Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Some thoughts on Kamala Kahn

I think they need to do one of two things with Kamala Kahn now I think it'd be interesting to see her lose her faith like she comes back and reveals she didn't see a white light only darkness and comes back traumatized by her death falling into bad habits and going down a bad girl route. My other thought is they should let her stay dead and have her death make an impact like heroes try everything to bring her back but get shut down big time and are told there will be no more resurrections and for death to have some meaning in the comics from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    I think they need to do one of two things with Kamala Kahn now I think it'd be interesting to see her lose her faith like she comes back and reveals she didn't see a white light only darkness and comes back traumatized by her death falling into bad habits and going down a bad girl route. My other thought is they should let her stay dead and have her death make an impact like heroes try everything to bring her back but get shut down big time and are told there will be no more resurrections and for death to have some meaning in the comics from now on.
    Both these things seem to be taking away rather than adding to the character. Got any more positive ideas?

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

This whole thing is a gimmick. It's not meant for her to grow as a character. It's just for movie synergy. Your suggestions sound like an indie comic that would discuss an existential crisis, not a character meant to sell merchandise at the Disney store when you get off the Guardians of the Galaxy ride.

Kamala's return feels inevitable so the first option feels like the most practical of your two options. Giving her a crisis of faith would be interesting to me.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-10-2023 at 01:10 PM.

No thank you
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

I don't think Kamala would turn bad if she got rid of her faith.
    She is a genuine good person, not a fake one who would do good things just to get rewards and avoid punishments in the afterlife.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Extraordinary Member

Does Bruno get any benefits from the "bad girl route" Kamala goes down?
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I don't think Kamala would turn bad if she got rid of her faith.
    She is a genuine good person, not a fake one who would do good things just to get rewards and avoid punishments in the afterlife.
    not all "bad girls" are evil. But she could find some of her more mondain hangups gone when she loses her faith
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Kamala isn't that strongly linked to her faith in the minds of the readers like Daredevil or Nightcrawler are linked to theirs so a crisis of faith wouldn't really affect the readers all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Does Bruno get any benefits from the "bad girl route" Kamala goes down?
    BWAHAHAHA! This is Bruno we are talking about. He will probably stand around and scream "This isn't who you are!" as Kamala does stuff.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Yeah, honestly, Kamala's brother, and her friend Nakia, are both much more devout than she is. Kamala embraces the morals of the Quran, but doesn't wear a headscarf like Nakia or constantly pray like her brother (he was actually criticised for spending too much time on religion and not enough on finding a job - he ends up getting a job at the mosque). Kamala also gets tempted by pork, which she calls infidel meat, and that and sneaking out to be Ms. Marvel are the only ways she really rebels.

As for the whole not seeing a light - she wouldn't remember anyway due to way Krakoan resurrection works, they'll be using a memory backup from before she was slain. She didn't remember the afterlife the first time either because her death was undone by Mephisto rewinding time.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The crisis of faith can still be a good idea, just depends on the execution. It can be a story arc where she loses her faith, turns bad, realizes that being bad is bad, and finds her way back to being good.

That goes against Kamala's mantra. Good is not a thing you are, it's a thing you do.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That goes against Kamala's mantra. Good is not a thing you are, it's a thing you do.
    Of course it does. That's what an identity crisis is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    The crisis of faith can still be a good idea, just depends on the execution. It can be a story arc where she loses her faith, turns bad, realizes that being bad is bad, and finds her way back to being good.
    What if I told you that Tom King or Jason Aaron would be willing to do the first three things you mentioned with the Kamala Khan character but forget to do the fourth?

Now that I got that out of my system I can be serious. Nothing is going to change but the power set. The character has been placed on a pedestal and can't be taken off of it. Which is a shame because the character has been around long enough that a deconstruction is due. Everyone gets one at some point.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 06-13-2023 at 11:12 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Actually, my proposal would not "change" the character, if by the end of the story arc she's back to her usual self.