Default Best Supes stories from last 5 years?

Thinking of getting more books for the collection, interested in something very new. Can be in or out of continuity, just so long as it's self contained. Can be Superman led, or can be Lois or Jimmy led instead (Superman has a great supporting cast). Heck it can even be Jon led and you know how much I hated them making Clark a dad. Could be part of the regular run of books or Black Label or one of the kid or teen market stories. Just best of the best, which stories of the last 5 years would you most recommend to someone?

I do have a preference for stories collected in trade paper backs or graphic novels, but I can track down floppy single issues for a good enough tale.

Astonishing Member

Superman Smashes the Klan

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Superman Smashes the Klan
    ...I probably should have listed the books I have before asking for recommendations, but yes it is definitely one of the best Superman stories ever! I think it and Man and Superman are the only stories I have from the past several years.

Batman/Superman: World's Finest

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-07-2023 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Thinking of getting more books for the collection, interested in something very new. Can be in or out of continuity, just so long as it's self contained. Can be Superman led, or can be Lois or Jimmy led instead (Superman has a great supporting cast). Heck it can even be Jon led and you know how much I hated them making Clark a dad. Could be part of the regular run of books or Black Label or one of the kid or teen market stories. Just best of the best, which stories of the last 5 years would you most recommend to someone?

I do have a preference for stories collected in trade paper backs or graphic novels, but I can track down floppy single issues for a good enough tale.
    Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen: Who Killed Jimmy Olsen?

Superman: Red & Blue

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen is an absolute blast and I love every panel.

Superman Up In The Sky is perhaps my favourite Superman story, so that's pretty special.

I find PKJ's Superman pretty hit an miss, but he recently wrote one of my all-time favourite Superman pages:

AC.jpg
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I’d add Space Age to the already listed recommendations as well. Incredible book with incredible art.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    I’d add Space Age to the already listed recommendations as well. Incredible book with incredible art.
    To the utmost, I agree! Truly a modern-day Classic (IMHO):

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Space Age and the current line (Action, Superman, and Lost). Really, it hasn't been a bad five years. Bendis did a cool Man of Steel and his follow up comics were mostly quite good. Put the Legion, Jimmy, and Lois in some good places. Yang did a good Batman Superman story and the current World's finest is fun
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Space Age and the current line (Action, Superman, and Lost). Really, it hasn't been a bad five years. Bendis did a cool Man of Steel and his follow up comics were mostly quite good. Put the Legion, Jimmy, and Lois in some good places. Yang did a good Batman Superman story and the current World's finest is fun
    Man, I loved Yang’s Batman Superman run. Great story blending the eras and characters. And let’s not forget Reis on art. Tremendous!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

superman and the authority..bar none.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

"Superman's Day Off," Superman Man of Tomorrow #12.

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    "Superman's Day Off," Superman Man of Tomorrow #12.
    Piggybacking off of this, Superman: Man of Tomorrow #18 Solitude by Brandon Thomas and #19 World’s Vilest by Dave Wielgosz rule too. Superman ‘78 by Venditti and Torres is a fun read. Otherwise everyone else has listed the big ones: Williamson Superman, PKJ Action Comics, Waid World’s Finest, etc.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Superman Up In The Sky (by Tom King) is definitely one I can think of.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”