Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Bro, been getting those vibes also. I that at some point they're going to drop the noble mute savage Black Panther, lol. Miles is the biggest, and best thing to come out of that universe. He happens to be the hottest thing in the culture right now. They knew a while ago about his new movie, and yet they are doing nothing to play off that energy.
    I can't even fathom what they will do with BP but so far thankfully i have no interest. there are few things i hold in conviction and it's hard to move past the, and the BP Movie is one. I will say i will never watch it, period, i feel that. Until someone can tell me how you honor a man who didn't want anyone to know he was suffering and dying by killing his character and essentially holding a public spectacle of that, i have no care for it. I had this convo with my sister and i realize they believe it but can't say much more than coogler was maybe honoring chad, but then they get that blank stare and go right back to it when you ask "but how is it honoring a man to make a whole movement about his ailment that even some of his co stars didn't know because he was that private." referring to the interview with the Ma Rama actor which was a superb movie. A lot of people really got gaslight by marve/disney and co imo on that one, but it is what it is i guess.

She (my big sis)almost looked dead a$$ stunned when i mentioned marvel had no black male actors of prominence that could protect a role the way chad did with BP and her brain had to race to something before heading back to " but coogler said" and i knew to just let it ride.
    Last edited by jwatson; 06-27-2023 at 03:27 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderTBliss View Post
    Yet rather than say "$9 no thank you" you'll still happily read it in the shop and screw them over?
    So, you've never worked retail or know how the comic book stores work?

In retail, items are displayed for potential customers to LOOK at and decide if they want to buy it.

In every comic book store I've ever shopped at since the 1980s, owners also do the same. They also do subscriptions and pre-orders, with the expectation that the customer WILL buy what they specifically ordered for that customer. Though I've had several owners allow me to not buy an issue if it turns out it isn't something I really don't want, I rarely do that, because THAT would be screwing over the comic book store over, especially if it's a lower selling title. So, yes, I did tell my store owner, "$9??? No thank you. I'm not buying that sight unseen."

Since I specifically did NOT pre-order this book, and went into my store early enough on Wednesday to look at the shelf copy, no surprise, my comic book store owner had zero to say, except he thought it was over priced also. Especially given I also looked at the Scarlet Witch Annual BEFORE deciding to buy it and pre-order the rest of the event -- cause that's how retail and comic book stores work.

Newsflash. I also try on clothes at stores BEFORE buying. I eat samples at Costco BEFORE buying the food. I RETURN items to stores after I buy them per their return policies, if I get home and decide I don't want them for whatever reason.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderTBliss View Post
    Yet rather than say "$9 no thank you" you'll still happily read it in the shop and screw them over?
    Nobody made the store order the book.

Remember Marvel and Dc only cares about one thing and one thing ONLY-PRE-ORDERS.

And this is NOT ME saying-it's Marvel writers openly saying that. Dr. Eve Ewing was the most blunt about it.

Once that book reaches the store-they don't care. They don't care if your store has 100 unsold X-Men or Ms Marvel books.

Their attitude is "you ordered what you wanted and we gave it to you."

And the ONLY reason we get second printing is because they already had it in their mind how many books were going to be made.

So if they have LOW expectations for say Storm and only made a first printing of 40K and those sell out. They will make say another 10K and that is why you see some books with almost every printing of a title on the shelf. Looking at YOU Star Wars.

And how is Reviresco screwing over a store? Can't do that when you have more than ONE venue to get these books.

We can point to Midtown Comics ALONE. How many times have they had sales of 70-90% off on books?
    Don't think for one minute we won't see this series at Midtown for $2.25 or lower before this year is over. Even if you toss in $6 shipping and tax.

What looks better? $18 for the whole run (regular covers) or $48 different covers from your store?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    She (my big sis)almost looked dead a$$ stunned when i mentioned marvel had no black male actors of prominence that could protect a role the way chad did with BP and her brain had to race to something before heading back to " but coogler said" and i knew to just let it ride.
    Because most folks only cared that SHURI was now the lead. Logic and common sense be darned.

You are trying to start a new universe it's not the same 616 or 1610 but all solicits show the same three white dudes that were the premiere for ultimate universe in the first place. No thanks.
    Because if they try to veer from that-the usual suspects will throw fits and some stores will "lower" the number of books they want.

Nothing different seems to be done. It's a new universe-you SHOULD be able to do whatever.

Thunderball get turned into Hulk instead of Bruce.
    Blue Marvel, Emma, Shang and Bruce become the Fantastic Four.
    Carol becomes Cap America
    Original Cap Marvel returns
    Falcon becomes Silver Surfer

Have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because most folks only cared that SHURI was now the lead. Logic and common sense be darned.
    Nothing different seems to be done. It's a new universe-you SHOULD be able to do whatever.

Thunderball get turned into Hulk instead of Bruce.
    Blue Marvel, Emma, Shang and Bruce become the Fantastic Four.
    Carol becomes Cap America
    Original Cap Marvel returns
    Falcon becomes Silver Surfer

Have fun with it.
    A rebooted Ultimate Universe is still the Ultimate Universe, with some details here and there changed. It makes full sense that many things, such as lead characters, still seem familiar. If Marvel does what you propose and "the usual suspects will throw fits", it wouldn't be because of having a black Hulk, Fantastic Four, Captain Marvel, and Silver Surfer: it would be because of false advertising. If they bring back the Ultimate universe the basic thing I want is, duh, the Ultimate universe, either in a continuation or in a soft reboot that still seems somewhat like the original one.

By the way, Marvel has already introduced some months ago an alternate universe whose basic premise is "the Marvel Universe as usual, except that everybody is afro-american". It was in Bishop: War College. Instead of derailing this thread with those proposals with no basis on the actual things seen, announced, or used in the older Ultimate universe, why not focus your energy on trying to make Marvel keep that universe relevant and expand its lore?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    A rebooted Ultimate Universe is still the Ultimate Universe, with some details here and there changed. It makes full sense that many things, such as lead characters, still seem familiar. If Marvel does what you propose and "the usual suspects will throw fits", it wouldn't be because of having a black Hulk, Fantastic Four, Captain Marvel, and Silver Surfer: it would be because of false advertising. If they bring back the Ultimate universe the basic thing I want is, duh, the Ultimate universe, either in a continuation or in a soft reboot that still seems somewhat like the original one.

By the way, Marvel has already introduced some months ago an alternate universe whose basic premise is "the Marvel Universe as usual, except that everybody is afro-american". It was in Bishop: War College. Instead of derailing this thread with those proposals with no basis on the actual things seen, announced, or used in the older Ultimate universe, why not focus your energy on trying to make Marvel keep that universe relevant and expand its lore?
    How is anything in that post saying that the Marvel U should be all black. this is exactly why i think the Ultimate U is being revitalized and i hope they let all the familiar white heros be in the new universe while they expand diversity in the main one. Also if it's 6160 instead of 1610 it shouldn't be the exact same people any way but we know what's up.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Actually, what skyvolt2000 says is that he wants the Ultimate universe to be basically all-afroamerican (don't say "black", that's offensive). Moving all the wasp heroes to a secondary and eventually expendable universe, so that the others get all the spotlight? That's your idea, and it's something else. By the way... not gonna happen.

As for the reason they are bringing back the Ultimate universe, there's no need to seek hidden agendas in it. Let Hickman himself explain it

"What made the Ultimate Universe originally really interesting was that it was a reflection of the world outside your window, in the moment that you were living in. What does it look like in the world we’re living in now? It’s kind of shocking how much the world has changed in that period of time. The idea of what it would be like to see the genesis of Super Heroes in a brand new world is a really fascinating exercise."

Actually, what skyvolt2000 says is that he wants the Ultimate universe to be basically all-afroamerican (don't say "black", that's offensive). Moving all the wasp heroes to a secondary and eventually expendable universe, so that the others get all the spotlight? That's your idea, and it's something else. By the way... not gonna happen.

As for the reason they are bringing back the Ultimate universe, there's no need to seek hidden agendas in it. Let Hickman himself explain it
    As a black American i actually find african american more offensive as it denies that my Father is a black carribean man born in Jamaica. So i personally prefer black but the post you responded to last i checked Carol is a white woman, the original captain marvel was a white man, Emma is a white woman, Shang is an asian man, and Bruce is a white man, so how is that implying "All Afro-American."

And if this is new, and if we should let hickman handle it, why did you feel it was valid to say all the characters in a supposedly new universe should be the same as one that didn't work because it wouldn't work if they weren't?

And i'm sorry if i look outside my window i see at least a few black people, white people, latin people, so i just don't know what window hickman and some of ya'll looking out. I mean i can imagine, maybe someone should post a photo at these windows cause yeah. The market, the club, school, like what windows?
    Last edited by jwatson; 06-28-2023 at 01:14 PM.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    As a black American i actually find african american more offensive as it denies that my Father is a black carribean man born in Jamaica. So i personally prefer black but the post you responded to last i checked Carol is a white woman, the original captain marvel was a white man, Emma is a white woman, Shang is an asian man, and Bruce is a white man, so how is that implying "All Afro-American."

And if this is new, and if we should let hickman handle it, why did you feel it was valid to say all the characters in a supposedly new universe should be the same as one that didn't work because it wouldn't work if they weren't?

And i'm sorry if i look outside my window i see at least a few black people, white people, latin people, so i just don't know what window hickman and some of ya'll looking out. I mean i can imagine, maybe someone should post a photo at these windows cause yeah. The market, the club, school, like what windows?
    Agreed bro on all accounts. No one said shit about it being an all black universe.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

My country had not faced the conflicts over this that the US has, so I'm used to just saying "black", as it doesn't have any connotations or second meanings. It's just the word that defines people with a certain skin color, and that's it. But some months ago I casually used the term and there was much scandal because, as I was told, the term is offensive in America and I have to use "Afro-American" instead. But now it seems that "Afro-American" is also offensive, and I have to use the word "black". So, "black" and "Afro-American" are both offensive? Got it.

And yes, the original Captain Marvel is a wasp. But I have seen enough of those online discussions to know that there are people who use "the original Captain Marvel" to make reference to Monica Rambo, as they feel that she has been displaced from the role by the wasp Carol Danvers, and/or should have been the MCU Captain Marvel. An idea that has several mistakes in it (among others, that neither of them is the original), but it's out there. And given the tone of the post I was replying to, it seemed a reasonable assumption that the guy was among those who fall into that misunderstanding.

Astonishing Member

Its a Ultimates adjacent universe. I don't expect the Maker to rewrite everything in this new Ultimate Universe. Just shaping the new universe into what he wants.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1673647430565343233

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Its a Ultimates adjacent universe. I don't expect the Maker to rewrite everything in this new Ultimate Universe. Just shaping the new universe into what he wants.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1673647430565343233
    I think that's something a lot of people won't really understand until we get a better look into this world. From everything being said from Hickman to Hitch, this is a totally separate world from the old Ultimate Universe, it's not a continuation or a soft reboot of it. So prior developments, characterizations and even history should be expected to be thrown out the window. This is basically the old Ultimate Universe in name and maybe design aesthetics. I think Hitch said in his interview this UU is to the old UU what the OG UU was to 616.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    So, you've never worked retail or know how the comic book stores work?
    No need to explain yourself. Marvel wanted nine dollars for one book.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

And yes, the original Captain Marvel is a wasp. But I have seen enough of those online discussions to know that there are people who use "the original Captain Marvel" to make reference to Monica Rambo, as they feel that she has been displaced from the role by the wasp Carol Danvers, and/or should have been the MCU Captain Marvel. An idea that has several mistakes in it (among others, that neither of them is the original), but it's out there. And given the tone of the post I was replying to, it seemed a reasonable assumption that the guy was among those who fall into that misunderstanding.
    No, Captain Marvel wasn't a WASP. You do know what it stands for, right? White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. Which kind of implies English. Mar-Vell wasn't even an Earthling, so he wasn't a Protestant (Protestants are non-Catholic Christians), and therefore, was not a WASP.

Also, it's Rambeau, not Rambo.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No, Captain Marvel wasn't a WASP. You do know what it stands for, right? White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. Which kind of implies English. Mar-Vell wasn't even an Earthling, so he wasn't a Protestant (Protestants are non-Catholic Christians), and therefore, was not a WASP.
    Don't worry, I'm sure that if ol' Mahr Vehl got into this human problem, people will figure out where to categorize him. It would go more or less like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Also, it's Rambeau, not Rambo.
    Yes, I know, but since Wandavision (the first time I heard that name spoken out loud, rather than written) I decided I like that one better. It's the magic of puns.