Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    While you are right about popularity and development, creator credit usually goes to the ones who first conceived the characters in their first appearance.
    This is like the case with Bill Finger. He created Batman as we know Batman but Bob Kane was the original conceiver of the Dark Knight as we know Batman to be.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    They were work for hire. Annoying when creators try to take away a company's characters away from fans.
    As a fan I'd be happy if they took my favorite character away from that garbage company that is Marvel lol.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby may created Groot, but they never developed him into the Groot we all know today.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    They were work for hire. Annoying when creators try to take away a company's characters away from fans.
    I would argue who helped make a character what they were in comics. The person who dictated their acts and pains or the person who showed and conveyed it to the reader. Work for hire or not if we are talking the expression of who these characters are and what the fans do have, you can't take away what the artist gave. I defy the person who truly loves comics to find one run that spoke to their heart and completely disengage it of it's art and tell me it's still what you came to love.

It's one of the few reasons i give a lot of leeway to comic fans when it comes to casting decisions and stuff because that visual can be hard to break where as in many other mediums it's the written word or based on it, this is from conception designed to be seen not just visualized.
    Last edited by jwatson; 06-12-2023 at 07:16 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    It was the same for Winter Solider. Who gets the ultimate credit for him? Simon and Kirby who created Bucky? Or Brubaker who did the redesign and turned him into what he is today?

It can get pretty messy I think.

No it'd not messy give credit where credit is due.

Stan and Kirby created Black Panther. Give them their credit.

It was Priest and Hudlin that put Black Panther on the map as those runs are the longest he has ever had.

Give them their credit.

Steve Ditko created Speedball & Squirrel Girl .

Yet who did the work to build them up?

You gotta give credit to the folks who put in the work beyond creating characters.

It's like with Dan DeCarlo-Archie screwed him and his son over.

We want to talk about Marvel screwing folks-Archie Comics is in a league of it's own.

TONS of stories do not have credits of who wrote what. Including some of the earliest comic work by Tom DeFalco.

And TONS of art work retraced. Chuck Clayton was created in the 1970s yet in some Archie digests with stories from 1930-1950-he's there.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    No it'd not messy give credit where credit is due.

Stan and Kirby created Black Panther. Give them their credit.

It was Priest and Hudlin that put Black Panther on the map as those runs are the longest he has ever had.

Give them their credit.

Steve Ditko created Speedball & Squirrel Girl .

Yet who did the work to build them up?

You gotta give credit to the folks who put in the work beyond creating characters.

It's like with Dan DeCarlo-Archie screwed him and his son over.

We want to talk about Marvel screwing folks-Archie Comics is in a league of it's own.

TONS of stories do not have credits of who wrote what. Including some of the earliest comic work by Tom DeFalco.

And TONS of art work retraced. Chuck Clayton was created in the 1970s yet in some Archie digests with stories from 1930-1950-he's there.
    But the question becomes on a movie or show who gets the ultimate credit? Yes Stan Lee created the Xmen so in the credits of the movie created by Stan Lee. But do you also add "And Credit to Claremont who made them iconic?"

We all know Frank Miller is the main go to for Daredevil, but he did not create him. So in a movie who do you give the credit to? The person who created Daredevil or Miller who turned him from a low B lister at best to a low level A lister? The Movie had Frank Miller inspired images and story I would have given Miller a nod in the credits but that is not what movies do.

We as fans can and do give creaters and writers credit. But on a movie by line it becomes another matter.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Where you run into problems is characters like Agent Venom.

Flash Thompson was created by Stan and Steve.

The idea for Spider-man's black costume was purchased from a fan by Jim Shooter and given to Mike Zeck to redesign, but first appeared in a comic by Roger Stern using ideas he was given by John Bryne.

Defalco and Frenz wrote and drew the issues that established the costume was a living alien.
    Michelinie and McFarlane were the first to draw the character Venom, even if all they did for the design was slap a mouth on Spider-man's costume.
    Then Fred Van Lente and Stefano Caselli would then put Flash Thompson in the Venom suit.

So, who do you credit as creating Agent Venom?

(And yes I did have to look this up.)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Where you run into problems is characters like Agent Venom.

Flash Thompson was created by Stan and Steve.

The idea for Spider-man's black costume was purchased from a fan by Jim Shooter and given to Mike Zeck to redesign, but first appeared in a comic by Roger Stern using ideas he was given by John Bryne.

Defalco and Frenz wrote and drew the issues that established the costume was a living alien.
    Michelinie and McFarlane were the first to draw the character Venom, even if all they did for the design was slap a mouth on Spider-man's costume.
    Then Fred Van Lente and Stefano Caselli would then put Flash Thompson in the Venom suit.

So, who do you credit as creating Agent Venom?

(And yes I did have to look this up.)
    Man, I wish this was a question we had to ask of the live action movie.

Hardy would have been a great Flash...