Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Itchpfork View Post
    Getting Scott and Jean back together for the soft-reboot was already forced (it was just like suddenly putting Xavier back in a wheelchair for the launch of adjectiveless X-Men), and it didn't help that there's been vanishingly little visible love or chemistry between them since they got back together for the Krakoa soft-reboot. Duggan wants us to be agog at the possibility of them splitting up, but the better question is: why are they together to begin with? It's like they met up on Krakoa and felt mutually obligated to get back to it since their marriage was never annulled.

I can't remember now, but was there ever a sequence where we see Jean and Scott together in the bedroom, and Scott tells her what he's been up to since she died? Like, "okay, read my mind, I've been through a lot and I might not be the same person you remember, and there's a lot you need to know about before this goes any farther."
    I am curious how it felt forced when both have always had a strong love for each other. Jean embraced and kissed Scott when she saw him alive for the first time post revival (during the time he had one eye). And since the Hickman relaunch, they have been shown to both be effective leaders together as well an intimate partners. I mean artists did a great job of depicting them in bed together during the 2022 Hellfire Gala issue to show their intimacy. Idk but the scenes of them kissing each other, holding each other and light teasing back in X-men show chemistry to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I don't think their relationship has felt forced. If anything—and this is something most fans have either overlooked or framed in different, suggestive ways—I believe their relationship has simply constituted Scott giving Jean the freedom she's never requested or been afforded, a freedom he always had and took for granted. As depicted, she has been the one using hall passes to be with Logan and perhaps, as implied in last year's Hellfire Gala, others. In a sense, their romantic partnership during this era has symbolized a role reversal, with the only difference being that Jean has engaged in affairs and flirtations with Scott's full cognizance.

On the other hand, Scott hasn't exhibited any romantic interest in Emma—if anything, he seemed wary and suspicious of her prior to last year's HG—or anyone else, for that matter. Even in his scene with Emma in this issue, rather than assume there was a chance to rekindle a dalliance with her, he presumed she heard about his and Jean's estrangement—something he refers to as a "tragedy" in the scene—and simply wanted to talk to him about it. Also, Emma's final consolation to him—"I'm sorry you and Jean are skidding. There is not enough love in this world."—indicates that she has grown to respect and even admire their relationship.

While some might feel tempted to refer to Scott as a cuck because of his decision to let Jean do what she wants, I find this dynamic refreshing and totally understandable, especially considering Jean's past sacrifices for him. I interpret his decision to be in an open relationship with her as granting her the space and freedom to figure herself out. And I deeply appreciate that.
    I agree with your statement with respect to Scott and Jean. While I still believe Scott and Emma have hooked up every so often based on Hickman's implied dialogue, I do think for the most part Scott is laser focused on Jean. However, he does trust Emma and these two have always had a special connection with each other. Emma clearly enjoys being around Scott and always refers to him such affection when on panel together, its clear she retains such a fondness and closeness with him even now. Regarding Scott and Jean's relationship, my opinion is that Jean may have the option to explore but at the end of the day Scott is her home, her safe space that she can always go back to. If you look at the kite and rock analogy, Scott is the rock (the grounded person who makes logical decisions, thinking with their head and not their heart) while Jean is the kite (the one who wants to fly, they are often more impulsive and act upon what their gut tells them). Some of the longest lasting relationships are built on that dynamic and that is how I see Scott and Jean which why I think at the end of the day they both work so well together and I hope they continue to do so.
    Last edited by Nightwing96; 06-07-2023 at 11:58 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Exactly. It wasn't really believable they just got back together in the first place.

I mean Phoenix Resurrection has them reconciling before Scott goes back into the ground and Rosenberg's run ends with Jean running straight for him as soon as she gets back from House of Nate.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I actually thought it was hilarious. Shows Scott knows he’s a good looking dude and has some self confidence, to just assume she’d heard about he and Jean being on ice and was calling him up for a booty call. Ha.
    I think it would've been funny if it was a different character. Logan, Bobby, Sunspot, someone less serious than Scott. It was OOC (imho) and made him look like a dumbass.

I don't think their relationship has felt forced. If anything—and this is something most fans have either overlooked or framed in different, suggestive ways—I believe their relationship has simply constituted Scott giving Jean the freedom she's never requested or been afforded, a freedom he always had and took for granted. As depicted, she has been the one using hall passes to be with Logan and perhaps, as implied in last year's Hellfire Gala, others. In a sense, their romantic partnership during this era has symbolized a role reversal, with the only difference being that Jean has engaged in affairs and flirtations with Scott's full cognizance.

On the other hand, Scott hasn't exhibited any romantic interest in Emma—if anything, he seemed wary and suspicious of her prior to last year's HG—or anyone else, for that matter. Even in his scene with Emma in this issue, rather than assume there was a chance to rekindle a dalliance with her, he presumed she heard about his and Jean's estrangement—something he refers to as a "tragedy" in the scene—and simply wanted to talk to him about it. Also, Emma's final consolation to him—"I'm sorry you and Jean are skidding. There is not enough love in this world."—indicates that she has grown to respect and even admire their relationship.

While some might feel tempted to refer to Scott as a cuck because of his decision to let Jean do what she wants, I find this dynamic refreshing and totally understandable, especially considering Jean's past sacrifices for him. I interpret his decision to be in an open relationship with her as granting her the space and freedom to figure herself out. And I deeply appreciate that.
    def would have to disagree with this statement, I think Scott even before last year's Gala they trusted each other deeply, JDW explained it in a previous X-Men Monday but despite rough patches between the two they share a connection, he understands her character and I think that's one of the reasons why in that HFG issue he tried so hard to talk to her, I don't think that if he distrusted her he would have wanted to even explain his actions to her, nevertheless even try in tricking her so that he could talk to her.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Itchpfork View Post
    Eesh. Getting tired of Duggan writing Cyclops as an inept himbo.
    Dead serious my first though with the "its my job to stomp him" was like "Yeah, i'm not doing this to myself." it may be good but all i see is myself getting upset at Jean so i may sit this issue out, i don't have much interest in fall so i don't think i'll be missing much from the review.

I just can see if Cyclops was like "that's my job" we would have been at page 82 on how writers have had him stomping on her appearances from the day Scott was born.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Can anyone tell me why Scott was in his 90's attire? Did I miss something?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    def would have to disagree with this statement, I think Scott even before last year's Gala they trusted each other deeply, JDW explained it in a previous X-Men Monday but despite rough patches between the two they share a connection, he understands her character and I think that's one of the reasons why in that HFG issue he tried so hard to talk to her, I don't think that if he distrusted her he would have wanted to even explain his actions to her, nevertheless even try in tricking her so that he could talk to her.
    I would agree with this. Plus its clear to see even now how important Scott is to Emma. They both trust one another and are both similar as they have pragmatic mindsets and are focused on dealing with the worst possible outcomes. I feel they both understand what the other has to deal with and trust they can take care of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I actually thought it was hilarious. Shows Scott knows he’s a good looking dude and has some self confidence, to just assume she’d heard about he and Jean being on ice and was calling him up for a booty call. Ha.
    I'm not so sure he assumed Emma was "calling him up for a booty call," though. I mean, she certainly responded to his reply as if that's what he was implying, but one could also interpret her response as being sardonic, in typical Emma fashion. In either case, considering the fact that he related his "break" from Jean to a "tragedy," I don't think he had any intention of engaging in a tryst with Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing96 View Post
    I am curious how it felt forced when both have always had a strong love for each other. Jean embraced and kissed Scott when she saw him alive for the first time post revival (during the time he had one eye). And since the Hickman relaunch, they have been shown to both be effective leaders together as well an intimate partners. I mean artists did a great job of depicting them in bed together during the 2022 Hellfire Gala issue to show their intimacy. Idk but the scenes of them kissing each other, holding each other and light teasing back in X-men show chemistry to me.
    Everyone sees, remembers, and makes count what they want to see, remember, and make count. Frankly, if we're going to label Jean and Scott getting back together as unrealistic, then it's only fair to label the idea of Emma and Scott rekindling their romance even more unrealistic. I mean, towards the end of the O5's time displacement, Scott had this to say about Emma:

Emma Frost escaped. Caused every bit of what happened with the Inhumans. The lies. The war. Just all of it. Then got off scot-free...like nothing. ...She ruined my life, Jean. Set my name on fire and then stomped it out so it could writhe there on the pavement, all charred and twisted. Made me afraid to grow up. Made me think I might be a born monster. SHe shouldn't get away with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing96 View Post
    I agree mostly with this. While I still believe Scott and Emma have hooked up every so often based on Hickman's implied dialogue, I do think for the most part Scott is laser focused on Jean. Emma clearly enjoys being around Scott and always refers to him such affection when on panel together, its clear she retains such a fondness and closeness with him even now. Regarding Scott and Jean's relationship, my opinion is that Jean may have the option to explore but at the end of the day Scott is her home, her safe space that she can always go back to. If you look at the kite and rock analogy, Scott is the rock (the grounded person who makes logical decisions, thinking with their head and not their heart) while Jean is the kite (the one who wants to fly, they are often more impulsive and act upon what their gut tells them). Some of the longest lasting relationships are built on that dynamic and that is how I see Scott and Jean which why I think at the end of the day they both work so well together and I hope they continue to do so.
    This is a realistic take, too. I can definitely envision Scott having hooked up with Emma before realizing he didn't want to, perhaps because of some of the reasons listed above. Then again, just like I believe Jean's actions as Dark Phoenix stemmed from being traumatized—she was grappling with PTSD—I feel Emma's actions towards the Inhumans and the O5 during their time displacement were borne from acute trauma. As with Jean, Emma's past untoward actions should be acknowledged and treated as integral parts of her history, but she should also be forgiven for them.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Fantastic Member

I found the Emma/Scott scene hard to believe. Emma is obsessed with being w/Scott Summers. no way she doesn't try to move in/exploit/add to any conflict he is having with Jean Grey.

Amazing Member

This is a realistic take, too. I can definitely envision Scott having hooked up with Emma before realizing he didn't want to, perhaps because of some of the reasons listed above. Then again, just like I believe Jean's actions as Dark Phoenix stemmed from being traumatized—she was grappling with PTSD—I feel Emma's actions towards the Inhumans and the O5 during their time displacement were borne from acute trauma. As with Jean, Emma's past untoward actions should be acknowledged and treated as integral parts of her history, but she should also be forgiven for them.
    I edited my initial comment to highlight the fact that both Scott and Emma have always had a deep trust for one another but I wanted to add my opinion that while it hasn't been outright stated, Scott probably understood why Emma did she did and has likely forgiven her and moved on from it. He is someone who has dealt with his own baggage and loss of loved ones multiple times. Perhaps another writer could delve into Emma's psyche to explore how she dealt with that grief but the only things I can draw in comparison are in Immortal X-men #4 (I think) when it shows that Emma always sleeps in her diamond form to not be vulnerable. It also explains how she knows exactly what Scott sees in her and yet despite knowing how magnificent she is (her words) she still feels like she is nothing. Other than that the only other thing I could think of which is the opposite of grief is the relief she felt when she saw Scott revived the first time from the resurrection pods and shared those feelings with Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    Maybe in the past. Their gala dance showed Scott doesn’t know Emma anymore. He didn’t know about her problems. He didn’t know how alone she feels

Lmao at Scott trying to see if Emma was with it and she was like nah I’m good

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay25 View Post
    I found the Emma/Scott scene hard to believe. Emma is obsessed with being w/Scott Summers. no way she doesn't try to move in/exploit/add to any conflict he is having with Jean Grey.
    No she isn’t. Maybe she was during the IvX/ResureXion era but she has moved on and isn’t all about him anymore. She showed some real growth here and didn’t fall back into old habits

Am I wrong or Stasis knows who MR is but Diamond Sinister didn't?

Are they different aspects of Nathaniel Essex?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Lmao at Scott trying to see if Emma was with it and she was like nah I’m good
    Scott: Booty call at the beach?
    Emma: No, your friend's dead though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by badcaffeine View Post
    Can anyone tell me why Scott was in his 90's attire? Did I miss something?
    The issue might be intentionally trying to do a 90s nostalgia play, since they are facing a Sentinel. I almost expected Jubilee to show up chewing some bubble gum.