Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I don't think average people are aware of the Illuminati doing secret rich and powerful people stuff like having one country pretend to be the bad guy and then switching it up the next generation.
    Well I checked in issue 2 during the media event one of the news reporters mentions that all the nation states have been consolidated by the maker and it’s led to a “new golden age”?
    Last edited by Wally West; 09-29-2023 at 05:51 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    The map was shown. It's the NAU. Just America is primary over my home country Canada and Mexico. The city of Manhattan appeared in Issue 2. The Maker made his own territory system linked together in secret.

One side pretends to be the villains for awhile until it rotates. But that's all probably thrown out now because the NAU heroes going aganist the world order for real.

Howard mentioned the Technocrats wininng USA. And one of the reporters in issue 2 mentioned the Incorporated Nation Sates.

There is also alternativs history from 1963 to today.
    So WW2 and everything presumably still happened it’s just that maker has been altering events in modern history that slowly led to him consolidating countries?

The one thing that is really realistic is that even in our world conflicts are largely performative and we have went from Cold War with Russia to “War on terror” to China while the rich and powerful slowly consolidated power over the years. I do find that aspect interesting and really contemporary.

Astonishing Member

The world doesn't know about the Villian part.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Thanks for the share. It’s appreciated. I like where the UU is going. I was really trepidatious, but I like what Hickman has set up here. So ready for this issue to drop and get things rolling.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

That preview looks good. Looks like, despite being younger and going by Iron Lad, Tony is still Tony… and Steve Rogers is Captain America, and Thor Odinson is Thor. So I’m encouraged that this may end up being more of an updated version of the Ultimate U after all. Now I just need to see the X-men…

… which, of course, I’m wondering a lot about. Assuming they get pulled together and formed in the present day now too, like these Ultimates, how will it happen? Who will be the initial team? Will it follow a similar lineup of the original Ultimate X-men comic with the “core four” of Cyclops, Storm, Jean and Logan plus a few others? Is there a Weapon X in this universe? Is that where Wolverine has been all this time? Are mutants a naturally occurring phenomenon in this world (like in the 616) or are they a product of mankind’s experiments (like in the 1610)? Inquiring minds want to know.

Unfortunately I don’t even think we’ll hear anything about the UXM book at NYCC in a couple of weeks, as nothing has been teased. At least not yet.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I don't understand this whole "world outside your window" thing?

It may have been true for the previous iteration of the Ultimate line, but it may not be true for this one.

Also was it stated anywhere that was the rule for the previous Ultimate line?
    I think there's layers to that, right?

The original Ultimate U in 2000 was, in its eyes, "a good place." Capitalism had won, history was over, democracy was rising up across the world with the US as watchdog/vanguard. Then 9/11 happened, and suddenly the good place was under attack and we had to protect it against "threats." Ultimates working for the US government was seen as a good thing: the all-american monsters to fight the coming threat. So it was the world circa 2000 but with new twists on familiar Capes

The new ultimate U....is a "bad place". It's a madman's project guided by a secret unelected cabal. The job isn't protecting it; it's fixing it so there are checks on power. And the familiar capes? They're guerilla fighters, criminals trying to topple the wretched status quo. They are guests from a better world who can save this one.

Take it from Howard's journal: "I am so tired of this world...I now know that it is a false, fallen world that we paint as 'good enough,' but under its skin, we all know it's rotten to the core...all the things i have made are tainted with a patina of evil...but only innocent eyes can see it for what it could be...it's never too late to change the world around you...you just have to fight...and you have to win."

I wanted to wait for the conclusion of the mini series before sharing my thoughts on this story. I absolutely loved the original UU and was very excited to have a dream team such as Hickman and Hitch to bring in this new era. Hitch for his part definitely delivered with some fantastic art but the only problem is Hickman decided to stop fucking hoopin. This was probably the worst thing I have read of Hickman and honestly I feel nothing for this new UU.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Astonishing Member

Some of the origins and aborted origins of characters are closer to 616's. But without all the retcons 616 accumulated to the various origins. Some of the origins are new or different.

You have to keep in mind while the Technocrats are in charge of the NAU,
    every other incorporated nation states may have different gov'ts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Thanks for the share. ItÂ’s appreciated. I like where the UU is going. I was really trepidatious, but I like what Hickman has set up here. So ready for this issue to drop and get things rolling.
    I don't know, I may have given up on Hickman. Comics that I like have a good balance of Ego and Id. Hickman has the ego part down but his comics just aren't good at the Id part.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I wanted to wait for the conclusion of the mini series before sharing my thoughts on this story. I absolutely loved the original UU and was very excited to have a dream team such as Hickman and Hitch to bring in this new era. Hitch for his part definitely delivered with some fantastic art but the only problem is Hickman decided to stop fucking hoopin. This was probably the worst thing I have read of Hickman and honestly I feel nothing for this new UU.
    Because it is not the Ultimate Universe. It is an alternate universe created by Hickman and called Ultimate Universe. You could perfectly call it Hickmanverse and it would be the same. Basically Marvel here is recycling the brand to sell something different. Same as what has been done before with 2099, when they have created different 2099 versions as if were the same.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I don't think there's be much point to bringing back 1610.

I'm not sure I'm sold on 6160 either, but I'm glad it's not 1610.

Mighty Member

I'm a big fan of Hickman, but Ultimate Invasion was Hickman at his worst. It completely lacks emotion; we don't connect with any of the characters. The concepts are so complicated, and the plans are so subtle that we can't grasp where it's going. It's almost like a parody of Hickman. I've read worse; there's still an author with a unique style, but at no point do we become attached to the characters and the stakes. As a result, I'm worried about GODS.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I'm a big fan of Hickman, but Ultimate Invasion was Hickman at his worst. It completely lacks emotion; we don't connect with any of the characters. The concepts are so complicated, and the plans are so subtle that we can't grasp where it's going. It's almost like a parody of Hickman. I've read worse; there's still an author with a unique style, but at no point do we become attached to the characters and the stakes. As a result, I'm worried about GODS.
    This is why you should never let a writer be completely free. The more freedom they have, the more they start falling into their own excesses because no one is telling them to stop.

Which is the perfect example of what an editor's job is, but sadly modern editors at the Big 2 instead only enable their writers instead of advising them.

Damn. I hope GODS avoids these shortcomings.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-01-2023 at 01:41 PM.

I've been worried about GODS for a while now. Feels like they're trying too hard to make it a big thing in the Marvel Universe but I'm not sure it's going to catch on.