Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Do you think Mon-El is a wasted character?

He's basically superman that gets no very little story elements centered around him and spends 90% of his time as a spectre stuck in the phantom zone. He only gets any exposure in the legion of superheroes and even then he takes a backseat to Superboy/supergirl. He honestly seems like a wasted character and could have been a nice partner for superman.

DC has a LOT of characters and each of tgem have fans, even Gunfire or the Legion's Bouncing Boy. I don't feel any of them are wasted. They are just in need of a space to shine and a caring, motivated creative team that both understands them and wants to celebrate them.

Hopefully with the change to TPTB we will get to see the DCUs diversity of characters and powers embraced.

This is a great question. Having read LOSH for decades, I've had this as a fleeting thought on occasion, but somehow never put it into words like you just did. Thank you for that.

While I'm sure we could get into a long debate with fans choosing both sides, my simple opinion is that Mon-El is a wasted character if Superboy/Superman is constantly attached to versions of the Legion that he is in.

I think Mon El needs to be removed from The Legion if anyone is going to take him seriously. As pointed out He is always taking a back seat to Supergilr/Superboy/Superman.

I would love to see a Mon El mini or even ongoing where he finds a planet of his own to protect away from the Legion and works to prove himself as more then just Superboy Lite.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I think Mon-El is a good character, but there probably have been many wasted opportunities to use him/create stories for him.

I have not heard about him in a very long time. Has he appeared in things recently?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I really like Mon-El myself.

Did Mon-El write this thread?
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member

He's my favorite member of the Legion.

His original back story is hilarious. He's supposed to be Kal's "big brother".

He literally slapped some sense in Kal once.

The other thing about his origin is that it shows Clark's paranoia.

He gets about as much time as any other Legionnaire outside the trinity core and Brainy.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

The Legion is one of the two teams that got me in to comics, so ALL the members hold a special place in my heart.
    Having read everything to do with the team for 55 years now, I can say no, he isn’t.
    Granted, he may seem a little repetitious in stories that include Superboy or Supergirl, but take the Kryptonians out of the mix, and he’s a true cornerstone for the Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I think Mon El needs to be removed from The Legion if anyone is going to take him seriously. As pointed out He is always taking a back seat to Supergilr/Superboy/Superman.

I would love to see a Mon El mini or even ongoing where he finds a planet of his own to protect away from the Legion and works to prove himself as more then just Superboy Lite.
    Mon-El has NEVER thought of himself as "just Superboy Lite." He's not interested in establishing himself as an independent hero, nor does he think the Legion is holding him back. All you're doing is showing that you have absolutely no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Every character is not meant to be a headliner. Mon-El in particular has been shown as being mostly interested in leaving heroics behind altogether and returning to be an explorer.
    Last edited by Timber Wolf-By-Night; 06-10-2023 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Mon-El has NEVER thought of himself as "just Superboy Lite." He's not interested in establishing himself as an independent hero, nor does he think the Legion is holding him back. All you're doing is showing that you have absolutely no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Every character is not meant to be a headliner. Mon-El in particular has been shown as being mostly interested in leaving heroics behind altogether and returning to be an explorer.
    I never said he thinks of himself as Superboy lite but that is really how he comes across.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

No, not at all, I love Mon-El. To me he signifies the Legion of Super Heroes being able to sell strong enough that you don't require trinity support like Superboy. (You will note that the last poorly selling run featured Superboy)

In my opinion, the Legion should be it's own self contained universe, I don't mind the odd time travel back in time, or old villains (Darkseid/Mordru) being in existence, but otherwise, I don't want Legion members interacting with the rest of the dcu.

Should he go back to being Valor?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    No, not at all, I love Mon-El. To me he signifies the Legion of Super Heroes being able to sell strong enough that you don't require trinity support like Superboy. (You will note that the last poorly selling run featured Superboy)

In my opinion, the Legion should be it's own self contained universe, I don't mind the odd time travel back in time, or old villains (Darkseid/Mordru) being in existence, but otherwise, I don't want Legion members interacting with the rest of the dcu.
    I wish mon-el ended up being an the British version of Superman. Similar to how Knight and squire are the british version of batman and robin. And DC could expand the justice league pass american version and make international version from another nation.