Thread: Chaos!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Default Chaos!

So, Dynamite Entertainment's new relaunch of the Chaos comics is coming out this week, I believe. Anybody else thinking of picking it up?

I'm mostly giving this one a shot because I've loved everything of Tim Seeley's that I've read. I read up on the likes of Evil Ernie, Lady Death, Purgatori and the rest, and the execution seems like typical 90's "tits, ass, gore and mindless action" that was so common in that era. But the basic mythologies behind the characters do see very cool conceptually. I love horror and supernatural stories, and Seeley made Hack/Slash one of the best ongoings I've read in a while, so I'm more than willing to give this a shot.

I am. I followed parts of the Chaos books back in the day, and in general I like the characters and universe. Some of the books from back then were extremely bad, but in the hands of capable writers, e.g. Peter David, they were a nice alternative to Marvel and DC's spandex. I'm quite sure Seeley and Andreyko can make the series work. The only thing I'm a little worried about, is the Lady Death stand-in.

BANNED

I was a big fan of Chaos back then. And I'm also a big fan of Tim Seeley. So I'm really looking forward to this.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I am going to try out Chastity, sounds interesting. And Chaos mini too. I have not read any of the past stuff, but I am interested to see if I can pick some up at comic-con this year.

I am a fan of Tim's stuff from Dark Horse (The Occultist), so I am hoping its great!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Might try it for Seeley. Will be an uphill battle for him though. Not a fan of cheesecake.

...or T&A comics for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Might try it for Seeley. Will be an uphill battle for him though. Not a fan of cheesecake.

Yeah, I usually avoid T&A comics like the plague, unless the writing is REALLY good to make up for it. Usually, that's not the case.
    Hack/Slash was the rare exception though, so I'm confident I won't be turned off by this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post

Huh? How is it possible to be a fan of Seeley and NOT like cheesecake? Aside from Revival, everything he's written has been loaded with the stuff.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I'm intrigued enough to give it a look.

It's going to be a little disappointing that Purgatori's return doesn't herald a revival of her rivalry with Lady Death. Unless Lady Death is coming to Dynamite sometime soon, these two enemies are now in completely separate universes.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I'm intrigued enough to give it a look.

It's going to be a little disappointing that Purgatori's return doesn't herald a revival of her rivalry with Lady Death. Unless Lady Death is coming to Dynamite sometime soon, these two enemies are now in completely separate universes.
    I think Seeley stated that Lady Death is owned by a different company? The new character, Lady Hell, is her stand in. He also said he's not just going to make her a clone of Lady Death, but give her some unique personality traits.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think Seeley stated that Lady Death is owned by a different company? The new character, Lady Hell, is her stand in. He also said he's not just going to make her a clone of Lady Death, but give her some unique personality traits.
    Yeah, as I understand it, Lady Death is still owned by her creator Brian Pulido. Unless he does a deal with Dynamite to lend her to them, Lady Death's not happening.

For that matter, why WOULDN'T Pulido do a deal with Dynamite after the company he WAS doing a Lady Death book with cancelled the book?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Yeah, as I understand it, Lady Death is still owned by her creator Brian Pulido. Unless he does a deal with Dynamite to lend her to them, Lady Death's not happening.

For that matter, why WOULDN'T Pulido do a deal with Dynamite after the company he WAS doing a Lady Death book with cancelled the book?
    I'm not sure, but I think there are some murky legal (and ethical) issues preventing such a deal.

I'm not too bothered. I'd like to see Purgatori and the rest be the new focus.