Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Will Howard the Duck get his own film in the MCU?

Do any of you want to see Howard the Duck get his own film in the MCU?

He did have his own live action film in the eighties, but it was a major box office bomb. Widely regarded as one of the worst films ever made in history.

As of 2023, he has appeared in four films: Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Avengers: Endgame (cameo) and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. An alternate version of Howard appeared in the Disney+ animated series What If...?

Now Howard the Duck has made some appearances in the MCU, I think he should get his own live-action film. I would love to see a new Howard the Duck film.

A few Marvel characters such as Shang-Chi less known than Howard got their own live-action films which become modest box-office successes.

Yes, but only if it's a stealth sequel to the original Howard the Duck movie. Because chaos.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Do any of you want to see Howard the Duck get his own film in the MCU?
    Not really. Honestly, I don't know what story there is to tell with the character...at least not in a solo setting.

It might be worth a non-animated short or special that airs directly on Disney plus. Too risky to put the character to a movie budget.

He will not be in a big Budget movie. Too many people when they think of Howard the Duck think of the god awful movie. I wonder how many people who dont read comics even know he is a Marvel character.

Headlining Howard the Duck in a big film would be too big a risk and no way Disney rolls the dice on that.

Maybe as Wleakr said a Disney Animated short or some such thing but no way a stand alone film.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Cannot see it happening right now, anyway. Marvel needs to get its mojo back before trying something like that.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    He will not be in a big Budget movie. Too many people when they think of Howard the Duck think of the god awful movie. I wonder how many people who dont read comics even know he is a Marvel character.

Headlining Howard the Duck in a big film would be too big a risk and no way Disney rolls the dice on that.

Maybe as Wleakr said a Disney Animated short or some such thing but no way a stand alone film.
    Honestly no really remembers that movie but us. Anyway I'd prefer him to join the GOG.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Honestly no really remembers that movie but us. Anyway I'd prefer him to join the GOG.
    I will agree with you there. Most people have no idea that movie was a thing., But comic fans know about it and that will leave a sour taste in our mouths if they try and new one.

But even if the old movie was not around it would still be too big of a risk for Marvel to put him in a stand alone movie.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I will agree with you there. Most people have no idea that movie was a thing., But comic fans know about it and that will leave a sour taste in our mouths if they try and new one.

But even if the old movie was not around it would still be too big of a risk for Marvel to put him in a stand alone movie.
    Actually considering how a movie with a tree and talking Raccoon was a hit I don't really think it is too big a risk just don't over spend on it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Actually considering how a movie with a tree and talking Raccoon was a hit I don't really think it is too big a risk just don't over spend on it.
    They are part of a large cast and not carrying the movie. Plus the settings lend itself to unique characters, which is why Howard cameos make sense within it.

That is vastly different than giving said character a big budget movie where he's the focus.

I could see him maybe getting a Disney+ special but that would probably cost a lot because of the CG.

If James Gunn can make me cry over a racoon, he can make a good duck movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Well instead of giving Howard his own solo film, Disney could put Donald Duck in a MCU film, since they own the copyright.

A crossover between Howard and Donald....sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    If James Gunn can make me cry over a racoon, he can make a good duck movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Well instead of giving Howard his own solo film, Disney could put Donald Duck in a MCU film, since they own the copyright.

A crossover between Howard and Donald....sounds interesting.
    Fuck it, now all I want to see is a big budget DuckTales movie, thanks.

Invincible Member

We almost got and adult animated TV show with Howard a few years ago, but I guess it never made it into production.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Roger Rabbit/Rocky and Bulwinkle format for a movie where Howard is animated and the other characters are live action. Lean heavily into the social satire elements of the 70's/early 80's comics.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    They are part of a large cast and not carrying the movie. Plus the settings lend itself to unique characters, which is why Howard cameos make sense within it.

That is vastly different than giving said character a big budget movie where he's the focus.
    It really didn't have to be big budget it's a Howard the Duck movie not everything has to cost 100 million + anyway my point still stands if groot and RR can work so can a cgi duck.