Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Being an asshole isn't that bad. i tend to think "aura of an idealist" thing is dumb.people are entitled to secrets.Everybody has them.it makes clark or bruce relatable.The hiding things and keeping things private part.Most marvel movies and other media don't have secret identities.They are all "eff you! I am iron man." Except for peter
    I think having privacy and being an asshole are two very different things in execution...

Maybe I’m not delusional for thinking MAWS might get more seasons after all!

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Hmmm, I think I might agree with that. This is clearly not our most clever Superman (might he be too inspired by Goku again?).
    He’s just a rookie. He’s been Superman for what seems like a couple months at most. Personality wise he’s nothing like Goku, and I don’t agree that he comes across as dumb. Mxy’s whole thing is pulling tricks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the show has a great take on Clark. So much so that it takes precedent over Superman.

He did figure out how to beat Parasite, but he doesn't feel as skilled with his powers (even the ones he's already unlocked).
    Yeah because he’s a rookie. To compare with the other “young Superman” show in Invincible, Mark was getting the stuffing beat out of him practically every episode. Given the perception of Superman is that he’s invincible and everything is a cakewalk for him, I think the show going with a rookie Superman who makes mistakes and isn’t able to effortlessly beat the villains by himself is the right move. Seen way too many people legit surprised that Superman is struggling with fights because they thought he was One Punch Man, it’s good that the show is allowing him to struggle.
    Last edited by Vordan; 08-12-2023 at 12:44 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

That Hall of Loises was like the Barbie movie showcasing the different Barbies

Fleisher Lois getting so much respect was appreciated. She was a LEGEND (and totally capable of discovering the DC Multiverse)

Extraordinary Member

I think the show has a great take on Clark. So much so that it takes precedent over Superman.
    Yeah, the show’s very much a second take on the Lois and Clark concept over Superman.

As a 90’s kid, I’m okay with that.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s just a rookie. He’s been Superman for what seems like a couple months at most. Personality wise he’s nothing like Goku, and I don’t agree that he comes across as dumb. Mxy’s whole thing is pulling tricks.

Yeah because he’s a rookie. To compare with the other “young Superman” show in Invincible, Mark was getting the stuffing beat out of him practically every episode. Given the perception of Superman is that he’s invincible and everything is a cakewalk for him, I think the show going with a rookie Superman who makes mistakes and isn’t able to effortlessly beat the villains by himself is the right move. Seen way too many people legit surprised that Superman is struggling with fights because they thought he was One Punch Man, it’s good that the show is allowing him to struggle.
    I get it but I feel like there's a better balance between him still learning the ropes while still letting him be the one who overcomes the threats that come his way and get to use his powers as effectively as one would expect from Superman. He doesn't need to end fights in one punch but I feel like they could have him do more or let him show off that he's Superman.

You don't have to make your character infallible/overpowered but you also don't have to make them seem ineffectual or subdued in their own show. Like how in the 2017 Spider-Man cartoon Spidey was getting saved by his supporting cast practically every episode and could barely beat a single villain without help, and is that what people check into a Spider-Man cartoon to see?

It's the same reason people hated how Supes was portrayed in the first season Justice League.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yeah, the show’s very much a second take on the Lois and Clark concept over Superman.

As a 90’s kid, I’m okay with that.
    Well, I watched more S:TAS than L&C in the 90's .

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Maybe I’m not delusional for thinking MAWS might get more seasons after all!
    About the main concern with more seasons is obviously the strike.

Now the second season has been greenlit so we don't have to worry about that for a while but it will be an issue once it airs and the corpos still aren't budging with their heads in their asses.

It's way too early to make any sweeping generalizations about this show, but my initial, surface-level impression of the show is that their Superman lacks precociousness. He's more of an otherwise-average Joe with a big heart, which is not such a bad thing. Certainly, in the face of all the evil Supermen out there, Superman's heart has become more important, but this leaves us with a "good" version of Superman but one that doesn't embrace Superman's other exceptional attributes which is important to making the character appealing to larger audiences (IMO, of course).

The other limiting factor of the show is that unlike something like STAS that's unapologetically about Superman first and everything else second, this show splits the lead protagonist role two and a half ways. So STAS (which I thought was mid) could have Superman d**k around for 17 minutes but by the end of the episode he's going to have to figure it out. In this show, there will have been a lot of episodes when L or J will have stepped up and engineered the solution. Back to STAS, their Mxy debut was fantastic, really taking advantage of how this is one villain Superman would have to be on his A-game. This most recent episode is entertaining, but it does come up way short as a showcase episode for Superman and Mxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    About the main concern with more seasons is obviously the strike.

Now the second season has been greenlit so we don't have to worry about that for a while but it will be an issue once it airs and the corpos still aren't budging with their heads in their asses.
    I think the Animation Guild’s contract is up next year and I’m sure it will play out the same as the SAG and WGA negotiations did. As for the SAG and WGA strikes, my guess is that the strikes will go until 2024. There’s a huge fight going on about the use of AI and the residuals structure with regard to streaming, and the corps have enough content that they can wait for a while. Perhaps SAG might get a deal earlier because actors are valued more, but the writers are going to have the screws put to them I reckon.

At least Gunn seems to like the show, my main concern there was that he might want to cancel it to do a DCU Superman cartoon. Now it’s possible that could be superior to MAWS, especially with regards to the villains, but if I don’t dig Gunn’s take in Legacy then I would like to have an alternative. All I hope for is another two season order to give the show four seasons total. That would satisfy me. If Harley Quinn can get that I’d like to think Superman could too.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    It's way too early to make any sweeping generalizations about this show, but my initial, surface-level impression of the show is that their Superman lacks precociousness. He's more of an otherwise-average Joe with a big heart, which is not such a bad thing. Certainly, in the face of all the evil Supermen out there, Superman's heart has become more important, but this leaves us with a "good" version of Superman but one that doesn't embrace Superman's other exceptional attributes which is important to making the character appealing to larger audiences (IMO, of course).
    I don’t really know what you’re referring to, we see Clark save a car as a child demonstrating his heroic tendencies from a young age. He stands up to Ivo showing that he has a backbone and isn’t afraid to get in people’s faces. He tries to help Livewire even though she tries to kill him. He rejects the offer to leave Earth with Brain and Malluh because even though the world can be cruel he thinks it’s worth fighting for, and that he needs to be a symbol. Even when Lois gets mad about his lying, he doesn’t immediately roll over but defends himself and his decisions. In short he’s compassionate, principled, firm in his convictions, it’s just paired with him being a big dork instead of the square-jawed paragon of perfection take we usually see get adapted. Given how that old archetype has been mocked/deconstructed to death, I think the new approach is better.

About the only trait I’m not huge on is how Clark wants to be “normal”. That’s the most “Byrne” like aspect I see in this version and I prefer Supermen who embrace that they’re different but that’s ok. My hope is that Clark’s power levels are so low because he’s not accepting himself fully, like in Superman Smashes The Klan. Once he accepts that he is an alien and will always be different, but that doesn’t mean he’s lesser, then he should get a boost in power and start to be more comfortable with who he is.
    The other limiting factor of the show is that unlike something like STAS that's unapologetically about Superman first and everything else second, this show splits the lead protagonist role two and a half ways. So STAS (which I thought was mid) could have Superman d**k around for 17 minutes but by the end of the episode he's going to have to figure it out. In this show, there will have been a lot of episodes when L or J will have stepped up and engineered the solution. Back to STAS, their Mxy debut was fantastic, really taking advantage of how this is one villain Superman would have to be on his A-game. This most recent episode is entertaining, but it does come up way short as a showcase episode for Superman and Mxy.
    This is a take I don’t agree with given the showrunners were so bored with the character that they were throwing in guest appearances from other DC Heroes and never bothered to even adapt villains which were popular at the time like Silver Banshee. Timm had no less than three evil Superman storylines because that was the only way he could get interested: Brave New Metropolis, Darkseid brainwashing Clark, and the Justice Lords.

I never was a huge fan of the Gottfried Mxy which I know is heresy, so I vastly prefer this show’s take. DCAU Mxy was just annoying, especially with Gottfried’s voice, I liked how MAWS Mxy is annoying but can also be a legit threat.

MAWS isn’t perfect but it’s a show that clearly likes the character and his world. I can’t see a show that actually plays up Jimmy’s importance as being inferior to one which relegated Jimmy to the background and the most interesting storyline for Lois it could think of was “what if she died and Superman went evil?” and “what if she dated Batman?”.
    I get it but I feel like there's a better balance between him still learning the ropes while still letting him be the one who overcomes the threats that come his way and get to use his powers as effectively as one would expect from Superman. He doesn't need to end fights in one punch but I feel like they could have him do more or let him show off that he's Superman.

You don't have to make your character infallible/overpowered but you also don't have to make them seem ineffectual or subdued in their own show. Like how in the 2017 Spider-Man cartoon Spidey was getting saved by his supporting cast practically every episode and could barely beat a single villain without help, and is that what people check into a Spider-Man cartoon to see?

It's the same reason people hated how Supes was portrayed in the first season Justice League.

Well, I watched more S:TAS than L&C in the 90's .
    I guess for me I’ll take a Clark that can’t do everything by himself if it serves to make Jimmy and Lois feel more important. Minute they have him need Batman for help I’ll be complaining right there with you .
    Last edited by Vordan; 08-12-2023 at 06:42 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think having privacy and being an asshole are two very different things in execution...
    For some it's the same.I don't care if a character is either of em
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I don’t really know what you’re referring to, we see Clark save a car as a child demonstrating his heroic tendencies from a young age. He stands up to Ivo showing that he has a backbone and isn’t afraid to get in people’s faces. He tries to help Livewire even though she tries to kill him. He rejects the offer to leave Earth with Brain and Malluh because even though the world can be cruel he thinks it’s worth fighting for, and that he needs to be a symbol. Even when Lois gets mad about his lying, he doesn’t immediately roll over but defends himself and his decisions. In short he’s compassionate, principled, firm in his convictions, it’s just paired with him being a big dork instead of the square-jawed paragon of perfection take we usually see get adapted. Given how that old archetype has been mocked/deconstructed to death, I think the new approach is better.

About the only trait I’m not huge on is how Clark wants to be “normal”. That’s the most “Byrne” like aspect I see in this version and I prefer Supermen who embrace that they’re different but that’s ok. My hope is that Clark’s power levels are so low because he’s not accepting himself fully, like in Superman Smashes The Klan. Once he accepts that he is an alien and will always be different, but that doesn’t mean he’s lesser, then he should get a boost in power and start to be more comfortable with who he is.

This is a take I don’t agree with given the showrunners were so bored with the character that they were throwing in guest appearances from other DC Heroes and never bothered to even adapt villains which were popular at the time like Silver Banshee. Timm had no less than three evil Superman storylines because that was the only way he could get interested: Brave New Metropolis, Darkseid brainwashing Clark, and the Justice Lords.

I never was a huge fan of the Gottfried Mxy which I know is heresy, so I vastly prefer this show’s take. DCAU Mxy was just annoying, especially with Gottfried’s voice, I liked how MAWS Mxy is annoying but can also be a legit threat.

MAWS isn’t perfect but it’s a show that clearly likes the character and his world. I can’t see a show that actually plays up Jimmy’s importance as being inferior to one which relegated Jimmy to the background and the most interesting storyline for Lois it could think of was “what if she died and Superman went evil?” and “what if she dated Batman?”.
    I don't think particularly highly of STAS, but I think it's still a Superman show through and through. It's just they wasted Superman a lot of times. Like, if you take the Green Lantern episode, Supes still feels like the main character, it's just that he kind of sucks in that episode. He mostly serves for exposition and acting as Sinestro's punching bag so Kyle can save the day, but IMO it's still a Superman show with a special guest star.

I was trying to articulate that I think the show does lean on "A [naive] farmboy at heart" take, but probably didn't do a great job of explaining that. But to be clear, I think with all the Evil Superman/hero out of convenience stories we've had lately, I'm good with stories that emphasize his decency.

I guess for me I’ll take a Clark that can’t do everything by himself if it serves to make Jimmy and Lois feel more important. Minute they have him need Batman for help I’ll be complaining right there with you .
    Honestly one of my biggest pet peeves is limiting the hero to make the supporting cast feel more relevant/important because there are other ways of doing it.

Didn't like it when the Arrowverse did it. Didn't like it when Spider-Man did it. Don't really care for it with Superman either, and I love the cast.

Incredible Member

Vordan carrying the positivity in this thread

EDIT: I do udnerstand some of the complains, even if don't share them.

BANNED

Superman's supporting cast is crap, it only serves to limit the character, it's ridiculous that a photographer and a journalist help Superman against a villain. Look, I hate Batman but if Lois and Jimmy can be in the fight against the villains ,Batman should be able to defeat them with his eyes closed. Lois and Jimmy are Clark's supporting cast, not Superman's.

Thoughts on these 4 episodes of #MyAdventuresWithSuperman #MAWS :
    s1e04 "Let's Go To Ivo Tower, You Say?"
    s1e05 "You Will Believe A Man Can Lie"
    s1e06 "My Adventures With Mad Science"
    s1e07 "Kiss Kiss Fall Through Portal"
    Spoilers follow ...

1. Going to whirlwind these episodes quickly in a desperate effort to catch up to the latest offering from MAWS, a show that seems to be getting incrementally better by the episode.

2. It's a great call IMO, having Lois figure out Clark's secret very early on in their relationship.

The "Love Triangle For Two" trope that was acceptable from the 1930s thru the 1980s now just makes Lois look dumb and Clark look jerk-ish.

Also, absolutely no one who spends any significant time with Kal-El in both his Clark and Superman personas is going to stay fooled by this paper-thin disguise*.

3. I appreciate that Clark doesn't just roll over for Lois when she's in the wrong.

She wanted to expose Superman's secrets, and Clark rightfully and loudly pointed out that was HIS privacy she was going destroy in her zeal.

4. I have a feeling that the MAWS Jimmy Olsen is going to wind up becoming the best ever version of Superman's Pal.

Crazy as it sounds now, Jimmy Olsen used to be as central to the Superverse as Robin was to the Batverse (tho this was at least over 40 years ago real-time).

The character has since taken a deep back seat to Lois, John Henry, Kara, Krypto, anyone named Superboy, Batman, and Wonder Woman in the pecking order of Superman's pals.

But this is the closest Jimmy has ever been to Clark. He figured out Clark's secret before anyone else, didn't say anything until Clark told him, and was told the secret right after Lois (which understandably pissed him off a bit). He actually feels vital here.

5. Clark's conflicting desires to be "normal" (and not be an isolated freak) while still wanting to know who he is and where he came from is juxtaposed nicely in these episodes.

Dude is like an onion: lots of layers here.

6. General Sam Lane is back to being a morally grey character.

Too bad, I dug the positive portrayal of him in #SupermanAndLois but have to remember most versions of Lois' dad are usually antagonistic in nature.

This one is awfully familiar with Amanda Wallace (he has the balls to call her "Mandy" to her face).

7. Ivo as Parasite is a miss for me.

I, uh, don't really know anything about Ivo from the comix, but I presume at least his shtick isn't Diet MCU Tony Starks (if he had never gotten abducted in the Middle East during Iron Man 1 and stayed sleazy) ... plus he's never even been the Parasite in any story AFAIK.

And I really don't like the MAWS Parasite design. Parasite is one Super Foe that never relies on tech. But maybe this version can evolve into more of that classic life-draining monster.

Oh, and I really hope that young "Alex" is NOT going to become MAWS' Lex Luthor ... please be a red herring.

8) I only know Monsieur Mallah and The Brain from the underrated #TeenTitansGo cartoon.

They still have wonderful comedic value as a duo, and here the LGBTQ vibes are more front and center since Mallah can talk and there's no glossing over their relationship here. Hope to see them again down the road.

9. Mxyzptlk is awesome.

Never watched any version of Dragon Ball before (but I have been online clips without context), so I get the complaint that the MAWS version doesn't look at all like Classic Mxy ... but unlike the Parasite case, I don't care.

MAWS Mxyzptlk may not look the part, but damn does he sure ACT the part!

Loved that this Mxy took Clark through many of his different animated selves (they were blink and you could miss them): quality fan service!

Mxy being a multiversal thief is a new take, one that I'm unsure of, but he still brings the chaos. Loved that his power-up macguffin was his old-school derby hat.

10. The League of Lois Lanes is cool as hell.

Yes, it's not the most original concept, as #RickAndMorty did the most comprehensive job with the multiverse motif, and both DC and Marvel have been doing some version of it for decades. But a council of multiversal Lois Lanes somehow feels fresh.

And I'll say it: Superman being a multiversal focal point comes WAY more naturally to the character than it does for Spider-Man (no shade, SpiderVerse is great, but dimension-hopping really shouldn't become Spidey's forte IMO).

Also: love that "Clois" is firmly a real ship this early in the show.

11. In a multiverse of infinite possibilities, Superman is not always good.

Yes, and that fact should apply to literally every other character in the multiverse, not just him.

Bottom line: it's taken a few episodes, but MAWS is really picking up steam now. Stakes are rising.

Overall grade of enjoyment for these 4 episodes: 8.5 / 10

what adversaries have been featured in the series so far? Obviously Lex is off the table until "later"...