Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I liked the way Clark discovered his powers.

Finally got around seeing the two episodes on Adult swim website

quick thoughts

- Episode 1 just neck break speed which got some time to get use to so but episode 2 take a better pace

-From the first minutes I get more Kid Jon vibes then kid clark like you show me this and didn't tell me it was a Superman show i could have mistaken it to be a superson animation

- Don't know it just me or just the media im consuming lately but it great to see a kid having fun with with superpower without it pull back to be deconstruction

-They did the Clark & Jimmy friendship perfectly the banter that for the first time I optimistic to see more Jimmy (jeez jimmy doing good this year). Love how Flamebird was implemented and love all the easter eggs from Starro, to Atlantis to gorilla city

-Speaking of which love how they even modernized Newsboy Legion which i love such a fun take

-The fight scenes was great striking a great balance with superman who inexperience getting toss around but still manages to deal with military droid and livewire. Even blows MoS out the water by actually trying to clean up after the fights

-Still conflicted with Livewire especially since this seems to be more Volcana then livewire (superpower female hunted by the government/Cadmus). I like her progression with her power/costume and hints of her getting her classic milk white skin and blue hair later down the road

-The anime exaggerated faces gags are a hit or miss for me and there i a lot of blushing like we get it they in love we can tell without their faces turning red every time they look at each other

-I gush about i like the Kryptonian language and i really like the whole Forerunner-ish hyper tech kryptonian empire that they're going on

-I might be the only one but i really like that we're combining the Kryptonian armor with Martha needle works so we get both of two world kinda like Clark

- Anime deathstroke voiced by Jerry...ok weird but still kinda worked when you don't think about it also like this is young Slade with the two eye and fight style very reminiscence of Nightwing
    now make sure he don't get near any lolis

-Task force x not hard to know what that is but Nemesis Omega? Zero Day? any guesses

sorry for just rambling on

Quote Originally Posted by Venomized-spider-man View Post

-I might be the only one but i really like that we're combining the Kryptonian armor with Martha needle works so we get both of two world kinda like Clark
    ^^^Heck yeah, I mentioned that too; such a nice touch!

-Task force x not hard to know what that is but Nemesis Omega? Zero Day? any guesses
    ^^^Closest I found to Zero Day was the Black Zero Event which was the Kryptonian invasion in the DCEU.

Probably when Brainiac invades or something.

Although the tech seems to be Kryptonian since Clark got flashbacks from touching the battery for the electronic suit on Livewires back.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Adult Swim uploaded the first episode on their official Youtube channel.

This is how I got to see it.
    Assassinate Putin!

I love that DC logo with Superman just flying through it. Also interesting that they're saving the OP for past the premier episode.

The animation is very lively and fluid, probably one of the better looking DC Animated projects in a while.

I wonder if the whole "blue eyes" for when Clark unlocks his powers is a bit much. Like, I'm a massive anime fan and can tell this is influencing the production and style a lot, but I wonder if it might get to be a bit too much. I also thought it was interesting we only saw him use speed, flight, and super-strength. No Heat Vision, X-Ray Vision, or even super-breath. Does he not have those yet? Is this going to be like Smashes the Clan where the more he learns about himself and embraces his Kryptonian heritage the more he unlocks his powerset? I'm wondering if he even has super-hearing, the only time he seemed to use it was when he heard Lois yelling for him while he was flying in the air.

Ha! Parallels between our main couple. That's cute.

Clark breaking stuff is kind of a fun gag but my takeaway was that it indicates yet again how he had no formal training in his powers up to this point. He basically is just winging it (and sometimes causing property damage in the process).

It's interesting setting up that our traditional reporter trio are interns just starting out rather than full-fledged reporters like they always are. I'm guessing their main character arc will be becoming official reporters (and Jimmy a proper photographer). Especially since they still basically do reporter stuff, especially Lois.

Jack Quaid is a very likeable, dorky, and endearing Clark. I'm just wondering if we're going to see him build up the Superman persona and voice.

They really wasted no time with Clois in this episode. Barely two minutes into meeting each other and their crushing hard and stumbling all over each other. It was really cute and sweet, but also felt like it moved really fast? I've seen anime romcoms with a little more build up than that. But I guess they've got 10 episodes and a lot of stuff to cover so they need to move at a bit of a rapid pace.

I can kind of see where they're going with Jimmy as a chill, cool, conspiracy nut, but I feel like he toes the line between being fun and being a bit grating. Him needling Clark and Lois was pretty fun, though. I hope one of his conspiracy bents gets him transformed into a turtle. Curious if they do more with the "Flamebird" thing.

Perry being perpetually frustrated by the trio's antics was fun but I hope we get to dive a bit more into him as a character and as a newspaper editor.

I had honestly completely forgotten about the Newskid Legion being in this show. Guardian cameo! It's funny how Big Words was the only one they didn't gender-bend (YJ basically made her Velma).

Nice tag team from Clark and Lois!

Lois Lane took down more giant robots than Superman did! Heck, Superman needed to get bailed out twice in both of his major fights, even if he was the one who resolved things in the end. I hope as Clark grows as a hero and grows into his powers he's able to resolve things more effectively and on his own.

I'm expecting Lois is going to throw it in Clark's face that he got upset with her for lying when she finds out he's Superman. Though the effect of Clark with just the glasses was surprisingly effective.

It's funny to me that Martha looked a lot younger than Jonathan here but while Martha actually aged in the present-day Jonathan looked...exactly the same. I also like how the one thing Clark and his dad have in common is faking being sick to bail on stuff.

So Lois likes Clark but admires Superman?

The universal constant of Superman adaptions is Lois Lane dragging Jimmy Olsen to take pictures for her.

So it seems the rocket buried itself underground and built the Fortress underneath? And while it's not in the arctic, it brings the decor of the arctic with it when you actually go inside?

Hardcore Big Boss Jor-El. I'm curious how long they'll keep up the language gap between him and Clark, because it'll keep Clark in the dark for a while. I guess that'll probably come to a head when Lara and Brainaic show up.

Clever job of splitting the difference for the Superman suit. It's Kryptonian from the Fortress as the base, but Martha adds the trunks and the belt...because you gotta break up the blue!

I feel like the weakest aspect of the premier was the villains. Like, what part of this character was Livewire other than when she starts shooting out electricity? She was a pretty generic criminal otherwise with no real backstory, motivation, or the kind of lively personality I expect from Livewire. I guess maybe they're building up to her transforming into a more comic-accurate look (which might be why they didn't have Slade say what her thief name was so they can make it a big deal when she's called "Livewire"), but so far I'm not too in love with it.

That's Slade Wilson? That scrawny, foppy, unremarkable guy? I guess maybe the white hair was meant to be the tell, but still. Maybe he'll get a serious makeover when he loses his eye and become Deathstroke.

I guess it wouldn't be a Superman show if the remnants of Krypton weren't giving Clark a headache. Seems like a lot of Kryptonian tech (or crystals) appeared to the government through a portal and they've been using that to develop dangerous tech like the robots and Leslie's suit. And that's before we even get to Kryptonite. Is this why Metropolis is so futuristic? Or is that Lex?

I kind of wonder what happened to Krypton. Seem like someone (or something) did something to their sun that caused the planet to blow up but there was also a space battle? Was this all Brainiac?

So Amanda Waller and General Sam Lane are running their own black ops unit trying to find and weaponize all the Kryptonian tech?

So Cat, Ron, and Lombard. I think Lombard is confirmed to show up so that just leaves Cat and Ron. It's kind of funny to think the Planet has three prominent black characters now.

Just saw ep. 2. I'm just happy that we have a Jimmy Olsen who isn't useless. Really makes the show more enjoyable that I actually care about Jimmy.

I was ready for a "weak-end" Superman but I think the show struck a good balance.

There are a lot of character designs in this show I don't like, unfortunately. Livewire's is particularly unsightly, and it's going to take me some time to adjust to Deathstroke the pretty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Maybe I should have watched that other show if they were cultured enough to nod Alpha 2

At 1:26, unmistakenable tribute to Alpha 2. Actually, the SF reference was a lot more on the nose than I remembered, "Boulevard Brawler 2" LOL.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 07-07-2023 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I feel like the weakest aspect of the premier was the villains. Like, what part of this character was Livewire other than when she starts shooting out electricity? She was a pretty generic criminal otherwise with no real backstory, motivation, or the kind of lively personality I expect from Livewire. I guess maybe they're building up to her transforming into a more comic-accurate look (which might be why they didn't have Slade say what her thief name was so they can make it a big deal when she's called "Livewire"), but so far I'm not too in love with it.
    Their take on the villains is pretty reminiscent of The Batman cartoon’s more out there takes on Batman’s villains (a Penguin who fights on equal terms with Bats, Marilyn Manson Riddler, Joker being a crazy juggalo, etc). Fitting given that this is also the first Superman cartoon after STAS, which means our next Superman cartoon will be a love letter to the Silver Age . Brainiac I have a feeling will be great, and I think their Mxy take will be great too, but Livewire is pretty bland and her DCAU incarnation will remain the “iconic” version.

One villain they absolutely could do a better job with compared to the DCAU is Metallo. If they’re giving him his New 52 origin then I will likely end up enjoying this show’s take on him more. Especially since they’re leaning in to both tech and the military as problems for Superman.
    That's Slade Wilson? That scrawny, foppy, unremarkable guy? I guess maybe the white hair was meant to be the tell, but still. Maybe he'll get a serious makeover when he loses his eye and become Deathstroke.
    Even though they’ll never name drop American Alien as an influence, there’s no way that story isn’t part of the reason he’s here. And just like AA I expect Deathstroke will mainly serve as comic relief, the tryhard badass who wants to take down Supes but is punching waaaaay above his weight class. Ideally he wouldn’t be here at all, but Clark bodying him could be amusing. Hope he’s gone by S2, use Bloodsport or Lobo if you want bounty hunters for Supes to fight, or Metallo for military men (and it looks like we might get Metallo).
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-07-2023 at 09:16 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member

Good first two episodes.

Some random thoughts:
    Superman's power set seems more like Electric Blue than the traditional set. Also the S is more like Electric Blue.

Apparently Krypton's sun is bombed and turned red, could be Brainiac, since that was how Geoff Johns wrote that story.

Jor El is basically Odin who can't speak English, lol. Also according to the leak, Brainiac made a clone of Lara who thinks Clark is weak or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Their take on the villains is pretty reminiscent of The Batman cartoon’s more out there takes on Batman’s villains (a Penguin who fights on equal terms with Bats, Marilyn Manson Riddler, Joker being a crazy juggalo, etc). Fitting given that this is also the first Superman cartoon after STAS, which means our next Superman cartoon will be a love letter to the Silver Age . Brainiac I have a feeling will be great, and I think their Mxy take will be great too, but Livewire is pretty bland and her DCAU incarnation will remain the “iconic” version.

One villain they absolutely could do a better job with compared to the DCAU is Metallo. If they’re giving him his New 52 origin then I will likely end up enjoying this show’s take on him more. Especially since they’re leaning in to both tech and the military as problems for Superman.
    At least the villains in The Batman relatively looked and acted like themselves and stood out which is more than I can say so far, but this is only two episodes in.
    Even though they’ll never name drop American Alien as an influence, there’s no way that story isn’t part of the reason he’s here. And just like AA I expect Deathstroke will mainly serve as comic relief, the tryhard badass who wants to take down Supes but is punching waaaaay above his weight class. Ideally he wouldn’t be here at all, but Clark bodying him could be amusing. Hope he’s gone by S2, use Bloodsport or Lobo if you want bounty hunters for Supes to fight, or Metallo for military men (and it looks like we might get Metallo).
    Honestly considering Clark's showing so far they'll probably find some way for Deathstroke to hold his own. But it feels like a waste of a character one way or another.

Incredible Member

Personally, I liked the way they're approaching Clark. Quaid does a good job as Clark (his Superman needs a bit of work though) and I think they've found a good balance between this uwu persona and an actual interesting character. Jimmy works for me as well.

But the rest? Oh boy. It feels like a cliché storm of every single anime trope they could find. Lois is somewhat sassy, but she's lost her edge and personality, substituted by that of generic cute anime tsundere girl as well as the "girl of the group" cliché. Clark now needs to unlock powers based on emotional like in every single anime ever. The robots came off straight of Evangelion and every villain looks like they belong in Team Rocket.

And the writing itself doesn't approach those clichés in an interesting way either, it's all extremely generic and predictable, like written by algorithm. The pacing of the first two episodes was rushed. The storyline is your average "government wants to capture Superman/wants his own metas as an Anti-Superman squad" thing (but without the panache someone like say, Grant Morrison, gave his version of the storyline in Action Comics), Livewire is no lnoger a cynical celebrity turned supervillain but a generic thief, the other supervillains seem to get their powers from tech as well, Jor-El is a generic gruff-looking space dad (he looked like Odin in his younger years), Krypton is destroyed by a war, Supes' mom I predict will become a villain because she was drawn with villain eyes...

I'm all for modernizing and mixing genres. But here, it's like they took the Superman mythos and story, removed the elements that made it unique and substituted them by a long list of generic clichés. This show would feel by the numbers and written by committee even if it were an original property.

I dunno, I just expected a lot more effort writing wise...
    Last edited by Zagre; 07-07-2023 at 11:53 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At least the villains in The Batman relatively looked and acted like themselves and stood out which is more than I can say so far, but this is only two episodes in.
    I would say the main difference with The Batman is the designs there are still very over the top and colorful. A lot of the characters even if they do look very differant maintain distinct and action-figury looks.

Here though its a lot more toned down and kinda "movie superheroes wear lots of black". Lots of simple black practical get-ups, Banshee is basically just a helmet with a black overcoat while going by the opening Deathstroke will be wearing a mostly black suit with a red mask meaning his iconic two-tone color scheme is lost (though in fairness its not the first time for him, the TT cartoon had him wearing a largely black get up).

The main problem is the apparent lack of color. Its a lot of utilitarian blacks and greys when Superman rogues tend to be more colorful. And going by Amazo and Mr. Myx a lot of purples too, meaning all the villain's we've seen at the moment have very dark color schemes.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 07-08-2023 at 02:09 AM.

Slade peaked for me in 2003 with the Teen Titans tv show and anything since has just felt mediocre, imo. If the show can make pretty boy Slade Wilson work then I don't mind the change.

With Livewire, it's kind of a shame because she was someone who could antagonize Superman in both his career and his super-heroics back in her original incarnation when she was a shock jock. I don't know if they are going to bring back that incarnation in some way, like maybe make her a supervillain influencer (not that we don't have those irl, lol) or just let that part of her character go by the wayside completely.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I'm liking from what I've seen so far but some of the animation could have used a bit more polishing, particularly this scene, which stood out like a sore thumb.
    https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxCl8FbQM...idLzIwtIKnryr4
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So something just occurred to me. Did Clark actually need glasses before his powers kicked in? Because we see him wearing them before he rescues the car which is supposedly when he discovers them. Does the second episode explain this a little better? Are they approaching it like Spiderman?
    Assassinate Putin!