the optics of how scummy and ruthless the only Indian-American character on the show would turn out to be.

I'm guessing they finally decided on making her East Asian like Lois, considering Vicki's VA is also of East Asian heritage?

Lois did exclaim that Alex was a biased source, something Vicki seemed to be aware of but dismissed anyway, saying Lois's sources were also biased. So I'm assuming Lois and Jimmy had given Vicki the context before her interview with Alex but she ignored them because it didn't fit the narrative she wanted.

The (non-colored) character design sheets had a note saying they had planned her to be of Indian origin but probably scrapped the idea considering the optics of how scummy and ruthless the only Indian-American character on the show would turn out to be.

I'm guessing they finally decided on making her East Asian like Lois, considering Vicki's VA is also of East Asian heritage?
    Looking up Andromeda Dunker, it would seem she is of East Asian descent but I don't have the best eye for these things. I do know Gotham had a character called Valerie Vale who was the aunt of Vicki in that universe and was played by Jamie Chung. So there is already precedent for an Asian Vicki.

I've actually seen people compare Vicki's design to Diana Prince.

Mighty Member

Superman is now the DC version of a mutant. Feared and hated

I've actually seen people compare Vicki's design to Diana Prince.
    That's what I thought, down to her height (she was typically the tallest person in a scene).

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

We're four episodes in with the kids and My Adventures with Superman is most definitely a hit with them and my appreciation for the show has only grown now that I'm no longer expecting it to be what I wanted it to be, instead of what it is.