Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno why Slade would pick these three up, even with their tech they were pretty dumb. Livewire was much more convincing as a threat.
    In fairness the Squad never was picky.

And if anything their stupidity makes them far easier to control. They are the perfect pawns.

Mighty Member

Loved the way the heat vision was introduced.

Good, wholesome episode. To me, the character designs are the most disappointing aspect, but not enough for me not to enjoy. Looking forward to next week.

Mighty Member

Being 3 episodes in, I don’t mind all the villains being tech based (for NOW) as we are still on starter Superman mode. I do expect midway through the season a couple of their technologies will malfunction and impose themselves as natural abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Being 3 episodes in, I don’t mind all the villains being tech based (for NOW) as we are still on starter Superman mode. I do expect midway through the season a couple of their technologies will malfunction and impose themselves as natural abilities.
    I just wonder if they could've just picked villains where the tech aspect would've made more sense than, say, Livewire or Silver Banshee.

I just wonder if they could've just picked villains where the tech aspect would've made more sense than, say, Livewire or Silver Banshee.
    Not picking Bloodsport instead of Deathstroke is baffling considering Bloodsport’s whole deal is using tech, but perhaps this show was too far into dev when Gunn’s TSS reboot got announced for them to add him in. I want to see him in S2 however, especially if Lex is involved next season.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not picking Bloodsport instead of Deathstroke is baffling considering Bloodsport’s whole deal is using tech, but perhaps this show was too far into dev when Gunn’s TSS reboot got announced for them to add him in. I want to see him in S2 however, especially if Lex is involved next season.
    Well, with Slade I guess they want to show the transition into him becoming Deathstroke and (I assume) losing his eye, even if he feels out of place in a Superman show.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Wait is this supposed to be Amazo or Parasite?

I remember the episode solicits saying Amazo is appearing in the Ivo episode. Or was I remembering wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Wait is this supposed to be Amazo or Parasite?

I remember the episode solicits saying Amazo is appearing in the Ivo episode. Or was I remembering wrong?

I guess Parasite and Amazo are kind of similar at least as far as absorbing powers go.

Well, with Slade I guess they want to show the transition into him becoming Deathstroke and (I assume) losing his eye, even if he feels out of place in a Superman show.
    Seeing Deathstroke as a villain in anything outside of a Teen titans comic feels out of place tbh. But that didn’t stop Batman from stealing him. And Arrow. So I suppose it’s only fair that Superman gets a turn.

Astonishing Member

Deathstroke works well against Batman and Green Arrow because he's their perfect antipode. On the one hand, he is just like them, a well-trained, skilled fighter and the strong tactician, who poses both a physical and intellectual threat. On the other hand, he is a cold-blooded killer, unlike them. That's why writers like to use him against them.
    But it doesn't apply to Superman, I don't really think there's something interesting about their rivalry.

There could be, you can really work a rivalry out of any combination of characters, it’s only a matter of writing it. Just get a Spider-Man and Kraven style dynamic going between them. Slade is pissed because he’s supposed to be master assassin and Superman is the only target he can’t hit. The ultimate test of his skill; his white whale.

https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/07/11/m...th-superheroes
    The super-villains in this series have interesting origins because they use technology as part of their iconic power sets. I was curious if that was part of making the story feel more grounded, or if you had another reason for changing up their origin stories?

JW: A bit of that, and then a bit of Superman is such an ancient property that when it came out superhero stuff wasn't a genre. It was a science fiction story that ended up giving birth to this whole other genre. And so, from the top we decided that there are no weather wizards. There's no magic. This is a science fiction action story with romance. No magic was a big rule.

Like Josie mentioned, a bunch of the anime that we liked was part of the stuff that inspired it. We wanted it to feel sci-fi, and particularly anime sci-fi.

JC: I remember Brendan in the writer's room talked a lot about [the novel] The Three-Body Problem. We talked about a lot of science fiction that Brendan, especially, could name-check with the drop of a hat.

Brendan Clogher: I'm a big fan of old and modern science fiction novels. A lot of it is just our desire to bring the things we love into the show.
    Bit disappointing but so be it. This show’s take on the villains probably won’t be my favorite, although I think Brainiac might be an outlier there since he’s already tech based. Still, there’s ways to do a more traditional take on Banshee’s powers, tying her to the Phantom Zone is my preference.
    With the title My Adventures with Superman, I initially assumed it referred to Lois. But now that I've seen a few episodes, I get the feeling it could apply to Lois, Jimmy or even Clark. Was that your intention?

JW: We can't take credit for that title. (laughs) The executives came up with that. I think we made jokes about it, like, Boku no Adventures with Superman!

JC: No Need for Clark: My Adventures with Superman! But then once it got out there, people really loved the title. Because you hit it. It is adventures with Superman, and that equally applies to Lois, Jimmy and weirdly, Clark. He is having a bit of an existential crisis throughout this.

JW: It really differentiated the show from almost every other iteration. It made it very personal and character driven, which is what we were always trying to make the show about. It was a title that we first thought was kind of goofy and it really grew on us. And like you said, it does kind of embrace the multifaceted POV of the show.
    Lol so they didn’t want that title at first! Puts the complaints about the title in a funny light. I think their original name was slightly better (Up, Up, and Away!) but I would’ve gone with “Last Son of Krypton” myself given the focus on Kryptonin tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    There could be, you can really work a rivalry out of any combination of characters, it’s only a matter of writing it. Just get a Spider-Man and Kraven style dynamic going between them. Slade is pissed because he’s supposed to be master assassin and Superman is the only target he can’t hit. The ultimate test of his skill; his white whale.
    See I’d rather use that kind of dynamic for Bloodsport or Lobo, two other bounty hunter villains Supes already tangled with. How he’s being used here is honestly fine with me, he’s just a stooge for Waller and Sam Lane.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/