Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    They did run a security clearance check on Rage, but in order to protect privacy for secret identity concerns the check was run by an automated system looking for specific red flags. It didn't catch Rage being underage because no one had thought to have the program actually check the person's age -- a simple oversight. I guess when they designed the program it never occurred to them that there could be someone like Rage who physically appears to be a full grown adult but is actually younger.

Presumably after they learned the truth about Rage they made some modifications to the background check program to close that gap!
    Yeah, I remember that scene. It was interesting because a lot of Larry Hama's short run was about the rules and regulations involved in being an Avenger. Mostly the program checked for any connection with criminal activity. Background, relatives, associates, etc... A 13 year old clearly had none of those. I guess not even Tony Stark can forsee everthing when writing a security program.

Peace

Ultimate Member

They did run a security clearance check on Rage, but in order to protect privacy for secret identity concerns the check was run by an automated system looking for specific red flags. It didn't catch Rage being underage because no one had thought to have the program actually check the person's age -- a simple oversight. I guess when they designed the program it never occurred to them that there could be someone like Rage who physically appears to be a full grown adult but is actually younger.

Presumably after they learned the truth about Rage they made some modifications to the background check program to close that gap!
    Probably an 'age' category seized up and emitted smoke when they tried to check the age of Avengers like Captain America (1920s?), Thor (2000+), Gilgamesh (4000+), Sersi (like Gilgamesh, but moisturizes so you can't tell), Vision (a few months old when he became an Avenger!), Namor (doesn't bother to keep track in human years, they don't have 'seasons' in Atlantis...), etc.

Steve was born on 4 July, 1922.

I guess nobody read Shazam comics?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

I wonder how useful the average background checks would be, in the Avengers.

Not like Starfox, Thor, Sersi et all would have verifiable contacts. Wanda, Clint, Sandman were all public villains.

Those three are far from the only examples of course. Quicksilver, Black Widow, Vision, Wonder Man, and Rogue come to mind. Justice technically as well, he did jail time for manslaughter, killing his Dad.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Those three are far from the only examples of course. Quicksilver, Black Widow, Vision, Wonder Man, and Rogue come to mind. Justice technically as well, he did jail time for manslaughter, killing his Dad.
    I know, right?! But, don't forget about Scott Lang (served a prison sentence for burglary, then paroled for good behavior):

The truth about Victor Shade has been revealed.
    spoilers:
    He's Ultron. Hank got separated from him at the end of the Ant-Man mini at the cost of being aged up. He's been hiding in Whirlwind since Hank "killed" Cannon.
    end of spoilers

Issue 4 is the reveal of the two big mysteries- what is Hank doing and who is Vic Shade,? It works as a denouement but it could be considered an info dump. It will probably read better in trade.

I actually like the idea of them investigating a new Scourge of the Underworld, but it was mostly just set up.

Superhero coroners and investigating cape crimes is actually an interesting concept to explore.

It's funny how Jan on covers is wearing suits but in the interiors she's pretty much always been wearing skirts.

For some reason Ewing Moon Knight comes off eerier than he does in his own book, though I like the logic that gets him involved in the case.

I'm still not sure if I accept this as Hank, especially if he's permanently old, but I figured Ewing would tie back to his Ant-Men mini that started it all.

I appreciate that Jan actually talked about all the wonderful and imaginative stuff Hank has done before saying he created monsters.

Notice that Jan instinctively called Hank her "husband" instead of her ex-husband in her internal narration until she was diving deeper into her thoughts. That and that the synopsis for next issue says she considers herself a widow.

Poor Hank. Stuck in the past, grew old, still carrying the same demons and off his meds. And he's so desperate to stop Ultron he's come up with a Lethal Legion gang to do it.

Jan was partnered with Ultron all along! I wonder if there's more to it than that. Also it makes the issue with Vision funnier because it was Viz and his "dad" going at it.

Ultimate Member

Sure hope there's some logic to the Lethal Legion that was recruited

Another convoluted retcon for MCU synergy… I hope Pym returns to normal soon, but at least he’s spoilers:
    alive?
    end of spoilers

Can't believe they've gone down the synergy road with Hank to make him look like an old man/Michael Douglas. At least they've left Janet as she is, for now. Although looking like Michelle Pfeiffer wouldn't be too bad for her!

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    Can't believe they've gone down the synergy road with Hank to make him look like an old man/Michael Douglas. At least they've left Janet as she is, for now. Although looking like Michelle Pfeiffer wouldn't be too bad for her!
    Hank looking like a younger Michael Douglas would be more ideal.

The good news and bad news routine.

The good news.
    spoilers:
    Hank Pym is finally free of Pymtron! Thank you Ant-Iversary!
    end of spoilers Now if we can get Ant-Vengers

The bad news.
    spoilers:
    Hank's old. I'm not sure if this actually needs spoiler tags but yeah.
    end of spoilers

But yeah the synergy is strong with this one. I sure hope Janet doesn't get aged up somehow. Now that her comic didn't sell they might be tempted to go full synergy. Please oh please spare Janet and keep her as the Winsome Wasp!

Hmm... would they dare do that? Send Janet and Nadia into a time trap and they come back aged up 20 years? Which would make Janet in her 50s (still younger than her MCU counterpart) and Nadia in her 30s (which is how old Hope, the MCU character she's based on, is).