Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It really didn't have to be big budget it's a Howard the Duck movie not everything has to cost 100 million + anyway my point still stands if groot and RR can work so can a cgi duck.
    I dont think that Groot and RR would have worked on their own in a movie. It may have done ok but it would not have been the level that GOTG was. As was pointed out by Wleakr they were part of a larger cast. So I dont think a stand alone with Howard would do well.

I dont like Howard but if they did it I would not mind seeing him as a parnter to someone else. He could work if he has someone to bounce things off of and him not being the main focus.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I dont think that Groot and RR would have worked on their own in a movie. It may have done ok but it would not have been the level that GOTG was. As was pointed out by Wleakr they were part of a larger cast. So I dont think a stand alone with Howard would do well.

I dont like Howard but if they did it I would not mind seeing him as a parnter to someone else. He could work if he has someone to bounce things off of and him not being the main focus.
    I don't know much about HTD but doesn't he have a supporting cast? Also if a groot RR movie came out during phase 1 of the mcu I definitely believe it would have been a hit

Incredible Member

It really didn't have to be big budget it's a Howard the Duck movie not everything has to cost 100 million + anyway my point still stands if groot and RR can work so can a cgi duck.
    By definition of being a MCU film means it's big budget. Otherwise, just put it on tv.

There is no MCU movie of just Groot or Rocket Raccoon. They are part of an ensemble. And it's unlikely to see a film focused on either of those characters alone. They've already told RR story within the GotG film and most likely will do Groot the same way.

I'm not saying it can't work, but not by itself. Right now the character is just doing easter egg cameos for fans that know who he is. Most don't even know the duck has a name.

And as someone mentioned, there was some HtD pitch that eventually got canx, so apparently the demand isn't there just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    By definition of being a MCU film means it's big budget. Otherwise, just put it on tv.

There is no MCU movie of just Groot or Rocket Raccoon. They are part of an ensemble. And it's unlikely to see a film focused on either of those characters alone. They've already told RR story within the GotG film and most likely will do Groot the same way.

I'm not saying it can't work, but not by itself. Right now the character is just doing easter egg cameos for fans that know who he is. Most don't even know the duck has a name.

And as someone mentioned, there was some HtD pitch that eventually got canx, so apparently the demand isn't there just yet.
    Black Widow is part of an ensemble cast. She finally got her own solo film after starring in Captain America, Iron Man and Avengers movies. Her standalone film was a modest box office hit.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Black Widow is part of an ensemble cast. She finally got her own solo film after starring in Captain America, Iron Man and Avengers movies. Her standalone film was a modest box office hit.
    You're comparing a live-action character, played by a hot actress, with character development across multiple films to Howard the Duck???

Plus the fact that Marvel had motive to check the female lead diversity box at some point.

For those truly wanting HtD, best to let Disney know soon, as their film slate appears full through at least 2027 and I don't think he's on the slate as of yet. Good luck!

Astonishing Member

Best part of the original Howard the Duck was Lea Thompson's underpants. The rest of the movie laid an egg. Oh, so clever. I wouldn't waste my development money on this - another Moibus flop.

If they do, they need Lea Thompson - and not just a cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I could see him maybe getting a Disney+ special but that would probably cost a lot because of the CG.
    Who needs CG? It could be Seth Green in a costume... yeah, that'd work! (actually, my idea for a "HtD" special would be Seth Green trying to get a HtD movie made and Lea Thompson trying to stop him from getting a HtD movie getting made.)

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I think you just gave Disney the idea for "Thor 5!" (Thor would of course be a frog in this one)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-14-2023 at 08:30 AM.

I know there's no right groot movie I'm saying if they made one in phase 1 it would have been a hit. Also no just because it's a mcu movie doesn't mean it has to cost 100 million × that's what movie studios don't understand there's nothing about a HD movie that needs to cost more than say 50 million or so.

Incredible Member

I know there's no right groot movie I'm saying if they made one in phase 1 it would have been a hit. Also no just because it's a mcu movie doesn't mean it has to cost 100 million × that's what movie studios don't understand there's nothing about a HD movie that needs to cost more than say 50 million or so.
    Bringing a human-size duck to "life" for an entire movie will cost 50 million before you even get to blowing anything up. And if you're not blowing anything up, what story are you telling with this character?

If a Groot movie would've been a hit, they wouldn't have opted to do a series of shorts and place them on Disney plus. BTW, there is also no Groot movie on the slate between now and 2027.

Bringing a human-size duck to "life" for an entire movie will cost 50 million before you even get to blowing anything up. And if you're not blowing anything up, what story are you telling with this character?

If a Groot movie would've been a hit, they wouldn't have opted to do a series of shorts and place them on Disney plus. BTW, there is also no Groot movie on the slate between now and 2027.
    Yes because there's no story unless things get blown up? I'm not sure about the cgi cost but I really don't think it would cost that much. I also no there's no Groot movie in the works that doesn't mean it wouldn't work or be a hit

Amazing Member

I loved the original HtD comics & have a soft spot for the movie, mainly for the memories of seeing it in the theater with my family.

For a new movie to work it would need someone who could do the absurd & weirdness of the Gerber comics justice.

And Dr Bong, definitely needs Dr Bong.

Incredible Member

Yes because there's no story unless things get blown up? I'm not sure about the cgi cost but I really don't think it would cost that much. I also no there's no Groot movie in the works that doesn't mean it wouldn't work or be a hit
    Pretty much every DC and Marvel film falls under being an action movie. I can't think of a single one that didn't have an explosion of some type while telling the story. Even if it's just a car blowing up. Oftentimes, it's a building or larger.

But maybe they could do a soap opera HtD, which just involves sitting at a bar and talking for 2 hours. Definitely wouldn't cost much to do that. Can't wait for that trailer!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandGold View Post
    I loved the original HtD comics & have a soft spot for the movie, mainly for the memories of seeing it in the theater with my family.

For a new movie to work it would need someone who could do the absurd & weirdness of the Gerber comics justice.

And Dr Bong, definitely needs Dr Bong.
    Yeah, it could work well as a comedy, which the original film was.

Pretty much every DC and Marvel film falls under being an action movie. I can't think of a single one that didn't have an explosion of some type while telling the story. Even if it's just a car blowing up. Oftentimes, it's a building or larger.

But maybe they could do a soap opera HtD, which just involves sitting at a bar and talking for 2 hours. Definitely wouldn't cost much to do that. Can't wait for that trailer!
    Hmmm. It could work better as a comedy than an action thriller.

Invincible Member

I don't know much about HTD but doesn't he have a supporting cast? Also if a groot RR movie came out during phase 1 of the mcu I definitely believe it would have been a hit
    He's most often paired with Beverly Switzer and the find themselves in odd situations. But they've a one point expanded the cast to include Paul Same, Winda Wester, and Bev's uncle and a guy who thought he was related to Tony Stark ( Fabian? ).

Invincible Member

And if you're not blowing anything up, what story are you telling with this character?
    It'd be an "adult" comedy...the main premise wouldn't be hard to get people into. The problem would be getting good script. Marvel's been at best hit or miss with Howard since Gerber and Bill Mantlo left.