Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Most modern superhero shows have been getting away from the "girlfriend doesn't know their secret identity" thing and I agree its a good trend. These narratives get old fast and just makes their partner look stupid.

Ironically, the director of this show did She-Ra and that show had a long drawn out romance that wasn't resolved until the last season.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    While I’d prefer to move away from the Evil Superman schtick myself, as Opaque pointed out this is the first Gen Z Superman. What has Gen Z grown up with in regards to Supes? The DCAU, the Snyderverse, and Injustice. All revolving around evil Supermen, and we have that crappy looking Suicide Squad game coming too. S&L and MAWS are at least tackling the fact that we’ve seen so many Supermen go bad by going “here’s how real Superman is different from those guys, he doesn’t break.” It’s a good counterbalance to garbage like Injustice and the DCEU trying to sell a broken Superman as the “default”.
    I get it, I just feel like we've mined as much as we can from the concept and I don't really see the need to even acknowledge it here.
    Yeah we desperately need a Jimmy episode that focuses on him and Clark being bros. I want to see how they met in college!
    We're still due a Jimmy transformation episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    This is the most instantly, mutually in love version of Clark and Lois I think I've ever seen, and I love it! No beating around the bush, let's get straight to it. And I believe this is the first Superman series since Lois & Clark that seems to be driven mostly by their romance and I love that too. They're adorable on this.

I love this show
    Superman and Lois?

Episode had a lot of ups and downs for me. The express lane for the relationship probably has something to do with the short season and no guarantee for season 2, so I'll just live with that. I don't like Mxy's design. I'm all for oneupmanship when it comes to copycats; it's one of the reasons why I love everything Capcom's done with Dan Hibiki. The best I can say about Mxy is that DBZ took a lot of inspiration from Superman, so it's only fair that Superman take some designs from DBZ and anime in general, but for some reason a lot of that is falling flat with me. A few plot holes here and there, too. There was some good stuff in this episode, though, and I still have optimism for this series.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Episode had a lot of ups and downs for me. The express lane for the relationship probably has something to do with the short season and no guarantee for season 2, so I'll just live with that. I don't like Mxy's design. I'm all for oneupmanship when it comes to copycats; it's one of the reasons why I love everything Capcom's done with Dan Hibiki. The best I can say about Mxy is that DBZ took a lot of inspiration from Superman, so it's only fair that Superman take some designs from DBZ and anime in general, but for some reason a lot of that is falling flat with me. A few plot holes here and there, too. There was some good stuff in this episode, though, and I still have optimism for this series.

Tend to think goku is better of taking less inspiration from superman and more from the monkey king,werewolves..etc.There is the legend a dragon ball tale episode which was fire because it tapped into the horror absolute carnage.Broly get his hand cut off.I know toriyama likes to parody superman.But,it just doesn't good for the story at large.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-12-2023 at 01:49 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

BANNED

Honestly, this series is getting tired of me, in each episode Superman is more and more useless, now they add a mental retardation (Mxy clearly calls him stupid and the final plan is Lois's) and of course the Kryptonite, I would understand it if we were talking about a Unstoppable Superman and a weakness is needed to give emotion to the story, but this Superman would lose against his shadow, a weakness is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Most modern superhero shows have been getting away from the "girlfriend doesn't know their secret identity" thing and I agree its a good trend. These narratives get old fast and just makes their partner look stupid.

Ironically, the director of this show did She-Ra and that show had a long drawn out romance that wasn't resolved until the last season.
    They make the heroes look like assholes more than they make the girlfriend look stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    While I’d prefer to move away from the Evil Superman schtick myself, as Opaque pointed out this is the first Gen Z Superman. What has Gen Z grown up with in regards to Supes? The DCAU, the Snyderverse, and Injustice. All revolving around evil Supermen, and we have that crappy looking Suicide Squad game coming too. S&L and MAWS are at least tackling the fact that we’ve seen so many Supermen go bad by going “here’s how real Superman is different from those guys, he doesn’t break.” It’s a good counterbalance to garbage like Injustice and the DCEU trying to sell a broken Superman as the “default”.

Yeah we desperately need a Jimmy episode that focuses on him and Clark being bros. I want to see how they met in college!
    Injustice is the only one of these three to "revolve" around an evil Superman. The other two featured and contrasted it to a good Superman who got far more screen time like this show is doing what.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Honestly, this series is getting tired of me, in each episode Superman is more and more useless, now they add a mental retardation (Mxy clearly calls him stupid and the final plan is Lois's) and of course the Kryptonite, I would understand it if we were talking about a Unstoppable Superman and a weakness is needed to give emotion to the story, but this Superman would lose against his shadow, a weakness is not necessary.
    ....What?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-12-2023 at 06:40 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post

I would like the trend more if the girlfriend didn't look like an *******. They instantly become unlikable once they learn the secret. Depending on the series it may take a while for that goodwill (if they had it at all) to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Honestly I feel like Superman is the most underwhelming aspect of the show.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They make the heroes look like assholes more than they make the girlfriend look stupid.

Injustice is the only one of these three to "revolve" around an evil Superman. The other two featured and contrasted it to a good Superman who got far more screen time like this show is doing what.

....What?
    Well, technically,
    Injustice Superman was also taken down by a Good Superman from another universe, that's the plot of the game.
    I'd say what's fueling evil Superman trope is Lex Luthor's Amazon Prime, with The Boys and Invincible being so popular.

The latest episode tricked me. I thought initially the league of Lois's was Mxy's way of playing with Lois and Jimmy while playing with Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Superman is the only hero who is an undeveloped extra in his own series.

The villains are the most underwhelming aspect of the show, Superman and Lois are the best part.

When i read the Mxyzptlk at the description of the episode i got scared they would make him just a cientist with some tech bullshit, but i got suprised with what we got. Didn't like that he looked like a Thundercat from the 2011 series, tho.

Also don't really like that the Murderman concept is being brought up, but since this is not this type of story i can live with it.
    Last edited by Drako; 08-12-2023 at 08:49 AM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

One quick rant from me: this last episode shows what happens when you try to balance action and romance in every single episode. You get a fight scene that gets interrupted so characters can have romantic dialogue. It's not exactly terrible, but it's not particularly good writing, either.

Hmmm, I think I might agree with that. This is clearly not our most clever Superman (might he be too inspired by Goku again?).

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    The villains are the most underwhelming aspect of the show, Superman and Lois are the best part.

When i read the Mxyzptlk at the description of the episode i got scared they would make him just a cientist with some tech bullshit, but i got suprised with what we got. Didn't like that he looked like a Thundercat from the 2011 series, tho.

Also don't really like that the Murderman concept is being brought up, but since this is not this type of story i can live with it.
    I think the show has a great take on Clark. So much so that it takes precedent over Superman.
    Hmmm, I think I might agree with that. This is clearly not our most clever Superman (might he be too inspired by Goku again?).
    He did figure out how to beat Parasite, but he doesn't feel as skilled with his powers (even the ones he's already unlocked).

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Being an ******* isn't that bad. i tend to think "aura of an idealist" thing is dumb.people are entitled to secrets.Everybody has them.it makes clark or bruce relatable.The hiding things and keeping things private part.Most marvel movies and other media don't have secret identities.They are all "eff you! I am iron man." Except for peter

Goku for the most part is never dumb in a fight.When it actually matters as the show is built around martial arts and fights..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-12-2023 at 10:58 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"