Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

That line is not what most people think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Including new data pages by Jonathan Hickman
    Nooooooooooo! Bad Hickman! Bad! No more data pages! Stop wasting precious pages for this.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 06-17-2023 at 02:32 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Nooooooooooo! Bad Hickman! Bad! No more data pages! Stop wasting precious pages for this.
    Just wait until the day comes when a comic by Hickman is literally just a cool cover and ALL data pages.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Maybe he should write a handbook? That WOULD be entirely data pages!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Love those data pages. He got the idea from Legion of Super Heroes (5YL).

If he can't convey what he wants to do in the flow of the comic then it should not be in the comic. He is wasting precious space and modern comics are already padded enough as it is. It is so self-indulgent it makes Bendis look restrained.

I know Marvel doubled down on writers after Image Comics formed but at some point the editors have to do their jobs.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 06-18-2023 at 09:23 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

If he can't convey what he wants to do in the flow of the comic then it should not be in the comic. He is wasting precious space and modern comics are already padded enough as it is. It is so self-indulgent it makes Bendis look restrained.

I know Marvel doubled down on writers after Image Comics formed but at some point the editors have to do their jobs.
    Nah you will learn to like it and buy 456 copies of every issus for yourself.

Astonishing Member

The data packages are to take the load off the artists since he (Hickman) makes the pages himself iirc.

https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/01/01/...-about-charts/

Here's an interview explaining the inspiration behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The data packages are to take the load off the artists since he (Hickman) makes the pages himself iirc.

https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/01/01/...-about-charts/

Here's an interview explaining the inspiration behind it.
    That's very nice of him, but unnecessary. While he points out his various influences he also backs up a point I made earlier. Those comics were much more COMPRESSED back then. We don't have time to waste on that.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Data pages are based for lore/hypercrises nerds like me.

The data pages usually don't count against the page total for issues as far as I know, so it's not actually wasting anything.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Yeah, as I recall with his X-Men run…the data pages were just additional pages to the standard 20 pages of art.

I like them and have no issue with it. It’s nice to read a book longer than a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Data pages are based for lore/hypercrises nerds like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    I read real books besides comics. Datapages and Bendis' dialogues are no problem for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    The data pages usually don't count against the page total for issues as far as I know, so it's not actually wasting anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Yeah, as I recall with his X-Men run…the data pages were just additional pages to the standard 20 pages of art.

I like them and have no issue with it. It’s nice to read a book longer than a few minutes.
    I like you guys absolutely love them. I think it’s part of Hickman’s lore and people should expect it now. I’m looking forward to Ultimate Invasion and these extra data pages to interpret the wheeling and dealings of the new Ultimate Universe that’s coming about.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member

Variant cover for issue 2
    large-2383623.jpg