Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Death of Wolverine, #2

Logan visits Madripoor to investigate the hit out on him in Charles Soule and Steve McNiven's "Death of Wolverine" #2.

Full review here.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

A decent reveiw. And I'll say that I dining care about why certain characters just showed up. For one the reviewer name drops viper Deathstrike and, Sabretooth. For one sabretooth was put in prison. His fate us explained by viper, who broke him out. Vipers in a Madripoor because she used to rule and still has soon power. Deathstrike is there because the bounty on Logan is on her as well and she tracked logan here to get his help. So i disagree with the reviewer on thier presence not being explained.
    X-Men Forever

Spectacular Member Gladiator7117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    A decent reveiw. And I'll say that I dining care about why certain characters just showed up. For one the reviewer name drops viper Deathstrike and, Sabretooth. For one sabretooth was put in prison. His fate us explained by viper, who broke him out. Vipers in a Madripoor because she used to rule and still has soon power. Deathstrike is there because the bounty on Logan is on her as well and she tracked logan here to get his help. So i disagree with the reviewer on thier presence not being explained.
    My thoughts too. I'm happy Soule can write Wolverine with his fighting expertise. Was getting tire of seeing someone who has mastered all martial arts get his butt kicked. It's shame it takes Logan's death for him to be written correctly. Strength, speed, hearing, smell, and now fighting ability. I don't know what to do with myself. If they have him see in total darkness and perform some acrobatic moves I'll be speechless. Gonna miss ol' Logan.

Yeah, that was the best part of this issue. Seeing Logan take out those henchman without even using his claws. Aside from that, though, this issue felt kind of filler to me. It was decent, but nothing spectacular. Except the art.

Spectacular Member Gladiator7117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Yeah, that was the best part of this issue. Seeing Logan take out those henchman without even using his claws. Aside from that, though, this issue felt kind of filler to me. It was decent, but nothing spectacular. Except the art.
    It seems too short. Yeah the art is great.

Started in Canada. This one went to Madripoor (which I always saw as a fictional blend of Hong Kong and Singapore). Part three goes to Japan. So I wonder where the finale will take place? What other significant locales have there been in Logan's life?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Started in Canada. This one went to Madripoor (which I always saw as a fictional blend of Hong Kong and Singapore). Part three goes to Japan. So I wonder where the finale will take place? What other significant locales have there been in Logan's life?
    I would consider Singapore to be too orderly to be much like Madripoor.

As for other locations, those three seem to be the most important in Logan's life, other than of course Westchester County. There are other places he's spent some time, like the Outback, but nothing of the same significance to him.

I think this score was a little generous, but I can understand it. The first issue had Wolverine start off in Canada, a place that's very important for his roots. This issue took him to Madripoor, another place that's very important to his history. It feels like a natural progression, him going through all these familiar places and re-connecting with them before he checks out. I was actually surprised when his marriage to Viper was mentioned. That's one of those things that almost nobody ever talks about, even though it is canon. I just wish that the battle with Wolverine and Sabretooth was more entertaining. After the disappointment in Wolverine #12, these two haven't had that final epic battle I hoped they would have. They've had so many that it might be impossible at this point. If that's the case, so be it. But I give this issue a few extra bonus points just for the way Kitty showed up at the end.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator7117 View Post
    It seems too short. Yeah the art is great.
    Yea I agree each issue is too short especially since we are paying the Giant Sized price. And getting the behind the scenes stuff to me is a cheap money grab by marvel. Sure its interesting and all but if I pay 5 bucks for an issue I want extra story pages. Especially with this series only being four issues long. And that ticks me off too it should be six. The only reason it was four was so it could all happen in September and thats out the window with delay of issue three. And again how does this get delayed as the continuity errors and non use of previous plot show work on this was started months ago.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Wow, this review read like it was, at best, 3 1/2 stars, MAYBE.

I agree that if we're paying for a bigger issue, we should get more story. The behind the scenes stuff is nice and all, but c'mon, that was gonna be in the trade anyway. Each issue feels too short to me. I'm not asking for 80 pages of contennt or anything, but 10 extra would be nice.

I'm still just okay with this series. It's not particularly bad, but nothing special either. We all know this is going to be undone, but I thought it'd be memorable for more than the art.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Yea I agree each issue is too short especially since we are paying the Giant Sized price. And getting the behind the scenes stuff to me is a cheap money grab by marvel. Sure its interesting and all but if I pay 5 bucks for an issue I want extra story pages. Especially with this series only being four issues long. And that ticks me off too it should be six. The only reason it was four was so it could all happen in September and thats out the window with delay of issue three. And again how does this get delayed as the continuity errors and non use of previous plot show work on this was started months ago.
    Yeah, I mean, I didn't read Wolverine's solo with the "X Months to Die" banner, but I flipped through one or two issues, and wasn't Sabretooth head of a crime syndicate or something? Did that "X Months to Die" actually countdown to this or factor in at all? OR was it basically Countdown to Final Crisis?
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

BANNED

Wolverine showing his fighting hand to hand skills.I'm telling you it's all about Mr-X.It's just total set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    I would consider Singapore to be too orderly to be much like Madripoor.

As for other locations, those three seem to be the most important in Logan's life, other than of course Westchester County. There are other places he's spent some time, like the Outback, but nothing of the same significance to him.
    Don't forget, Hightown Madripoor is an incredibly clean and orderly place. Very futuristic too. Much like Singapore. Lowtown is more like old Hong Kong. Hence why I said it's always felt like a combo of the two to me, having spent time in both places.